wheel spins in neutral, is this normal?

Breeegz

Looking for John Connor
Contributor
:
2003 Protege 5 -- 2016 Ford Expedition
I had my car on jackstands yesterday, turned my car on and the driver side wheel started to spin (very slowly). I stopped it, and it started to spin again. Car was in neutral and it would stop when I pressed the clutch... Is this normal, or do I need to start saving for a new tranny?

I was guessing the tranny because the car was in neutral and it stopped when I depressed the clutch and started when I let the clutch out... Isn't that what a clutch is supposed to do?

hey,

nothin to worry about. this is totally normal. Any car will do this with the tranny in neutral if the front tires are in the air.

Mat

urbanbiker said:
hey,

nothin to worry about. this is totally normal. Any car will do this with the tranny in neutral if the front tires are in the air.

Mat

cool, that is what I wanted to hear

I should correct what I said then. All open differential front wheel cars should do that. Automatic or Standars, shouldn't make a difference

Matt

Actually, it's normal for any manual car. The input shaft to the trans spins when the clutch is engaged and will usually move the oil enough to spin nearby gears and therfore spin the unloaded wheels. It makes no difference if it's LSD or open diff really aside from the fact that LSD will be a heavier load to turn as it will spin both drive wheels in the same direction.

Back