Low Beam Harness Stuck

K, so my driver side low beam on my 2003 P5 went out today :( and I picked up a regular H7 bulb thinking it would be peanuts to replace the burnt one. Wow what a PITA. . . I must have worked on that harness for 45min before i gave up on it. It didn't move an inch, and i didnt want to pull too hard and break the retention arm on the bulb. What options do I have?? Is there some magic trick to get this harness off the bulb? Or, would it be worth is to just take the car in and get mazda to replace the bulb? I don't know my a$$ from my elbow when it comes to cars, but even i could replace a bulb IF i can get the old one out.

I have searched the forums, and know replacing the H7 is a common problem with our cars. Anyone with any suggestions please let me know, thanks.

Just try your best to tug, but don't break the wire... You removed the retaining clip then try pulling the bulb out when it is out of the headlight housing? Good luck man.

Did you unhook the retaining spring?

I notice my drivers side always sticks abit all i do is use a pair of needle nose and grasp the white plug and it comes right off with the right leverage.

Good Suggestions, thanks. If I pull the rubber housing back I can see the retaining clip and the rest of the bulb. Maybe I will try to pop the clip off with the wire harness still attached and then separate the parts when the bulb is out of the housing. I tried working the harness off the bulb again last night, still nothing; maybe the needle nosers will work better. Thanks again.

The round rubber piece with the hole in the middle is meant to be removed when replacing the bulbs. Unplug the harness, pull off the rubber piece and the retaining spring can be released easily (but a little bit awkward on the passenger side if you have big hands). Then just pull out the bulb, slide in the new one, fasten the retaining spring, replace the round rubber piece, and plug the harness back into the back of the bulb.

Last edited:
loosen the rubber.
reach in and unhook the retaining clip.
slowly and carefully take out the bulb, rubber and harness as one piece.
move the rubber or take off the rubber.
carefully unplug the bulb.

before you reinstall, use a thin layer of dielectric paste on the prongs of the bulb, this will prevent it from sticking inside the plug harness.

Latest posts

Back