Q about AT fluid

mpf1v3

:
Mazda Protege 5
i read here that many people did transmission fluid change, my car right now is at 67k, and i havent done any fuild change to the AT yet, and i cant find in anything about it in the owners manual, is there a certain milage in that i ahve to change every time? when and how do i know when to change?

I don't think it is specified in the manual, but every 30K miles seems reasonable. There's a how-to on here, and I don't think it's that hard of a job to flush and replace the fluid.
At 67K, I think it is definitely due a change. Look at (and smell) the oil on the dipstick - fresh oil is red. If it is brownish or smells bad/burnt in any way, change it!

Go synthetic, you're tranny will love it & while you're at it throw on a fluid cooler, it'll love you more. Synthetic will last twice as long between changes too.

i know that in my user manual,for 2003(canadian es-gt model with the tiptronic),they say to change the atf every 48000km,so around 30k miles exactly would be the best,you can use mobil 1 atf synthetic,really good product,and its not a big job to do,there is a how-to on the forum for that....

tengoestetempo said:
where do u get the cooler thing for the fluid u all talk about?

i'm wondering the same thing

thnx guys.. i'll try and change the fluid as soon as i get some free time for it

mpf1v3 said:
i'm wondering the same thing

thnx guys.. i'll try and change the fluid as soon as i get some free time for it
Ebay...Hayden transaver stacked plate 20,000lb (just bigger - suggested for ours is 16000lb) 33% more efficient than tube & fin cooler. Paid 38.00 or so delivered. Just do search on hayden transaver on ebay. They are buy it now price so no bidding crap. New in Box with extra hose,clamps, mounting strips to attach to radiator in front of fan on drivers side. Simple install. Top off after when trans at normal range on dipstick. Once hooked up the hot side hose is too hot to hold but return hose is luke warm.****EDIT*** Went to ebay just now & did search on hayden transaver & all that came up were tube & fin ones with part numbers 1400 something. I looked because I want another one for a different car. The stacked plate part numbers were 1600 something, I believe, that I was mentioning above. I will try to find the part number later when home & post it back up. They are black, blend in better, thinner, more efficient, more factory looking & similar prices.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Do you have to drain all the tranny fluid when installing these or no? I'd like to get one, but I don't wanna have to go through the hassle of draining and refilling the tranny fluid again. I will if I have to, but if there's a way to avoid it that would be great!

KrayzieFox said:
Do you have to drain all the tranny fluid when installing these or no? I'd like to get one, but I don't wanna have to go through the hassle of draining and refilling the tranny fluid again. I will if I have to, but if there's a way to avoid it that would be great!

I agree, can you walk us through the install please? I just did the tranny filter on my wife's car (98 es), and I'm about to do my P5, and I figure, if I'm working on it, I might as well throw one of these in the mix.

SlowPro98 said:
I agree, can you walk us through the install please? I just did the tranny filter on my wife's car (98 es), and I'm about to do my P5, and I figure, if I'm working on it, I might as well throw one of these in the mix.

Ok, go under your car, drain the fluid, NOT HARD. Let it drain well. Meanwhile go have a beer. Come back to car, put plug back on. Look at fluid. Just to be safe, go with some new synthetic fluid. As said, If fluid is not red, get some new stuff. Brown means tranny is overheating.

The lines have directional arrow. You want to disconnect the line that feeds the fluid back to trans. go under the car, and disconnect it from the radiator. Some fluid will probably com out, but not much. Have a paper towel or rag on hand to take care of that. Reach in from the top of the engine and disconnect the same line from transmission. Use pliers. Remove grill to gain access to front of AC core. Find a nice cozy spot for the cooler. See if you have enough lince to get the job done. Mount the cooler using supplied hardware.Connect lines. Fluid will come from tranny, go thru radiator, then out of radiator into cooler then back to tranny. Make sure lines are not in the way of any moving parts or in a location where they can easily be damanged. Make sure clamps are tight. Get a tranny funnel and go ahead and put 4 quarts in. Make sure drain bolt is tight before you do this. Start car and let it iddle as you put in the rest of the fluid. You will need a little more fluid because of the core. Thats it. After fluid is at normal level and car is warm, check for leaks.

DONE. Go enjoy your tranny for the rest of it's life, hopefuly a little longer now with colder fluid.

vr4-352 said:
Ok, go under your car, drain the fluid, NOT HARD. Let it drain well. Meanwhile go have a beer. Come back to car, put plug back on. Look at fluid. Just to be safe, go with some new synthetic fluid. As said, If fluid is not red, get some new stuff. Brown means tranny is overheating.

The lines have directional arrow. You want to disconnect the line that feeds the fluid back to trans. go under the car, and disconnect it from the radiator. Some fluid will probably com out, but not much. Have a paper towel or rag on hand to take care of that. Reach in from the top of the engine and disconnect the same line from transmission. Use pliers. Remove grill to gain access to front of AC core. Find a nice cozy spot for the cooler. See if you have enough lince to get the job done. Mount the cooler using supplied hardware.Connect lines. Fluid will come from tranny, go thru radiator, then out of radiator into cooler then back to tranny. Make sure lines are not in the way of any moving parts or in a location where they can easily be damanged. Make sure clamps are tight. Get a tranny funnel and go ahead and put 4 quarts in. Make sure drain bolt is tight before you do this. Start car and let it iddle as you put in the rest of the fluid. You will need a little more fluid because of the core. Thats it. After fluid is at normal level and car is warm, check for leaks.

DONE. Go enjoy your tranny for the rest of it's life, hopefuly a little longer now with colder fluid.

Awesome dude, that sounds real easy. Thanks

Back