Thread: Another Modern Performance Experience/Review

Donated: $10
    SpeedCircuit Disciple
    Eagle boner

2002 protege es turbo

its well worth the trip
    craig
    2002 pure white protege es
    Fully built speedcircuit motor on 16psi, spool stage 2 tubular manifold with tial 38mm external wastegate, custom downpipe by shoremotorsports, custom intake by me, custom blow down tube by me, hot and cold ic pipes, CustomMsp FMIC, greddy type rs bov, garrett t3 turbo, mpi with four extra injectors, ported and polished intake mani minus the vtcs, JoeP FCD, FM voltage clamp, GM 3 BAR map sensor, jspec intake cam, mazdaspeed exhaust cam, PAR 3rd and 4th gears double syncroed, M Factory LSD, spec lightweight flywheel, Exedy stage one clutch, stainless steel clutch line, Mental Addiction Motorsports catless midpipe, custom side exit exhaust, twm short shifter, awr front and rear motormount, AWR trans motor mount inserts, turbo xs high performance boost controller, throttle body coolant bypass mod, StopTech slotted with Axxis Ulitmates

Registered Member Protege_Speed's Avatar

2002.5 ES Auto with MSP Conversion

Did Buddy tune it on a dyno or just street driving? I should of had him tune my NA MPI. I too get the shock when I touch the frame and now there's a problem with my charging system. Not sure if all that is related though. I am going turbo real soon and I am going to see if I can have Buddy tune it and maybe ask Nick if he can install the turbo module as well.

MazdaSpeed 6

That sucks you weren't happy, but O2 tuning is very easy to do and he probably just wanted to be safe and not go above 10psi, I don't know. Yes, Dana's way works, but you are not utilizing the stock injectors to there fullest. With the O2 tuning, you don't need an O2 clamp, you are controlling it. I ran mine like this for some time and made the same power as controlling the MAF. The fact is the all the way's work, it's just about user prefference.

I tried it with a 3bar MAP and it didn't have fine enough resolution for me. I actually like the MAF control better because it gave better fine resolution. Perhaps a 2bar would have worked well, I may try it someday. Oh, O2 tuning uses negative numbers, so if you had those and he was like WTF, that's why.
    Custom 3" turbo back exhaust, Fujita CAI, MPI reworked stock turbo, Blitz SBC-id EBC, HKS BOV, SU motor mount, RX-8 wheels and autoEXE "low down" springs

MPI SW and key: go to post #56 and post# 94 for instructions
    /forum/showt...09#post2013109

Sea turtle

370z (Totalled)

i coulda sworn the main reason why there were so many issues with the MPI were because you cannot control the stock injectors (if you can it's still iffy). Correct me if i'm wrong please. I'm trying to get an edujamacation on this

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Tim
    That sucks you weren't happy, but O2 tuning is very easy to do and he probably just wanted to be safe and not go above 10psi, I don't know. Yes, Dana's way works, but you are not utilizing the stock injectors to there fullest. With the O2 tuning, you don't need an O2 clamp, you are controlling it. I ran mine like this for some time and made the same power as controlling the MAF. The fact is the all the way's work, it's just about user prefference.

I tried it with a 3bar MAP and it didn't have fine enough resolution for me. I actually like the MAF control better because it gave better fine resolution. Perhaps a 2bar would have worked well, I may try it someday. Oh, O2 tuning uses negative numbers, so if you had those and he was like WTF, that's why.

2001 Yellow Protege Mp3-T

you were mistaken
    -Joe
    2001 Yellow Mp3

750whp quest has begun... BlkZoomZoom's Avatar
    Donated: $40

Hemi Ram, 71 Plymth Scamp, 71 Plymth Duster 340, 69 Dart 340/4sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeph
    I bet he'll respond "I didn't actually install your MPI, one of my techs did, so its not my fault"

10:1 says at least one MAM groupie will throw in any dig he can.

Damn... Either I am good, or you guys are really friggin predictable.
    Performance:
    -Mazdaspeed-13.15 @ 105.6mph (zoom zoom)
    Mods:
    stock intake, stock pipes, stock turbo, stock intercooler, stock engine, stock ecu, stock tranny........ Wanna run?
    -Best Mph to date: 112.
    Gone, but not forgotten.

MazdaSpeed 6

Sure it works, and it works well. I have ONLY ran my car controlling the stock injectors via the MAF or the O2. I have tuned cars that ran well like this also.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Sea turtle

370z (Totalled)

k cool

Sea turtle

370z (Totalled)

Quote Originally Posted by KzA
    you were mistaken
    what a detailed response. could you summarize what you just said

Quote Originally Posted by BlkZoomZoom
    10:1 says at least one MAM groupie will throw in any dig he can.

Damn... Either I am good, or you guys are really friggin predictable.
    I can go back and see you doing the same thing. MPI groupie.

Donated: $10
    SpeedCircuit Disciple
    Eagle boner

2002 protege es turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Protege_Speed
    Did Buddy tune it on a dyno or just street driving? I should of had him tune my NA MPI. I too get the shock when I touch the frame and now there's a problem with my charging system. Not sure if all that is related though. I am going turbo real soon and I am going to see if I can have Buddy tune it and maybe ask Nick if he can install the turbo module as well.
    he street tunes it, but his street tune is very close to what a dyno tune would produce.
    craig
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2001 Yellow Protege Mp3-T

Quote Originally Posted by smo0f
    what a detailed response. could you summarize what you just said
    is there a problem? I was just saying that you were mistaken

Will work 4 Ninja powers Mazdarulez's Avatar

Mazdaspeed Protege

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Tim

Hey Tim, I am sure if you or anyone on this forum spends $800 you would expect to see GAINS. Not cel or crapy tune... But dude all I want to do is write my review and what happened to me so I can save another forum member from loosing money. I thought we are on here to help each other out with problems and not rip each other off.

Make Your Car Faster --> Speed Circuit <--
    Visit Cardomain For List Of Mods / Picks
    WTB Tubular Manifold - PM ME if you are willing to sell...

07 Speed6, 95 Talon TSi AWD, 86 RX7

well one exemple of it being iffy is at idle, my car will run at ~ 15.2 to 15.8 AFR no matter what i set the analog number to. it's like if the stock ECU keeps adjusting the stock injectors to get the AFR ratio it wants no matter what the mpi is set to ... i can drown the thing with the extra injectors though if i want. but anyway, things like that make me feel like i'm not in control at all.

but it still works well for me so i'm still happy

Quote Originally Posted by smo0f
    i coulda sworn the main reason why there were so many issues with the MPI were because you cannot control the stock injectors (if you can it's still iffy). Correct me if i'm wrong please. I'm trying to get an edujamacation on this
    2007 Mazdaspeed6
    2003.5 MSP @ 18psi ... stolen
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    1986 RX7 GXL

turbos are my friends!

Sea turtle

370z (Totalled)

Quote Originally Posted by KzA
    is there a problem? I was just saying that you were mistaken

Yea, there is. Maybe you should explain why i am mistaken.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast