Dealer Issue - EGR Valve (Passage Way)

Kobayashi

:
2003.5 MSP
My P5 started idling erratically and then dying when at a stop (in neutral - the car is a manual) a couple days ago. I took it to the dealer and they said that it threw two codes (with no check engine light). The codes were for the EGR valve and EGR valve passage way (or pathway); the dealer said that they were both clogged with carbon.

The dealer will cover the the EGR valve, but not the EGR valve passage way (or pathway). They want $235 to clean this after they already have it taken apart. Have any of you guys heard of this or is the dealer just trying to rip me off / re-coup the labor for the EGR valve?

If I were you, i'd have them only do what's covered, cause that smells like bulls*** to me.

neoturner said:
save your money and do it yourself.

The first how to I did and one of the reasons I happened upon the site, probably a lot of peoples.

or have any shop clean it.

eidt:eek:ops forgot the link
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94788&highlight=egr

Yeah, I saw that. Thanks for posting it though. I may have to try this after the dealer does what they will cover under warranty.

I am just wondering if the dealer is yanking my chain on the other EGR part.

Kobayashi said:
Yeah, I saw that. Thanks for posting it though. I may have to try this after the dealer does what they will cover under warranty.

I am just wondering if the dealer is yanking my chain on the other EGR part.
yeah. If your car is still under warranty, they're screwing you. The whole thing should be covered.

i need to get mine in because i have a hard idle also...i'd do it myself, but i am not mechanically inclined and would probobly blow my car up. Thank God my car is under warranty and probobly wont cost me a penny.

wow, your dealership still does loaner cars? Mine stopped long ago...

i bought my five from a honda dealer and got a honda warranty which includes loaners...maybe an S2000 or an Si perhaps :)

Kobayashi said:
My P5 started idling erratically and then dying when at a stop (in neutral - the car is a manual) a couple days ago. I took it to the dealer and they said that it threw two codes (with no check engine light). The codes were for the EGR valve and EGR valve passage way (or pathway); the dealer said that they were both clogged with carbon.

The dealer will cover the the EGR valve, but not the EGR valve passage way (or pathway). They want $235 to clean this after they already have it taken apart. Have any of you guys heard of this or is the dealer just trying to rip me off / re-coup the labor for the EGR valve?

yea there full of s*** they have to cover the whole thing, call mazda usa and have then take care of those bitches

pfive said:
i bought my five from a honda dealer and got a honda warranty which includes loaners...maybe an S2000 or an Si perhaps :)
lol gotcha. Don't get your hopes up for much more than a regular ass civic or accord tho

PlatinumMSP said:
yea there full of s*** they have to cover the whole thing, call mazda usa and have then take care of those bitches

Yup, that is what I did and they then said (2 days later) that they would cover all of it under warranty. But wait, it gets better. Then they had the audacity to say that I needed to have the throttle body and injectors cleaned. I asked how much that would cost and they told me $257. I told them just to do what was covered under warranty (EGR valve, EGR passageway, and the intake manifold gasket recall) for now and I may get this done (not really) when I do the 30K (I'm going to do this myself).

I picked the car up Friday and it is running properly, but then later that night I heard a whistling noise after traveling about 85-90 for about 15 minutes on the highway. If I pressed the brakes ever so slightly it would go away. It was like this at highway speeds and stop lights at low speeds. I left the car for a couple hours after I noticed it and haven't heard it since. I wonder if this was something with the intake manifold gasket or a vacuum line. Either way, it hasn't come back (yet). If it does, back to the dealer it goes.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback! :)

Back