Engine Light On ... Need Some Advice

masda

Ok.... someone told me a easy way to clean the injectors was to spary carb cleaner into the air intake up into the engine so what i did was remove the little plug the is connected to the stock air intake and just spary a whole can of carb cleaner as posted in the picture that little plug i unplugged and just sparyed!

It worked fine what happen was now the engine light is on and i don't know why ?! ?! ?

donemedium1ww.jpg

Is this a joke?

If not, the carb cleaner probably nerfed some sensors or something in there. Why dont you go to autozone and get the code read?

i'm a very newbie what's a code read ?

I thought this was good for the car i've done it to my other car's nothing like this has happened including my newer 2004 civic

A check engine light can mean a ton of things.

If you hook up a reader device to your engine computer, it will give you an error code to indicate why the check engine light came on. Autozone will read the error code for free.

Dim said:
Damn, why not just use injector cleaner? $5 well spent...

Seriously! Do you know how much stuff is on the market to run through the fuel system and clean the injectors. Spraying a whole can of carb cleaner into the intake? Wow, do the world a favor and don't use your DIY skills in this method on anyone else's ride.

where can i buy a reader ?

I live in canada we don't have autozone

Most any autoparts store. It will run you $60-200 depending on how fancy you need. There might well be a canadian store like autozone that will rent stuff out to you though.

Seriously! Do you know how much stuff is on the market to run through the fuel system and clean the injectors. Spraying a whole can of carb cleaner into the intake? Wow, do the world a favor and don't use your DIY skills in this method on anyone else's ride.

Seconded. Carb cleaner is extremly nasty and corrosive stuff. I would never reccomend someone spraying it- let alone a full can- into their engine.

Just FYI, anything you spray into the throttle body will NEVER come into contact with the fuel injectors. You'll need to pour something into the gas to clean your injectors.

masda said:
disconnected the battery and it worked!
All that did was clear the code. Now you'll never know what was wrong.

In the future, get the code read at an autoparts store, then determine what to do. Most places in the states will read the code for free, so there's no downside.

Also, why is this in the P5 section? Looks like you've got a MSP to me.

but there was nothing wrong to begin with ...... it's just after i sparyed inside that dumb cai so it couldn't of been a big deal cause works fine!

masda said:
but there was nothing wrong to begin with ...... it's just after i sparyed inside that dumb cai so it couldn't of been a big deal cause works fine!
Well, it actually was something wrong, or the light wouldn't have gone off. It was probably something small, and I hope you're off the hook.

Just remember to get the code read next time this happens, and don't spray ANYTHING into the throttle body without checking with us first. :D

Pretzellogic said:
Well, it actually was something wrong, or the light wouldn't have gone off. It was probably something small, and I hope you're off the hook.

Just remember to get the code read next time this happens, and don't spray ANYTHING into the throttle body without checking with us first. :D

If it was something major the engine would throw a light again. I had this same thing happen. Car is running like a top, CEL light came on at start up. Disconnected battery, cleaned EGR, reinstalled EGR, reconnected battery, and so far no light again.

masda said:

... 6 days later.... "I guess it was a big deal, the car just drag's now, but I guess as long as the check engine light is off.... I'm ok"

Just cross your fingers and hope you don't get a surprise down the road... I bet it gave you alittle scare for a sec there

Last edited:
Back