a/c lag

Mp5speed

:
Mp5 2003
Does anyone else get a really bad lag in their accelleration and horsepower whenever their a/c is on. I seem to get alot less power throughout the whole rpm range whenever my a/c is on. I know it robs a little horsepower puts never was noticeable in any of my other cars.

Well sometimes when I use AC my car runs better. Understand I have an ATX and 205 50-16 tires. I think it is because I have taller tires, and thus taller gear ratio. When the AC is on the tranny will kick down sooner and thus run better.

Magus

i noticed this to the other day when it was hot as hell and i had the ac on like setting 3 and the car was weak on takeoff

Magus said:
Well sometimes when I use AC my car runs better. Understand I have an ATX and 205 50-16 tires. I think it is because I have taller tires, and thus taller gear ratio. When the AC is on the tranny will kick down sooner and thus run better.

Magus

That's some facinating automotive reasoning...

Our cars get noticeably slower because we're using an already underpowered engine to run a rather large and ineffecient air conditioning compressor. A 20-30hp draw on a 100hp engine is gonna be pretty noticeable.

yes very noticeable LAG thats why i try to drive with the windows down but its getting to hot in florida to do that now so i have to drive my car with like 80 hp cause i have the ac on

I think that the A/C robs about the same amount of power, regardless of engine speed, so it's gonna be a lot more noticeable if you are pootling around or the engine is idling than if you are cruising at 60-70 or whatever.

Didn't someone do an experiment comparing AC with having the windows open, and at highway speeds, the AC is more efficient (i.e. the drag caused by open windows robs more power than the AC compressor)?

falsedawn said:
Didn't someone do an experiment comparing AC with having the windows open, and at highway speeds, the AC is more efficient (i.e. the drag caused by open windows robs more power than the AC compressor)?
That sounds familiar.

"Mythbusters" on the Discovery Channel did test this in one of their earlier seasons...

Windows down vs. air conditioning
"Urban puzzle": it is more efficient, on a hot day, to run with the A/C on and windows up than to run with windows down (b/c of increasing car's drag).

Computer-based mpg measurements:

11.7/11.8 with A/C on and windows up
11.7/11.8 with A/C off and windows up
11.3 with A/C off and windows down
So, according to the computer, it's better to use A/C with windows up.

This was too quick and easy for TV, so they decided to stage a seven hour marathon, race-til-you're-empty duel, with Jamie driving an SUV with A/C on and Adam driving an SUV with windows down. Though, once the safety inspector intervened, it was no longer a seven-hour marathon, it was a bit slower (45mph instead of 55mph), and a lot shorter (only 5 gallons each).

Jamie's A/C car ran out of gas first -- Adam's windows down SUV ran for another 30 laps -- completely contradicting the computer mpg estimate. Computer estimate based on air flow into the engine, so it would appear that it is unable to properly model the difference between A/C and windows down.

Mythbusted

Sounds reasonable, but I think the results could be different at higher speeds... :)

Hmmm. It's also not a fair test to use 2 different cars, since it is highly unlikely that they would both be equally efficient under identical conditions to begin with, even if they are the exact same make and model.

A/C for the win at higher speeds! :)

Who cares about lag or drag or MPG when it's 100 degrees in the summer? I'll suffer slow acceleration to prevent my ass crack from sweating.

Tasty said:
Who cares about lag or drag or MPG when it's 100 degrees in the summer? I'll suffer slow acceleration to prevent my ass crack from sweating.

AGREED!!

One of the selling points for me when i bought my protege5 was the fact that the A/C didnt seem to rob much power. Maybe its just my car, but i really cant tell any difference in power with the A/C on or off. with my V6 chevy S10 i could tell a huge difference in power. weird.

Poor study - the a/c windows up only helps at highway speeds (your 'spoiler' doesn't have any effect until speeds over a 100 mph...).

-from my aero classes

BadKarma said:
"Mythbusters" on the Discovery Channel did test this in one of their earlier seasons...

Sounds reasonable, but I think the results could be different at higher speeds... :)

I remember that one, i think they had two SUVs on an oval track at 50mph, the window one lasted a lot longer than the AC one, which was set to a bone chilling low temp that required winter jacket. So the affect from amount of drag created by opening windows is significantly less than using more gas for the AC.

Back