Yes, It's another spark plug question...

bumpin_p5

:
2002.5 Mazda Protege5 SportAuto
I just replaced my spark plugs, being the first time on any car that I have done this. I have read the other threads to make sure I did it properly. All seems well with the car and it runs, but I didnt notice a difference. It actually takes a little longer to start and I am not sure if it is running off of all four cylinders. I have checked to make sure that the boots are seated well, the plugs are at 18lbs/ft, and everything like that. I dont know how a engine acts when it is not firing in one cylinder. Is it noticable or is it really hard to tell or what? I am just trying to make sure that my engine is running properly. Thanks for any info guys and gals.

Pre-gapped or not....always check them!! Sometimes the electrode gets pinched down a tad in the shipping moving around process.

Boston5761 said:
Pre-gapped or not....always check them!! Sometimes the electrode gets pinched down a tad in the shipping moving around process.

I second that. Always gap them. I just installed four new NGKs and had to adjust ALL of them. And yes, every plug is supposed to be gapped to the manufacturers specs for the particular engine they go in.

I dont know how a engine acts when it is not firing in one cylinder. Is it noticable

Oh yes, it is most certainly noticeable - it'll vibrate like a bastard and run like a donkey.

Luckly I didn't have to regap my NGK plugs. They were all just about right. But 18lbs of torque is a little high isn't it. I though factory was 14.

Thanks for the help guys. I checked out the gap and adjusted and the car runs better. It got a smoother idle and gets up and goes alot faster now. I feel like a big time newb. I appreciate all you folks help. It means alot.

That's why I love car forums! Free help from people who know exactly what they are doing. I have joined a forum for each of my last three cars, and used them abundantly for help.

falsedawn said:
it'll vibrate like a bastard and run like a donkey.
OMG RICH! That's sig worthy. So much so that it's going in my sig :p (If you mind, please send me a PM and I'll remove it.)

And as for the plugs, you don't really have to torque 'em down. You don't need much more than hand (rachet?) tight. I wouldn't do any more than a turn past that for fear of shearing the plug. W/ the expansion / compression of the metal as the engine heats and cools, it'll hold em in. At least, I've never had one come out lol.

Back