Coolant

NJP5Guy

:
2003 Black Mica P5 5spd
im guessing our coolant is the same basic (green)stuff nearly every car uses right? if not please notify.

yessir. I flushed mine for the first time at 62k miles, used Prestone Low-Tox (animal safe), which was actually cheaper than the regular stuff because of some sale.

well a bucket filled with water because I was doing it in my garage and there's no faucet/hose at my apartment for me to use.

I dunno if you are supposed to do that or not but I just poured some water in there and let it all get out, then started pouring a little of the new coolant in and put the drain plug back when the new coolant started pouring out.

Anyone here ever install the Prestone kit where you can actually backflush the whole system with your garden hose? I installed one on my truck and it was nice to know that I had evacuated the entire system of old coolant before putting in new stuff. Of course, that car had Dexcool which some people think was made by Satan.

EDIT: I'm about to do a coolant service (I'm at 57K miles), and I'm guessing it's a good idea and cheap insurance to go ahead and replace the hoses too. Any thoughts?

I think the backflush gizmo is a gimmick - just fill with distilled water after draining and run engine for a few mins till thermostat opens, then a few mins more. Drain and repeat if required until clean water comes out.

Why replace hoses? Seems a waste of time and money to me.
I'd just check for cracks/splits etc. and if they're still flexible, leave them be!

falsedawn said:
I think the backflush gizmo is a gimmick - just fill with distilled water after draining and run engine for a few mins till thermostat opens, then a few mins more. Drain and repeat if required until clean water comes out.

Why replace hoses? Seems a waste of time and money to me.
I'd just check for cracks/splits etc. and if they're still flexible, leave them be!

Ya I got the Samco silicone ones, so I never need to worry about that, ever!

^^ you still gotta check the other hoses

there are some under the intake manifold, and others near the TB

JCell said:
^^ you still gotta check the other hoses

there are some under the intake manifold, and others near the TB

Did the CBPM, so all thats left are the ones inthe water neck and the heater hoses...

Back