Options for adding an auxiliary input on the Mazda3

It would be cool to control the ipod from the steering wheel, but I think i will just buy this unit:

57_1.JPG

it's less than $20 and charges the ipod and uses the dock on the bottom for better sound. But I WILL be needing a ground loop isolator correct, since it will be charging at the same time?

That's similar to the belkin unit except it adds a video output. And correct you will need a ground loop isolator.

Ok, so I have a 2004 Mazda 3s with 6 disc cd changer, no sirius/sat nav or anything. What would be the best option for me? I've read pretty much this entire thread and I still haven't been convinced as to which option would be best for me. I want to be able to control my ipod with my steering wheel, I'd like text display but from what I've read, it is impossible (as of now) to get text display with an 04??

Ok, so I have a 2004 Mazda 3s with 6 disc cd changer, no sirius/sat nav or anything. What would be the best option for me? I've read pretty much this entire thread and I still haven't been convinced as to which option would be best for me. I want to be able to control my ipod with my steering wheel, I'd like text display but from what I've read, it is impossible (as of now) to get text display with an 04??

If you want text display on your '04 (no SAT button) then your only option is to go with the Axxess module. It plugs into the TAPE/MD slot and emulates a mini disc player.

That DICE LEVEL 5 module looks like the best thing, even reads out TEXT! Just wondering if anyone's used it yet?

That DICE LEVEL 5 module looks like the best thing, even reads out TEXT! Just wondering if anyone's used it yet?

a bunch of people on mazda 3 forums have used it.... I believe there were some problems with it functioning properly. I also think the same problems were happening with the newer prolink. btw what's the "level 5" thing?

Yikes all this info is confusing... HELP?
I have a 2005 3S with stock 6-disc changer and stereo that includes a SAT button and TAPE/MD button, both do nothing at this time- of course.
I just got a new ipod TOUCH and have been having fun with it- would love to be able to use in my car. control via steering wheel buttons and seeing display on stock stereo screen sounds cool... Suggestions please?
And please don't use any abbreviations or acronyms without explaining- I don't know what all the terms are here- call me ignorant because re this subject I definitely am! Thanks much!
Michael

Yikes all this info is confusing... HELP?
I have a 2005 3S with stock 6-disc changer and stereo that includes a SAT button and TAPE/MD button, both do nothing at this time- of course.
I just got a new ipod TOUCH and have been having fun with it- would love to be able to use in my car. control via steering wheel buttons and seeing display on stock stereo screen sounds cool... Suggestions please?
And please don't use any abbreviations or acronyms without explaining- I don't know what all the terms are here- call me ignorant because re this subject I definitely am! Thanks much!
Michael

Well Michael it depends entirely on what you want out of the ipod module as they come with different features. The least expensive way to get your ipod integrated would be with the Grom ipod module. The next bump up in price would be to add a 3.5mm input (read: headphone jack) in case you want to plug in a non-ipod device at some point. I.E. the audiolink. The next next bump in price would be adding text information on the LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) on the HU (Head Unit, aka stereo). Since you have a '05 model you could get text display with the Axxess module via the TAPE/MD port, or with the newer versions of the Neo Prolink, or DICE modules through the SAT port.

Again it depends on what you want out of it. Hope that helps, but if not just let me know.

icspots,
Thanks for the info and terms, but I'm still not clear. Perhaps I can be more clear as well... I do NOT want an FM transmitter setup, but rather a wired connection for optimum sound quality- and that charges the ipod touch.

So if I understand you correctly, in order to get ipod text/display info on my HU (stock stereo LCD screen), I would need to look at the Axxess module (model #?), Neo Prolink (#?) or Dice module (#?).

What's the prices and where do I find these? If they come with instructions I think I can install myself.

Are there pros/cons to choosing one module vs. another or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks,
Michael

icspots,
Thanks for the info and terms, but I'm still not clear. Perhaps I can be more clear as well... I do NOT want an FM transmitter setup, but rather a wired connection for optimum sound quality- and that charges the ipod touch.

Everything listed on the first page (pretty much anyway) involves a direct wired connection. I think I mention transmitters as an option but I didn't go into them. Several of the newer ipods need an adapter in order to charge correctly so you might want to look into that.

So if I understand you correctly, in order to get ipod text/display info on my HU (stock stereo LCD screen), I would need to look at the Axxess module (model #?), Neo Prolink (#?) or Dice module (#?).

What's the prices and where do I find these? If they come with instructions I think I can install myself.

Yes there are only three modules which display text information on the stereo's display. All three of those are listed at the beginning of the second post of this thread under the heading

Ipod Integration w/ LCD text display:
These methods provide an audio input, plus control of an ipod via the stereo controls and display ID3 tag info. on the HU's LCD

The prices are listed in the descriptions (ballpark as things do change), and click on the name for a link to a place to buy one. As for installs there are copious install walkthroughs all over the forum. Pulling the stereo is a 5 minute job then it's just plug in the module, mount it somewhere and run the cable where you want it.

Are there pros/cons to choosing one module vs. another or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks,
Michael

In end function they're pretty similar. There have been reports of difficult user interfaces in the dice and neo modules, though I've heard relatively good things about the Axxess module. Most people seem generally happy with some of the simpler integration methods that lack text display as they tend to have fewer problems.

Just a note for those with 08.5+ Speed 3's:

The OEM adapter DOES display artist and track information. However, the new adapter has two wires marked CAN+ and CAN-, and those tap into the GREEN/yellow and BLUE/yellow wires that are on the 12-pin display plug, respectively.

hmmm why would a damn iPOD interface need to have CAN bus? Are they recording what music you're listening to when you crash so they can deny coverage if you're listening to like, StaticX or Slayer?

first time posting to any forum, so excuse any newbie-isms. My fiance bought a 5 door 2006 Mazda 3. It has a 6 disc CD changer and Bose speakers. I want to get him more audio stuff for Christmas. I don't know enough to understand what is best from what options I've found so far. Is there anything that allows satellite radio (preferably Sirus) and ipod adaptor to work together? If yes, would it allow the driver control from the steering wheel? What about the Track/Song/Artist display on the HU display? Feel free to school me on this stuff! :)

first time posting to any forum, so excuse any newbie-isms. My fiance bought a 5 door 2006 Mazda 3. It has a 6 disc CD changer and Bose speakers. I want to get him more audio stuff for Christmas. I don't know enough to understand what is best from what options I've found so far. Is there anything that allows satellite radio (preferably Sirus) and ipod adaptor to work together? If yes, would it allow the driver control from the steering wheel? What about the Track/Song/Artist display on the HU display? Feel free to school me on this stuff! :)

Sorry, didn't see your reply.

Assuming you want satellite radio controlled from the stereo you don't have many choices.... basically one option each for satellite/input, and satellite/ipod (integration)

If you went with the OEM sirius receiver you could install the Aux Mod basic and use that as an audio input. It connects to the TAPE/MD port so it won't conflict with the sirius. This is just a simple input so you won't be able to control the ipod from it.

Alternately you could get the Axxess module with the XM option. Basically it replaces the extra audio input with a Terk XM receiver. The XM is controlled through the HU and displays on the HU LCD. The down side to this is Terk discontinued that receiver so you might have a bit more trouble finding one.

Your other option is to go with one of the ipod integration modules (audiolink, etc.) which have a 3.5mm input and then just buy an external satellite radio unit. This way would be much cheaper, however you'd have to control the satellite radio from the external unit.... the ipod would be controlled through the HU.

2006 3i Help With Aux Input???

I have been scanning the threads but I don't see anymore discussion about adding the factory console mount aux input to the earlier cars??? Has or can this be done??

I have Auxmod basic, It sounds like a CD, the only thing is when using an Ipod or any source you'll have to set the volume on the source so when you use the volume on the headunit it wont get fuzzy

So I've been looking through all these different ipod adapters and they are vague on which ones work on the mazdaspeed 3. I also read that none of them work for a cx-7 with nav. Since the mazdaspeed is similar would this be an issue. I have a 07 mazdaspeed 3 bose w/ nav. I'm just trying to find the best one that will work for my car.

So I've been looking through all these different ipod adapters and they are vague on which ones work on the mazdaspeed 3. I also read that none of them work for a cx-7 with nav. Since the mazdaspeed is similar would this be an issue. I have a 07 mazdaspeed 3 bose w/ nav. I'm just trying to find the best one that will work for my car.

AFAIK the only one that won't work with the '07 model (speed vs. regular doesn't matter for the stereo) is the Axxess module. All others should work fine.

Just wanted to add that the Mazda iPod interface now includes LCD text display for 08.5-09 models. Total cost is roughly 200.00.

Back