engine mounts

mpf1v3

:
Mazda Protege 5
i see a lot of people buying engine mounts, and all i see are those small pieces of metal... i honestly dont know what their purpose? anybody care to explain what's their purpose and how and what they improve if replaced to aftermarket?

Stiffer mounts reduce "engine hop" and "enigne lash". When the engine moves back and forth it can "lift" the wheels and make you lose traction on your front tires and kinda peel out. Its not good for the supsension. Next time your at a stop and are going to make a sharp right-hand turn, floor it and you'll peel out a little because your inside tire doesn't have much traction.

Last edited:
I've got a little chatter when the wheels spin. I thought it might be the clutch, but after reading this it sounds like it might be the engine mounts...

btw.. when u replace the mounts, how do u do that? do u have to saw off, or cut off the old mounts and weld in the new? or is it just a direct bolt on?

It is a simple unbolt and remove the old, put in the new. The front mount will be the easiest, due to it being easy to get to. the longest part will be loosening that SOB center bolt. It took a long breaker bar, and bracing myself to loosen it. I almost gave up. But no wheel hop is a good thing.
Shameless plug time: Check out Street Unit for mounts. Will beat anyone elses price, and of course, free shipping.

Ok, I think I screwed up pretty bad today. I recieved my RR-racing front mount inserts and where going to install them when I noticed the size of the rr-racing bracket was half the size of the ones in place. Is the bracket on the Passenger side of the car?? I would think the bracket is somewhere on the front of the car but I can't find it anywhere. Can someone please help me out here?? I'm lost...

The front one is in the middle, look straight down behind radiator, might be blocked from sight by your turbo or piping. 3 bolts & out, slip in the inserts, put it back.

Back