P5 pulling weight

bobbypressley

:
2003 protege 5
ok, so I'm headed to florida, in about a month and I'm taking my boat, with me. I will be pulling my boat with my p5. It's about 10 hour drive for me here in charlotte. It's a pretty flat ride so I think my p5 will be ok.
my boat is 13' long. It weighs about 300-400 pounds and with the trailer probley add 125 pounds. so all together I would say the total trailing weight would be 400 to 500 pounds. my question is "do you guys think my p5 can handle it ok".??
I've been told that i should be ok, but I just need some more assurence from my protege' family.

BOAT SPECS
boat weight 300-400 pounds (fiberglass hull)
boat motor 100 pounds ( mercury 20 hp)
trailer weight 100 pounds (14' long with 8 inch tires under it) thinkin of upgrading to 12 inch tires for more clearence.

I don't have much to add as far as if it can handle it, but i have two other things:
Probably a major question people are going to want answered first is what kind of hitch are you using- what class? Also- only a 100lb trailer?? is it wood? i would think a steel trailer would be more than 100lbs... just a guess though

i dont think you'll have an issue - just dont drive fast or you'll cook your brakes.

wildo said:
I don't have much to add as far as if it can handle it, but i have two other things:
Probably a major question people are going to want answered first is what kind of hitch are you using- what class? Also- only a 100lb trailer?? is it wood? i would think a steel trailer would be more than 100lbs... just a guess though

It would be a class 1 hitch and reciever. and the trailer is basically just a long peice of steel with a cross brace at the back and a small axel with 2 leaf springs,2 hubs and two tires. Theres not a whole lot there.

If you and a buddy can pick the boat up yourselves and you put it on a fairly light weight trailer you will be fine. I'm guessing the trailer alone will weight 250-300lbs.

If you were talking about a 1000lb+ boat that would be a different story.

I towed our 16' boat and steel trailer weighing 1500lbs with my Na6 miata for about a mile to the boat launch with a class one hitch :p

just be careful and you'll be fine!

its gonna look like the boats pushing the p5, but damm that seems like to much weight 4 our p5s dontcha think? my fat mom,dad and sister drag my car down enough

should be fine, just make sure you position the boat correctly on the trailer so the majority of the weight in over the trailer wheels and it isnt front heavy

Tasty said:
I only have one not nice thing to add: That is gonna look hilarious. Pics!

absolutely. TTIWWP!

I don't see why it would be a problem pulling it though, I know I've loaded the back seats and cargo area down so that I was tucking a little wheel (not just tire) in the back and it was ok.

here is another time I loaded it down and had no problems. I don't know how much weight this was, but this was with 0 occupants in the car
kanseizm_lowww.jpg

NoRotor said:
should be fine, just make sure you position the boat correctly on the trailer so the majority of the weight in over the trailer wheels and it isnt front heavy
Actually, no matter the weight of the trailer if it has a single axl, it should be 60/40. 60% of the weight should be on the tongue side of the axle. That works out to be about 15% of the weight on the tongue. So if a trailer was 1200lbs the tongue should put180lbs of force on the rear of your car, roughly equivalent to one person in the back of your car. No problem there, but when braking and accellerating it is like having six additional people in your car.

I wouldn't recommend towing anything over 1000lbs with the protege unless it is for short distances over relatively flat terrain.

KanseiZM said:
absolutely. TTIWWP!

I don't see why it would be a problem pulling it though, I know I've loaded the back seats and cargo area down so that I was tucking a little wheel (not just tire) in the back and it was ok.

here is another time I loaded it down and had no problems. I don't know how much weight this was, but this was with 0 occupants in the car

This is actually helpful to me as my new P5 sits pretty low and I was worried about bottoming out in the back with any kind of real load. I'm a little less worried now.

I remember going to England with my brothers and dad, and an old friend of his that lived over there picked us up in Bath in his old Volvo wagon. With 5 grown men, two over 6 feet and 200 lbs., every time we hit a bump in that car the poor wheels were rubbing the fender wells for about 200 yards down the road. I felt bad for the guy, yet it was funny.

Tasty said:
This is actually helpful to me as my new P5 sits pretty low and I was worried about bottoming out in the back with any kind of real load. I'm a little less worried now.

I remember going to England with my brothers and dad, and an old friend of his that lived over there picked us up in Bath in his old Volvo wagon. With 5 grown men, two over 6 feet and 200 lbs., every time we hit a bump in that car the poor wheels were rubbing the fender wells for about 200 yards down the road. I felt bad for the guy, yet it was funny.

I drove 360 miles with it a bit more loaded down than that without rubbing or anything, and that was with 215/40/17 tires. I'm lowered on goldline springs (about 2" drop in the rear)

lol....what a dumb ass. I can't believe anyones that stupid.
anyways thanks for everyones help. i appricate it and I'll be sure to snap some pics of the p5 pulling my baot...lol
thanks

Back