How to cure Cel/Mil from removing cat with Non-Fouler

Saint-Knight said:
MAN! I LOVE U! ******* GOD! Finally I did proper way as you said. I bought a bung and weled a second O2 in... and took me around 10 min to extend 4 wires. Now good bad...Check Engine Light IS GONE...and I have to say the car feels different some how I don't know ...it's more stable and runs better for sure, don't know about the power...thanks you again!!!

NP, Glad to help out.

Hmmm. That sucks. I did this last spring and the first long trip the CEL came back. Now, if I reset it, it comes back pretty quickly.(dunno)
Maybe it's a bad sensor.

Does anyone know how this works?
What exactly do the non-foulers do to modify the O2 sensor's readings?

I believe they hold the 02 sensor farther away from the gas so they don't get as hot, All I know is I have had it on for about 9k now and no CEL.

GMalatrasi said:
Does anyone know how this works?
What exactly do the non-foulers do to modify the O2 sensor's readings?

I did the non-foulers on mine after installing a Tsudo Header... from what I understand after buying the non-foulers is this:

The 02 before the cat reads the exhaust coming out of the manifold.. the second 02 compares it after it goes thru the cat..

With a header there is no more resistor since it eleminates the cat making the reading strong as hell and causes the CEL..

What the non-fouler does is makes the 02 censor take a smaller dose of exhaust because it sits inside the non-fouler. Think of it like this.. take a card board paper towl roll.. and stick something in it half way (02 sensor).. then think of a gas flowing down your with a hard force.. its going to go into the tubing but not alot .. with me? Thats how the non-fouler works. If you do it RIGHT..EXACTALLY like the HOW-TO says.. it will work. I didn't drill the whole completely and BAM CEL! I drilled it completely thru and it worked. I'm sure Rac3rX can help you if you have any problems... or PM me and I will..

GOOD LUCK!

Drake13 said:
I did the non-foulers on mine after installing a Tsudo Header... from what I understand after buying the non-foulers is this:

The 02 before the cat reads the exhaust coming out of the manifold.. the second 02 compares it after it goes thru the cat..

With a header there is no more resistor since it eleminates the cat making the reading strong as hell and causes the CEL..

What the non-fouler does is makes the 02 censor take a smaller dose of exhaust because it sits inside the non-fouler. Think of it like this.. take a card board paper towl roll.. and stick something in it half way (02 sensor).. then think of a gas flowing down your with a hard force.. its going to go into the tubing but not alot .. with me? Thats how the non-fouler works. If you do it RIGHT..EXACTALLY like the HOW-TO says.. it will work. I didn't drill the whole completely and BAM CEL! I drilled it completely thru and it worked. I'm sure Rac3rX can help you if you have any problems... or PM me and I will..

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks... That's the only thing I could think it would do.

BTW how hard (or easy for the matter) is installing the headers?
I'm guessing a lift would be very convinient to have. Any special tools required?

Sorry for the thread jack, wont happen again (thumb)

GMalatrasi said:
Thanks... That's the only thing I could think it would do.

BTW how hard (or easy for the matter) is installing the headers?
I'm guessing a lift would be very convinient to have. Any special tools required?

Sorry for the thread jack, wont happen again (thumb)

Well installing the non-fouler was quite easy, I did however manage to drill 1/4 inch into my concreat floor while I was drilling... what can i say? I wanted to make sure it was completely drilled :), and I rent!

The header on the other hand i'm not sure. I had a performance shop install it. I love the header, the HP per BUCK spent is well worth it. I paid 320 to install my header/cams/cam gears/underdrive pullys. So I made out great.. just ask around. I'd say 100 would be your most ideal price at any shop.

Let me know how the 02 works. I got over 9k and still NO CEL!

Do I need non-foulers w/ the gaskets?I bought a pair of 18mm at Pepboys but they don't have gaskets.And is it guaranteed that I won't throw the CEL w/ the non-foulers?Thanx

Phoenix5 said:
Do I need non-foulers w/ the gaskets?I bought a pair of 18mm at Pepboys but they don't have gaskets.And is it guaranteed that I won't throw the CEL w/ the non-foulers?Thanx

I really don't think the gaskets are a must. And as far as the guarantee goes.. I'd say YES. If you do JUST AS the how-two says to do it will NO SHORT CUTS. It will work. If you read up a couple of threads i ran into some problems and my CEL came back on. I redid it JUST HOW IT SAID and it works... i have over 8k if not more and NO CEL!!!

Tips:
Don't twist the O2 censor wire.
Drill it completely threw, not just partal.
Make sure you have the negative battery cable off for no less then 10mins to reset the ECU.

ENJOY!

=( I spent 6 hours removing my seized O2, did the non-fouler method and now I am getting P1141: H02S Bank 1 sensor 2 Heater Circuit Low Input.

Any ideas? Maybe I should remove one of the non-foulers (the undrilled one)?

adedude said:
=( I spent 6 hours removing my seized O2, did the non-fouler method and now I am getting P1141: H02S Bank 1 sensor 2 Heater Circuit Low Input.

Any ideas? Maybe I should remove one of the non-foulers (the undrilled one)?

Did you install the non-fouler on the second 02 censor? ( closest to the ground). Did you drill one completely thru as the HOW-TO states? Did you twist the wires any when you were removing or reinstalling the 02 censor? Did you remove the negative battery for atleast 10mins to flash the ECU?

Let me know...

Drake13 said:
Did you install the non-fouler on the second 02 censor? ( closest to the ground). Did you drill one completely thru as the HOW-TO states? Did you twist the wires any when you were removing or reinstalling the 02 censor? Did you remove the negative battery for atleast 10mins to flash the ECU?

Let me know...

Yes I drilled it completely through.
Yes this was for the second O2 sensor.
No I made sure none of the wires were twisted.
The battery was unplugged for 5 hours.

I found to truly get rid of my CEL, I had to turn key on to accessory, unplug - terminal. pump brakes. key off. sit 10 minutes, reconnect - terminal, and then the cel was no longer on. Try that.

That code suggests improper voltage reading from the o2 sensor. Hope it's not bad for some reason now.

You might want to check the connection to the clip. If you disconnected it there it might not be snug.

Drake13 said:
You might want to check the connection to the clip. If you disconnected it there it might not be snug.

Everything is snug. Low voltage input probably means that the O2 sensor is detecting less oxygen as a result of pulling out the sensor a little right? What if I drilled a slightly bigger hole into the first non-fouler so more air got in?

I don't know if it matters, but I am using an 1.6L OBX header.

RaiderMP5 said:
I found to truly get rid of my CEL, I had to turn key on to accessory, unplug - terminal. pump brakes. key off. sit 10 minutes, reconnect - terminal, and then the cel was no longer on. Try that.

The car was off for 5 hours (so I'm pretty sure the ECU was reset) and the CEL was off when I turned it back on. I backed my car into the garage and when I drove out later, it showed up within ten minutes.

Thanks for all your advice everyone!

adedude said:
The car was off for 5 hours (so I'm pretty sure the ECU was reset) and the CEL was off when I turned it back on. I backed my car into the garage and when I drove out later, it showed up within ten minutes.

Well.. it shouldn't have clicked on so quick. I think it takes like 125miles for it to fulling go thru and read all the readings before it checks and throws a CEL. Did you disconnect the power or the negative batter terminal? I have a 2.0 so i'm not sure if its the same. The little hole acts like you have a cat. Thats why it gets less air flow. The part isn't that expensive so if you make it a little bigger and it doesn't work its not like you are paying $100 for it.

I'd disconnect the negative battery terminal for 15mins.. then put it back on, that should be sufficate enough to flash the ECU. If it popped on that quick then it still had fresh memory in it from what i understand, but i could be wrong.

When i flashed mine, it took about 3 mins to start my car because the battery was being drained from all the other electical equiptment.

adedude said:

Where are you located at?

Back