question: is overdrive on or off ?

Rac3rX said:
Your just confirming what Im saying

"Overdrive
By definition, an overdrive has a faster output speed than input speed."

That simply explains how this is acheved through a auto tanny.

The Means to an end result being to maintain the driving speed with less output power. The 5th gear ration on a manual also acheves this by another means.

Overdrive IS A high gear used at high speeds to maintain the driving speed with less output power.
fine. 5th gear = overdrive on an auto. you should stick with the american transmissions though because i hear they have the best tasting rations around

Rac3rX said:
In the 5spd, 4th & 5th are overdrive gears also.

Holy s***!!! Well then how comes the "O/D Off" light doesn't come on while I'm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd? It must be blowed out.(poke)

Please don't answer that. I'm just playing

umm, how do I know if my auto tranny has O/D?
There's no button or anything.
Is my triptronic shift my way of using this? (i.e. i shift into/out of 3rd)

Crazee D said:
umm, how do I know if my auto tranny has O/D?
There's no button or anything.
Is my triptronic shift my way of using this? (i.e. i shift into/out of 3rd)

Yes

Your 4th is still overdriven, but you have no button to Turn it off.

You can down shift simply by flooring the gas. This will make the tranny downshift most of the time, but with no OD button in auto mode & it will shift back up to 4th and not hold 3rd.

When in shift mode she will not go into 4th untill you shift her so this can be used to keep her in 3rd if you need to.

In a reguler auto the OD button turns OD off to prevent it from going back into 4th and downshift out of 4th.

Rac3rX said:
Yes
Your 4th is still overdriven, but you have no button to Turn it off.
You can down shift simply by flooring the gas. This will make the tranny downshift most of the time, but with no OD button in auto mode & it will shift back up to 4th and not hold 3rd.
When in shift mode she will not go into 4th untill you shift her so this can be used to keep her in 3rd if you need to.
In a reguler auto the OD button turns OD off to prevent it from going back into 4th and downshift out of 4th.

Roger that! TY!!

I do feel something change at highway speed, when I'm in 4th that must be the ECU switch fuel maps or open/closed loop? I will search/post in re: this behavior in the tuning section.

Crazee D said:
Roger that! TY!!

I do feel something change at highway speed, when I'm in 4th that must be the ECU switch fuel maps or open/closed loop? I will search/post in re: this behavior in the tuning section.
Well I believe that was explained as torque converter locking up in some previous threads vs. it being overdrive once in 4th with sportronic. Whatever it is I like it because when in manual mode 4th on freeway & you punch it it doesn't drop back to 2nd gear depending on how far you push the gas like it does when you are in auto mode. It will just change rpms some then goes back after you start cruising again.

Hmm, then does this all mean that my 92 Ranger 5 spd was lying to me? And my brother's 91 Toyota as well? The shift knob stated 1,2,3,4 and then D with a white O around it. Damn you Ford!!! LIARS! ::runs away crying::

Red5_02 said:
Hmm, then does this all mean that my 92 Ranger 5 spd was lying to me? And my brother's 91 Toyota as well? The shift knob stated 1,2,3,4 and then D with a white O around it. Damn you Ford!!! LIARS! ::runs away crying::

(headbang) (breakn)

98b/w pro said:
so your gears would be listed as
1st/
2nd
3rd
4th
overdrive gear on my manual that ow3ns you

try fitting that on a shift knob
hahaha thats great. i think that this thread has become utterly pointless...and should just be removed. even tho its definetly givin me a few laughs. especially this quote ^^ thats amusing lol

and rac3rx you are an (asshole) have a nice day (2thumbs)

Latest posts

Back