How to cure Cel/Mil from removing cat with Non-Fouler

Rac3rX said:
Thanks for the Move, glad its aproved.
always a pleasure (thumb)
p.s. you got pm, heh(peep)

RaiderMP5: lol, that debate was funny between you and me (rofl) RaiderMP5 for the win! oh and must I add that I JUST got the report from you about the thread, lol

Last edited:
sweeet just got my headers today, going to do this tonight, hopefully I'll get a chance to put the headers in this week.

SlowPro98 said:
sweeet just got my headers today, going to do this tonight, hopefully I'll get a chance to put the headers in this week.

Sweet, let me know how she goes.

A little hint, Make sure you crank the 2 spring bolts well when you install the headers.

Good write up. Would have helped me out a lot way back when I didn't know wtf a non-fouler was. People eventually explained how to do this, but this will make it far simpler for others in the future.

lasermp5 said:
Good write up. Would have helped me out a lot way back when I didn't know wtf a non-fouler was. People eventually explained how to do this, but this will make it far simpler for others in the future.

Thanks!!!

Rac3rX said:
How did it go?

Not good. The donut gasket was shot, and no one in my area had one ( 4 part stores and 3 websites later) so Ive got one on order, and Im still waiting for the stealership to get back to me.
But taking it out was pretty easy. If anyone needs the special socket to remove their 02 sensors, Hit me up, I picked one up, worked like a charm. Id rather pay the $26 for the socket than the $100+ for a new sensor after stripping the threads.

The non-fouler was easier than taking a dump. Hopefully Ill get to test it by the end of the week. For now, Im rollin in my wifes car.

yeah, this was mentioned in the MIL elminator thread, along with part numbers, but it wasnt in a how-to for the non-fouler trick and for someone to read that entire thread to find out details about it (which is how i found out about it) is too much work. this writeup will benefit anyone looking to do it in the future. i can vouch for this, works like a charm (been ~2500 miles since installed and no CEL)

SlowPro98 said:
Not good. The donut gasket was shot, and no one in my area had one ( 4 part stores and 3 websites later) so Ive got one on order, and Im still waiting for the stealership to get back to me.
But taking it out was pretty easy. If anyone needs the special socket to remove their 02 sensors, Hit me up, I picked one up, worked like a charm. Id rather pay the $26 for the socket than the $100+ for a new sensor after stripping the threads.

The non-fouler was easier than taking a dump. Hopefully Ill get to test it by the end of the week. For now, Im rollin in my wifes car.

Dame! Mine looked good still but I messed it up a bit taking it off the stock peice, it work still though.

How much did the new gasket cost???

smo0f

Thanks, I had too many questions whith the info in the other thread before even buying the non-fouler & when I started actually doing it I had even more. I was lucky enough to get somebody online WHILE I was doing it so I could send pics and make sure each step was done 100% correct (Thanks justanotheradikt !!!!) I put it all together in a way I figured it would be easy to follow.

Rac3rX said:
How much did the new gasket cost???

Something like $21 from a website (info is on my home pc) I still haven't heard back from the stealership, I guess they don't want my business.

gbean said:
Did you not tap the threads on the part you drilled out?
If so isnt that kinda shade-tree stuff. I would be tapping that!

Why, the non-foulers are already threaded, and the o2 sensor sits in it like a chamber screwed to the non foulers thread then the non-fouler goes in the place of where the o2 sensor bung is.

You drill it out so the o2 sensor can slide in, no aditional threads needed

Rac3rX said:
Why, the non-foulers are already threaded, and the o2 sensor sits in it like a chamber screwed to the non foulers thread then the non-fouler goes in the place of where the o2 sensor bung is.

You drill it out so the o2 sensor can slide in, no aditional threads needed

Sorry I was looking at the wrong part. i am an idiot.
I see how it works. So by letting less air flow to the O2 sensor it thinks it is running right based how much air it knows it passing through the exhuast?
So how is the mixture then supposed to be adjusted for other variables like altitude and humidity?

gbean said:
Sorry I was looking at the wrong part. i am an idiot.
I see how it works. So by letting less air flow to the O2 sensor it thinks it is running right based how much air it knows it passing through the exhuast?
So how is the mixture then supposed to be adjusted for other variables like altitude and humidity?

Basically the First o2 Sensor that is Pre-Cat is what Speaks to the ECU.

The Second o2 sensor is what the non-fouler is installed on when a header is installed. Installing a header removes the first Cat. The 2nd o2 sensor does only 1 thing, Verrify that Cat 1 is working.

Your corect The non-fouler creats a chamber outside the direct exhaust flow reducing the emmisions it receives, tricking the o2 sensor into thinking the Cat is there & working. It send back a good reading and all is well.

All in the while o2 sensor 1 is comunicating with the ECU as if the 1st Cat is still there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply.
Makes perfect sense.
Now if only Headers were not so expensive.

Rac3rX said:
Basically the First o2 Sensor that is Pre-Cat is what Speaks to the ECU.

The Second o2 sensor is what the non-fouler is installed on when a header is installed. Installing a header removes the first Cat. The 2nd o2 sensor does only 1 thing, Verrify that Cat 1 is working.

Your corect The non-fouler creats a chamber outside the direct exhaust flow reducing the emmisions it receives, tricking the o2 sensor into thinking the Cat is working. It send back a good reading and all is well.

All in the while o2 sensor 1 is comunicating with the ECU as if the 1st Cat is still there.

hey guys i was just wonderin if this is what i have to do if i'm gonna go catless???.... i allrdy have OBX header installed (everythin works fine 5k miles on it) and im gonna get MAM catless mid pipe in a week or soo

peace

Back