Plexiglass Hood

gregrego

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5, Dark Blue
Is a plexiglass hood doable and what are the costs involved for this project? My good friend had one done for his focus, but doesnt know how much it would cost as he got it for free. If anyone has any experience let me know asap!!

I personally have never seen one on a p5. I think the only problem I would see is the eventual "spidering" of the plastic due to the head, moreso with a header. Then the scratching risk too. But I would be more concerned about it melting due to head from a header.

Nice for a show, not daily driving. Also, unless you have a killer engine bay why do it?

Hmm. Sounds interesting. I agree with altspace, though. What's your engine bay look like?

Under driving conditions lexan or plexiglass would warp, melt, and deteriorate due to the engine heat....Could source out some kind of "super" translucent plastic, but cost would be high...then you would have to figure out a way to mold or shape the piece....It would probably cost...uhhhhh....a hell of a lot in the end....I would say a nice hood prop kit with a CF hood would look even better than a clear one. Needless to say...It could be done...but why????

hmm yea.. never thought about the heat factor. im going to check with my friend see if his is plexi or what material its made out of

My engine bay right now is very clean, chrome and red, going to paint the cover, and my turbo is in transit, so hopefully by the time its all together and looking good, i can get a see thru hood.

eurohoods.com has them, and they are guaranteed not to melt. which i doubt. eventually they will warp, decolor, or alter is some way or another due to the engine and elements. just my .02

why would you want let the thieves know what you got under the hood???
it'll be like window shopping

Alejo_NIN said:
why would you want let the thieves know what you got under the hood???
it'll be like window shopping

(lol)

it's worse than the "steal my stereo" sticker that kicker sends out.

haha yea.. look u can see my alarm siren, smash here --->

hmm never thought of the theft factor, may require mouting the alarm underneath instead :S

Back