Exhaust....?

:
02' MP5/07' M6
Looking to buy a new muffler for my P5, looking for something that isn't too loud and that is NOT stock and not too expensive. any suggestions of brands, or good websites for exhausts.

thanks.

if you don't want loud get the racing beat, or magnaflow which is a close second but also less expensive. racing beat catback is 450 new but if you want cheap you could find a mazdaspeed owner on here and get his axle-back exhaust and the tip cut to fit. I've seen them go for like $50.. a steal.

I would also go with racing beat, im really happy with it, nice growl and not too loud.. I bought mine off a member here on the forums so check the fs threads and maybe you'll get lucky

I had the Megan Racing cat-back on my car before. You can get it off ebay for $290 + $50 shipping. It comes with a silencer, which is pretty much manditory. Without the silencer, it's very loud. With it in, it's a nice mellow tone- not deep like the Racing Beat, but not a fart can either. The 4.5" tip, however.....

I have the Racing Beat now, and love it. Looks great, sounds great, nice and light... can't go wrong. I suggest saving up for a good system instead of getting something cheap. You'll be happy you did.

There are a ton of threads about this already. I have the Racing Beat cat back and love it. Quiet, throaty, and NO DRONING!!!

Now Street Unit can get that for you, $403 shipped. Call him up and tell him I sent ya.

here is is on my car with a header. No droning at all. The popping is gone, video was made when I had a bad gasket leak.

http://s93052172.onlinehome.us/videos/exhaust.mov

From all that I have read on this topic I would say the Racing Beat.

As a matter of fact I am taking my own advice and hope to have mine installed this weekend! (breakn)

Just bought it from rktktpaul. It is from an 03.5 MSP (oval tip) and tip has already been shortened!:)

**edit** Oh yeah, check the f/s threads. You can find some great stuff in there.

I have an MS axleback, and it's quite nice, but it does get loud between 3,000-3,500, which is 65-75 mph, which is where I spend most of my driving time on the highway. I'm going to put on some headers, which I have read increased the noise, so to balance, I'm going to add a Magnaflow resonator in the mix.

wow, that is amazing! I got mine because everyone said it did not drone. I have had droning exhausts, and they suck balls. Even with 600 watts, you cannot drown it out.

I have the Mazdaspeed axle back for the Protege5, if you want one. It's a little loud, and it IS used, but if your exhaust is otherwise stock, it's not too annoying. I'm selling it for 100 USD plus shipping, if you're interested. *shrugs*

Last edited:
Yeah, I must admit, I love the sound of the Magnaflow. =) On track days, the open pipe sounds kinda cool, too, though. Hehee.

flat_black said:
I have the Mazdaspeed axle back for the Protege5, if you want one. It's a little loud, and it IS used, but if your exhaust is otherwise stock, it's not too annoying. I'm selling it for 100 USD plus shipping, if you're interested. *shrugs*
check pm

what are the advantages or disadvantages. of just having the muffler vs. the cat-back . price and sound , the performance is negligable.

flat_black said:

Of course, that exhaust, and the cat back for the p5 are 2 different exhuasts.

Back