question: is overdrive on or off ?

buttthrax said:
I keep noticing that my O/D off light is coming on when I start the car. I think I have a bad habit of hitting the button when I put it in park when I park the car.

i do that in my truck, fortunately the light is there (doh)

silver03p5 said:
ok so when i turn my car on, i move the key to the "start position", but then i have to move it to on? shouldnt i have to keep it at start to keep it on? wtf mazda is dumb

You put the Key in the "Start" position to triger the Starter, then to "On" to keep the car On.

How doesnt it make sence?

You only start the car to get the engine on, once it on you leave it in on so as to not have the ignition running all the time.

Go turn your key to "Start" and hold it there after the car is started. That sound you hear is why there is a "Start" position to Start the car, and a "On" Position to keep it on .

Overdrive is a bit confusing, & its understandable that some people may be a bit confused about it. Not all are kneed deep into cars, or have been untill recent.

I'm confused... so when I look at a hot chick I get "turned on", shouldn't I be turned on until I look at a ugly chick, and then get "turned off"? wouldn't that make more sense?

wtf is wrong with me... shouldn't there be a button for manual arousal? I'm tired of being a slave to myself

(rofl) (rofl) (rofl) and rac3rx i was being a dick. i think if i can figure out how to build an engine i can figure out how to turn it on ;)

silver03p5 said:
(rofl) (rofl) (rofl) and rac3rx i was being a dick. i think if i can figure out how to build an engine i can figure out how to turn it on ;)

I wasnt sure, I figured since you have status you wouldnt be such a prick. Im messing with you now (poke) Just kidding (glare)

Come-on

People really think overdrive is like kicking it into high gear (Well it is kinda if your cruizing the highway in 4th, but thats when you shut it off and its going into a lower gear, BUT High revs)

So they Figure Turning it On makes it go OVERDRIVE POWER Not realizing what the deal is.

I had to explain this to too many people, who just arnt auto savy.

I can see where the confusion comes in. The "O/D Off" light comes "on" when the O/D is "off". WAAAAA? Thank goodness I have a 5 speed, otherwise I'd probably just sit there, go into convulsions and piss myself trying to figure out WTF was going on.

Last edited:
thats what happens when you dont read your owners manual. know what happens when i get a rental? i read the owners manual. then, viola, i know what everything does. maybe if these ppl taht OWNED these cars would RTM they would know what was going on.

or, as p5monkey said, dont be a pussy and get a 5speed

Pro5Monkey said:
I can see where the confusion comes in. The "O/D Off" light comes "on" when the O/D is "off". WAAAAA? Thank goodness I have a 5 speed, otherwise I'd probably just sit there, go into convusions and piss myself trying to figure out WTF was going on.

Ill bet that does add to the confusion.

But Its Logical (When you understand whats going on)

Overdrive on stresses the motor keeping it in 3rd when it should go into 4th(OD gear) The indicator light is to warn you that OD is off and it wont shift into 4th letting you know unless you NEED top end of third kick in the OD to upshift. You rarely need it (Mostly for merging into trafic, or passing) There is no light when its On because it should be there most of the time anyways & only when its Off should you be warned.

In the 5spd, 4th & 5th are overdrive gears also.

silver03p5 said:
thats what happens when you dont read your owners manual. know what happens when i get a rental? i read the owners manual. then, viola, i know what everything does. maybe if these ppl taht OWNED these cars would RTM they would know what was going on.

or, as p5monkey said, dont be a pussy and get a 5speed

That is true, it does explain all this in the owners manual (I also read my manuals)

no, 4th and 5th are NOT overdrive gears. overdrive is a function of an automatic transmission ONLY.
A five-speed transmission applies one of five different gear ratios to the input shaft to produce a different rpm value at the output shaft. Here are some typical gear ratios:
<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=380 align=center bgColor=lightyellow border=1><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER>Gear</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>Ratio</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>RPM at Transmission Output Shaft
with Engine at 3,000 rpm
</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD>1st</TD><TD>2.315:1</TD><TD><CENTER>1,295</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD>2nd</TD><TD>1.568:1</TD><TD><CENTER>1,913</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD>3rd</TD><TD>1.195:1</TD><TD><CENTER>2,510</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD>4th</TD><TD>1.000:1</TD><TD><CENTER>3,000</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD>5th</TD><TD>0.915:1</TD><TD><CENTER>3,278</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>Manual transmission gears have different ratio's in order to better use the power band, each gear being slightly higher than the one before it.

Transmissions
Protege DX Protege ES 2.0 Protege LX
Standard Transmission 5-Speed Manual Overdrive 5-Speed Manual Overdrive 5-Speed Manual Overdrive
Optional Transmission 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is Great!!!!!

Yeah you build motors so your being a prick to somebody confused about overdrive, but in the end YOUR confused about overdrive, Thats rich!!!

did you look at the gear ratios? 5th gear has a significantly higher ratio than 4th. this is considered over drive, as it is the highway cruising gear in the g25-mr. over drive in an automatic transmission is, as explained by how stuff works :

You've probably never tried driving a manual transmission car using only third gear. If you did, you'd quickly find out that you had almost no acceleration when starting out, and at high speeds, the engine would be screaming along near the red-line. A car like this would wear out very quickly and would be nearly undriveable.
So the transmission uses gears to make more effective use of the engine's torque, and to keep the engine operating at an appropriate speed.
The key difference between a manual and an automatic transmission is that the manual transmission locks and unlocks different sets of gears to the output shaft to achieve the various gear ratios, while in an automatic transmission, the same set of gears produces all of the different gear ratios. The planetary gearset is the device that makes this possible in an automatic transmission. Let's take a look at how the planetary gearset works.
Any planetary gearset has three main components:
  • The sun gear
  • The planet gears and the planet gears' carrier
  • The ring gear
Each of these three components can be the input, the output or can be held stationary. Choosing which piece plays which role determines the gear ratio for the gearset. Let's take a look at a single planetary gearset.

One of the planetary gearsets from our transmission has a ring gear with 72 teeth and a sun gear with 30 teeth. We can get lots of different gear ratios out of this gearset.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=430 align=center bgColor=lightyellow border=1><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Input</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Output</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Stationary</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Calculation</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Gear Ratio</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>A</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Sun (S)</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Planet Carrier (C)</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Ring (R)</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>1 + R/S</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>3.4:1</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>B</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Planet Carrier (C)</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Ring (R)</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Sun (S)</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>1 / (1 + S/R)</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>0.71:1</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>C</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Sun (S)</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Ring (R)</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>Planet Carrier (C)</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>-R/S</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]<CENTER>-2.4:1</CENTER>[/SIZE][/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Also, locking any two of the three components together will lock up the whole device at a 1:1 gear reduction. Notice that the first gear ratio listed above is a reduction -- the output speed is slower than the input speed. The second is an overdrive -- the output speed is faster than the input speed. The last is a reduction again, but the output direction is reversed. There are several other ratios that can be gotten out of this planetary gear set, but these are the ones that are relevant to our automatic transmission. You can try these out in the animation below:
<CENTER>
<OBJECT codeBase=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=4,0,2,0 height=300 width=405 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>

<embedsrc="http://static.howstuffworks.com/flash/automatic-transmission-planetary.swf" quality="high"pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="405"height="300"> </embed> </OBJECT>
[SIZE=-1]Animation of the different gear ratios related to automatic transmissions
Click on the buttons on the left in the table above.
[/SIZE]
</CENTER>So this one set of gears can produce all of these different gear ratios without having to engage or disengage any other gears. With two of these gearsets in a row, we can get the four forward gears and one reverse gear our transmission needs. We'll put the two sets of gears together in the next section.

see how fun that is? we learned today! they have completely different gear sets! ZOMG OVERDRIVE IN AUTOMATIC IS NOTHING LIKE OVERDRIVE IN MANUAL. it refers to a ratio in a manual and an entire planetary gear in an automatic. thanks for playing try again!<!-- Page Break -->
<!-- Page Break -->

Um Yeah its a OVERDRIVE GEAR THAT MEANS IT HAS OVERDRIVE!!!!!!!!

THAT MEANS OVERDRIVE IS NOT JUST FOR AUTOMATICS LIKE YOU SAID

There is no OVERDRIVE BUTTON OR INDICATOR BUT THERE IS STILL A OVERDRIVE GEAR, and IN THE AUTO ALL IT IS IS A GEAR ASWELL......4th!!!!

Yes its a given the 2 systems work completly different but that is irelevant as the Manuals have an overdrive gear

How is it only for autos when there is a overdrive gear, it would need to have NO overdrive gear in-order to not have overdrive.

See your learning alot today (I hope)

Last edited:
Overdrive is an arrangement of gearing that provides more revolutions of the driven shaft (the driveshaft going to the wheels) than the driving shaft (crankshaft of the engine). For example, a transmission with a fourth-gear ratio of 1:1 and a fifth-gear ratio of 0.70:1 will reduce engine rpm by 30 percent, while the vehicle maintains the same road speed. Thus, fuel efficiency will improve and engine wear will be notably reduced. Today, six-speed transmissions are becoming more and more common. One of the first cars sold in America with a six-speed was the '89 Corvette. Designed by Chevrolet and Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen (ZF) and built by ZF in Germany, this tough-as-nails six-speed was available in the Corvette up to the conclusion of the '96 model year. Today, the Corvette uses a Tremec T56 six-speed mounted at the back of the car.

Many cars are available today with six-speeds, including the Mazda Miata, Porsche Boxster S and 911, Dodge Viper, Mercedes-Benz SLK320, Honda S2000, Toyota Celica GT-S and many others. Some of these gearboxes provide radical 50-percent (0.50:1) sixth-gear overdrives such as in the Viper and Corvette, while others provide tightly spaced gear ratios like in the S2000 and Celica for spirited backroad performance driving. While the bigger cars mentioned above such as the Viper and Vette often have two overdrive ratios (fifth and sixth) the smaller cars like the Celica and S2000 usually have one overdriven gear ratio (sixth) and fifth is 1:1.

taken from edmunds.com notice that every time it says overdrive, ratio follows. hmmmmm

You talk alot, but you have NOTHING relevant to say!

Your now confirming that there are overdrive gears in manual trannys.

That is it that is all, All I said was 5spds have a overdrive gear, I didnt say the tranny worked the exact same as a auto, All I said is there is a overdrive gear

And your confirming it but adding a bunch of nonsence to make yourself look better.

Back