awr 21.5 sway bar

:
2002 pro 5 and 1969 chevelle malibu
Im thinking about getting a awr 21.5 bar for the rear of my pro five but befor i do i wouldnt mind some feed back from ppl that have done it already.

my Main conserns are does the ride suffer and do i need to to get a front one also or is it fine with the bigger rear only thanks in advance/

I have a progress 22mm rear & the only thing it changed was much better cornering & gave it a bit of 3 wheel motion if entering or exiting parking lots or driveways that are sloped. I believe the oem is hollow 17mm. There are 19mm ones out there that would be good too. The front doesn't really need a different one as much, just changing the rear seemed to balance out the car just right. There are front ones available if you need it for some heavy duty track time. Big difference, you'll love it.

You will want to use aftermarket struts, like the Tokiko HPs. The brackets on the stock struts are not strong enough for them,and they are prone to snap off. I have hears the rear is really helpful by itself.

Stock endlinks & struts still with 1.3 lowering all around. Both still hanging in there just fine so far. I'll be pulling the trigger on awr endlinks & tokicos at 1st sign of dogs*** from the struts tho. Not a race car so they will probably hold out awhile. Been this way for almost 2 years now. Also added the rear strut bar brace but not sure how much or if it's doing much more to stiffen up the back.

I have this awr bar with awr endlinks on my car for almost a year. My stock rear struts are starting to squeak. Im guessing they are ready to snap. I just bought some HP's which should be here on thursday. I highly recommend you do the same before you regret it. I do feel a big difference from the stock 17mm to the awr 21.5mm.

Johndg said:
I have this awr bar with awr endlinks on my car for almost a year. My stock rear struts are starting to squeak. Im guessing they are ready to snap. I just bought some HP's which should be here on thursday. I highly recommend you do the same before you regret it. I do feel a big difference from the stock 17mm to the awr 21.5mm.

is the awr bar much heavier? did you have a chance to compare during the install?

It is heavier. I didnt take pics of the difference but there is a visual difference as well.

Johndg said:
I would regret pulling off useful struts before I needed to. Might as well use them up. When they show signs of giving up I will replace them as you will be. I do all my own work so no big deal. They've been off to put on the lowering springs, they'll come off to hit the garbage when time comes. I have too many useful replaced items taking up space in the garage already but thanks for the warning. Did you go with blues or illuminas?

i had the 21 mm bar on my stock strut for 10K+ miles no issues with the tabs....i have the lumina adj. and for sure the tabs are much stronger...the oly issue i have with the bar and end links are the stupid silly rubber washers, tony really needs to upgrade those to heavy rubber bushings, they just wear out and then clunk...it an easy fix (although i haven't got back under the car just yet to do it!) brianmp5t
did this write up....
AWR Endlinks Make Noise
<HR style="COLOR: #bbbbbb" SIZE=1>Most people know that Tony at AWR makes Adjustable endlinks for the Protege. They were loud so he came up with some silly O rings and s*** that made it a bit better. Here is one step further.

GROMET!

A Gromet is normally used to protect wiring when it passes though metal like a fire wall. I have a new use for these baby's.

Bushings to snug the Endlinks. End result. Stock Quiet and AWR Performance...

AWR%20FIX%20-%20(4).jpg

AWR%20FIX%20-%20(1).jpg

AWR%20FIX%20-%20(2).jpg

is it better to get the sway bar after you replace the struts? or just get the sway bar and wait untill they need to be replaced..

When the tabs on the stock struts have broken with the sway bars, it was not always with warning. I would probably not want to be driving when the tab snaps off. I would rather choose to be on the safe side, instead of installing something correctly once, instead of when something breaks.

The car won't handle right but not thinking it'll cause a crash or anything unless maybe if you're at max Gs in a hairy turn that sends you spinning after it breaks right?

I would replace them both at the same time. I have hps and a 21.5 awr rear sway bar. I have to say that the sway bar is amazing, it tightens the back end of the car up a huge amount, even to the point of being able to oversteer on a hard turn. It is also adjustable so you can change how tight you want it to be. It is an excellent upgrade and worth the money if you like *spirited driving* however, I would recommend replacing the struts at the same time not only for safety reasons (tabs are stronger) but to fully appreciate the effect of the sway bar, you don't want to have to deal with crappy squishy stock struts.

Back