My car is down..again

The funny thing is that the compression tests read 150 with the throttle closed, on forged internals. The significance of this fact is that with forged internals, the piston has to expand to fill the bore when the car warms up, and the car wasn't warmed up. I am definitely good...

Well, my car is down yet again. This time the bearings in the turbo are shot. Last night, I was driving out to a meet, and I heard this stange whine, and I got a sudden, but gentle buck. I pulled over, to check out things under the hood. I noticed when ever I would turn the car off, there was this gurgle from under the hood, like something was boiling... I would find out what that sound was til today. There were no vaccum leaks that I could see. So I rolled home, and resolved to check the car out in the morning when it cooled off.

This morning I went and checked the turbo first, and BINGO! I spun the compressor wheel, and heard noise. I then checked the oil feed line. There is indeed oil getting to the turbo. The restrictor was NOT clogged, and oil was shooting out of the feed line when I turned car on. When I turned the car off that gurgling sound returned. I then watched the compressor blades spinning, and they have a direct relationship with the sounds. When the blades stopped, so did the sound. I'm screwed.

LinuxRacr said:
If it's not the car, it's bulls*** from my daughter's mom.
stories like yours make me scared to be turboed..

..and be in a relationship with an insane person.

going back... u got lucky on the belt...

we did that wth my stepdads saab 95... drove it till we could pull it over safely... it started to steam a little...

turns out the whole crank pulley up and went... strange...

but none the less cost a couple G and then later we realized the head gasket was leaking oil bad...

so we traded it in and they didnt notice :)

then they called us a week later to let us know... haha... but it was too late... contracts were signed... oh well they still amde a killing off that car

Just talked to ATP Turbo. They tell me that for a new CHRA (Center Housing Rotating Assymbly), it will be $650 + $25 shipping = $675. I will keep looking for other options... At least I know this one.

k-lea said:
stories like yours make me scared to be turboed..

..and be in a relationship with an insane person.

Story of my life too. I think mine and Linux's car were made at the same exact factory. And everyone knows the deal with Ghost. lol

But my suggestion, go with a new turbo and check for other problems. The ball bearing turbo's are a b*tch to fix and they're expensive to get repaired. It's better off just buying a new one. You might be able to get away with a cheaper rebuilt one for less than what this guy will fix it for, but I'd just get a new one to be safe. Check for anything that also may have contributed to this thurbo's failure too while you're at it. You don't want to get a new turbo and have the same thing happen.

Linux think about what we talked about , You could get my turbo setup and do a Nick upgrade man. Then my cars spirit would leave on . Anyway when you get back just let me know. Ill make the trip to the Big Dallas to bring it too you .,

I am weighing my options right now for bets price for what I get. I will let you know very soon (this week, if you haven't heard from me by the end, call me up!)

Once again, the return coming soon! As always, better than before! I LIKE POTATOES!!!

IMG_1114.JPG

Well, I took the GT28R turbo out today, and dropped the manifold off tonight to have it repaired. While I was there, I took off the internal wastegate (on the new GT28RS), and had the flapper shaft welded so that the the internal wastegate flap doesn't open anymore.

Pictures below of my old GT28R on the left vs. the GT28RS. I also know why my bearings failed. Oil got cooked!! Today's lesson = if you have a turbo with provisions for water lines, hook them up!!:

Attachments

• DSCF1931.JPG
    DSCF1931.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF1934.JPG
    DSCF1934.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCF1945.JPG
    DSCF1945.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 175
Glad to see you found a replacement, sorry I couldn't help more. Give me a call if you need a hand putting the tater in.

Back