Weird rattling noise....

5speedP5

Well ive had this problem for a while where randomly during accelleration of any sort im hearing a noise that sounds like rattling. It doesnt happen all the time, but when it does happen, it lasts most of the driving trip until i shut the car off. I havent been able to pin point it, but im starting to think it could be my vtcs, or something being loose. The car seems to be a bit low on power in the upper range also.

Anyone have any ideas

VTCS screws usually get blown out of the engine, but then again, that's usually...

hmm still dont know if that explains my rattle, its only been for about 5k miles, a bit more possibly.

who knows, i may just remove the vtcs later

Hey! That sounds like me too! I thought it could not be the VTCS - a sudden bang! RATTATATATATA was all you got. perhaps it could fail soft - and just arattle for awhile... But i doubt it. I tend to believe it is a heat shield rattling on the exhaust....

I was just thinking, if you theoretically lost 2 VTCS screws in one butterfly, the whole butterfly could come off and bang against your valves. That would cause a good bit of engine damage.

Back