extended waranty questions

02Protege'5

:
'02 P5
My factory waranty is about to mile out. I baught the car a year ago with approx. 15k on it. It now has 49,500 miles, the mazda factory warranty runs out at 50k. I got an offer from smartautowarranty.com. It's $160 down and $130 a monthr for 12 months for a 5 year, 100,000 miles. It covers pretty much the same stuff my total care warranty covers. Is it worth it, has anyone ever heard of smartautowarranty.com before? any suggested extended warranty companys?

Thanks
Tony

Save your money...You'll put all that money in buying it & when you go to use it they will tell you they arent going to cover the work for whatever reason...I would keep the money in my pocket to save for doing repairs

ya just put the $130 in a savings account for the next 12 months and let it accrue interest for the next 5 years

i got the extended warranty for mazda for 39 bucks a month for 48 months (same amount of time i financed the car for) and its bumper to bumper. They replaced a cracked foglight for me :p

and its warranteed until 100k miles or 5 years

don't get it......save your money and use it if you need to. how has the car been running/serviced?

-R

Don't do it! Just save your money for when you actually need a repair. I bought one through the dealer (not Mazda or dealer where I bought the car but a third party) for $1695. My P5 had 67xxx when I bought it and I had 60 days to cancel for a full refund. Well after getting home I read the warranty and WHOA....if service wasn't done AND documented at the proper intervals they would not cover it. All work (even routine maintenance) had to be done by a licensed mechanic to qualify and you had to provide receipts as proof.

So I cancelled and got my 'full refund' minus the $35 processing fee and now I have to fill out an e-form for the state to recoup the taxes I paid on it!

^^

yeah, i heard it is sooooo hard to get things covered under these warranties!

i purchased an extension when i bought my pfive. i have had them in the past and they were worth their weight in gold. My old ride was a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and i took an extended warrenty for $1700...within the time period of the warranty, my 4wd system got destroyed and the bill was almost $5000. go figure...

right so I'm a service writer with Mazda and I would say no. Warranties are good for people who know nothing about cars or only want ot keep it stock. If you only want stock parts on your car have a warranty, if you want to modd it it would be cheaper and more fun to put aftermarket parts in place of the stock ones that fail. Its up to ya. We have a customer that had his catalytic converter replaced on his 04 mazda6 and it was $1000 for all of the parts and labor. Stock is expensive because its(for the most part reliable). But at the end of the day its up to ya.

Blitzd said:
right so I'm a service writer with Mazda and I would say no. Warranties are good for people who know nothing about cars or only want ot keep it stock. If you only want stock parts on your car have a warranty, if you want to modd it it would be cheaper and more fun to put aftermarket parts in place of the stock ones that fail. Its up to ya. We have a customer that had his catalytic converter replaced on his 04 mazda6 and it was $1000 for all of the parts and labor. Stock is expensive because its(for the most part reliable). But at the end of the day its up to ya.

I for the most part am a "stock" person who uses his car for commuting, joy riding and ... grocery shopping so the after market warranties really ring my bell.

i agree with Blitzd that if you are going to put aftermarket stuff on, don't waste your $ with a warranty.

02Protege'5 said:
My factory waranty is about to mile out. I baught the car a year ago with approx. 15k on it. It now has 49,500 miles, the mazda factory warranty runs out at 50k. I got an offer from smartautowarranty.com. It's $160 down and $130 a monthr for 12 months for a 5 year, 100,000 miles. It covers pretty much the same stuff my total care warranty covers. Is it worth it, has anyone ever heard of smartautowarranty.com before? any suggested extended warranty companys?

Thanks
Tony

You would be paying just over $600 a year to cover the car for just under three years if you keep driving at that rate. I just can't see spending that much on none maintanence repairs every year.

Back