Blowing Engine Fuse

ChefChris

:
Vivid Yellow P5
Blowing The Engine Fuse

Anyone have and engine fuse blow, and continue to blow? I put on my new header and now its blowing engine fuses over and over, I read though the service manual to find out what was connected to the Engine Fuse and then went though all of those things and still cant find anything...Please help if you can, I am out of ideas.....?

Last edited:
When does it blow? As soon as you install it (or connect the battery), when you are cranking the car, etc?

Check the positive battery cable for chaffes, burns, cuts, and the like. Likewise for the starter cable.

I checked just about everything thats the manual listed, and once the car is cooled down and the fuse is changed the car will run for about 5 mins then dead, fuse blows again, replace the fuse when its hot, the fuse blows before the engine starts.

My bad. I was thinking it was the main fuse for some reason.

Looking at the wiring diagram, both O2 sensors, both coil packs, and a capacitor are protected by the fuse. Additionally, there is a wire on the same circuit entering the ECU.

It's a bit of a toss up between the coil packs and the O2 sensors considering both would be affected by heat. However, if I had to point my finger, I'd say you have a either a faulty coil pack or capacitor considering external engine heat would affect them slower than an O2 sensor (heats up in about a minute). Try swapping coils and/or the capacitor with a friend or just out right replace them. They're not terrebly expensive.

I replaced the upper O-2 sensor tonight because the wiring was a bit friad, however that didnt correct the problem, its still doing it. I did put on the new header, but I dont see how the problem relates to whats going on now.

ChefChris said:
I replaced the upper O-2 sensor tonight because the wiring was a bit friad, however that didnt correct the problem, its still doing it. I did put on the new header, but I dont see how the problem relates to whats going on now.

The header installation may have no relation at all.

This sux because its dead and I am running out of things to look for minus beginning to replace $$$$ parts.

Check for chaffes, cuts, or burns in the second O2 sensor leads. Aside from that, my second post states the probable causes. There are only a few components on the "engine" circuit. I'd start there.

ya I am just frustrated right now with the whole thing, I am going to sleep on it, and hope someone has had the exact same problem and catches this over night tonight.

I think your o2 is wired incorrectly. Black does not mean ground on the o2, its teh heater wire.

Its not that I dont think, I follow the instructions with the new O2 sensor, three times before I actually connected the stuff. I guess I could take it back out and run though it again.

ChefChris said:
Any help guys?

Turn it on and then immediately start shaking all the relevant wires a little. With a bit of luck you'll trigger the short right away (when the motor is still cold) and that will help you isolate the problem. It does sound like some wire is exposed and shorts out after the car warms up. Also, if that doesn't do it, right after the car blows the motor fuse pull the leads on the coil packs and measure the resistance of the packs as described in the manual. If one of those is shorting out when hot you should see it.

I'm stuck on O2 sensor somehow because that's the only thing related to changing exh manifold to header. Especially if it wasn't doing this before you put the header on. I know the plugs on the O2s only plug in one way so how they could be wrong I'm not sure of unless the you have them swapped where they plug into wiring harness, if that's even possible. Maybe there's a problem with the one you didn't change out. That sucks. Guess it could be something with a coil pack but that seems to be a huge coincidence to me. The only other thing might be to put the oem exh mani back on & see if it still acts the same way. Good luck

As already mentioned. Check to make sure there are no shorts in the wires.

I had the manifold spacers put on. We thought we checked every wire. One was pinched and eventually shorted, and kept blowing every fuse we put in there.

It still dead how long can I drive unpluging things? To see if I can get the fuse to stop blowing? Such as the lower O2 sensor, the cooling fans etc.?

Back