Manual vs. Auto SportShift

Lord_Zath said:
interesting. I always figured manuals had worse mpg since most people take their car above 3k rpms, and autos usually shift around there.

i have the sport shift and my MPG is better when i shift higher...im getting about 30 mpg 70/30 highway/s&g. when i shift lower, my MPG sucks

pfive said:
i have the sport shift and my MPG is better when i shift higher...im getting about 30 mpg 70/30 highway/s&g. when i shift lower, my MPG sucks

I'm finding this a bit hard to believe since: 1) my completely stock P5 barely eeks out 29 mpg in pure highway driving, 2) there is no shifting at highway speeds - the car is in 4th and the TC is locked, and 3) mine gives about 21 mpg in city driving, so with 30% of the driving at that mpg there's no way the P5 could deliver 30 mpg overall.

That said, you may be right about shifting at higher RPMs on the auto. The torque converter stalls at 2200 rpm (or somethng like that, it's in the manual somewhere). Keeping the revs up might bias the torque converter into the range where it is most efficient. At least for the lower gears. Once it hits 38 mph or so in 4th let the TC lock for best efficiency and to drop the RPM as low as possible for a given speed, just don't decelerate below 36 or so, or take your foot off the gas, either of which will unlock the TC and instantly knock 10% off the mpg.

pasadena_commut said:
Not so fast bucko.

While it's certainly easier to drive an auto stop and go with the P5 you will pay for it through the nose in terms of MPG. The P5 Auto gives piss poor mileage in that sort of usage, at least mine does, about 21 mpg. The manuals are reported to do considerably better, like 25-27 mpg. (Search the P5 threads). Probably this is because in stop and go driving the torque converter in the auto is never locked, and most of the time, not even close to locked, so way too much of the gas being used is going into churning fluid and not moving the car down the road. Also when I used to drive a manual in stop in go it was actually in neutral a lot of the time when moving. You know, pump in a little energy, get up to 15 mph, and then coast. In the auto it pretty much stays in gear all the time.

:bs: I spend 20 minutes / day in stop & go traffic in my auto P5 and I average 30 mpg...

pasadena_commut said:
I'm finding this a bit hard to believe since: 1) my completely stock P5 barely eeks out 29 mpg in pure highway driving, 2) there is no shifting at highway speeds - the car is in 4th and the TC is locked, and 3) mine gives about 21 mpg in city driving, so with 30% of the driving at that mpg there's no way the P5 could deliver 30 mpg overall.

I use this analogy -

picture yourself on a bike trying to get up a hill in top gear - u will exert more energy that way then u would in a lower gear - same concept. if i rev higher before shifting in stop and go, or on main roads, the engine isnt working as hard. my city driving is 26 mpg.... and i am driving stock with a K&N filter.

Booom - you make a good point. I know the smartest thing to do would be to keep driving my current car - a '93 accord w/165k miles. Needless to say, it's not sporty. The P5 meets a lot of needs: price, gas, handling. I am having a tough time pulling the trigger-

Lord_Zath said:
interesting. I always figured manuals had worse mpg since most people take their car above 3k rpms, and autos usually shift around there.
Remember that the auto is only a 4 speed. My P5 (my wife's car) has an auto trans. At highway speed (70-75) the engine is revving pretty high for my taste. IIRC, it's around 3k RPM or higher.

SilverBulletES said:
I got a manual because I don't really know how to drive an automatic. :)
BWAHAHAHAHA! Nice! I had to learn to drive an automatic when I came home :( No manual cars ftl

BTW: I drive a manual and love it.

When I freelanced out here before I got the job.... the rented me this Chevy Malibu thing.... automatic of course. I almost got confused and wrecked at one point when I tried downshift. Of course, I was wasted. Just kidding.

Last time I drove an automatic I slammed on the brakes thinking the brake pedal was a clutch pedal :D

if i didn't have an automagic, how else could i smoke, drink coffee, make my daily stock trades, and shave on the way to work?

chocophile said:
Remember that the auto is only a 4 speed. My P5 (my wife's car) has an auto trans. At highway speed (70-75) the engine is revving pretty high for my taste. IIRC, it's around 3k RPM or higher.

yep this is true. on highway travel, I'm typically at 70 mph.

The 6 wagon looks mighty attractive - 6-speed automatic or 5-speed manual I know I'll enjoy it either way :).

Stick + B&M + Bronzoil bushings + front engine-mount inserts = no problem. I toil away 40+ minutes a day in stop & go traffic and its not a problem after the front motor mount inserts were installed. I have the rear inserts too but I haven't got around to installing them yet.

Before the P5 I never had a manual car as my daily driver, but now I don't think I'll ever go back!

I've got both. The autostick is nice in traffic, but I tend to only use the manumatic function when downshifting to a stop. 4th gear is overdrive and 3rd is 1:1 - this means that it splits the manual's 2nd and 3rd gear with it's 2nd. It also doesn't accelerate as fast form a dig - but I'm comparing it to my MSP :D

if you lack coordination like me, but would like to have the feel of a manual, the sport shift is the way to go. I know how to drive a 5 speed, but i'm a feal space cadet and would probobly throw the car into reverse by accident while accelerating on the highway (laugh if you want)

After taking a test drive in manual and "sportshift" I would say manual.

Try highway passing with a passenger with the auto. It's a joke compared to the manual.

Back