question: is overdrive on or off ?

masda

I don't have the manual that came with the car so i don't know the answer to this question!

When i click the overdrive button on my automatic mazda p5 and the light comes on in the dashboard saying " O/D Off " does that mean it's on?

When the light is off does that mean it's on or off ? ??? Because when you push it the light comes on but it says o/d off ?

I'm confused!

O/D off means that the overdrive is OFF. It disables the highest gear in the tranny (4th), which is the "overdrive" gear as the gear ratio is less than 1.00.

Normally, you would want the overdrive to be ON, which is why there is a light where it is OFF.

i really dont think it is stupid,its a reminder for the user to tell you,hey budy,engage the overdrive,i am getting to hot,your going to break me,you burn to much gaz...

so if its written o/d off,its a reminder for you to not forget it......

My Infiniti G20 is the same way and if I remember correctly my '89 Ford Probe was the same and the wifes '89 240 and our Subaru Outback. Stupid inanimate objects.

Overdrive is on at at all times untill you shut it off.

Why????

Because overdrive is the 4th gear that is higher than 1:1 gear ratio.

You shut it off to force the tranny into 3rd gear to give you "Passing" power as doing this brings you higher in the revs (Like downshifting into power to make a pass in a manual, its the same thing)

You want it ON all the time because you want it to go into 4th gear unless you need 3rds high rpms.

The Overdrive gear (4th) is for fuel economy.

Last edited:
So...if the light switch in my room is turned up to where it says on, then do you flip it down towards the word "on" to turn on the light?

J/K...Don't mind me, im just a smart ass :)

I keep noticing that my O/D off light is coming on when I start the car. I think I have a bad habit of hitting the button when I put it in park when I park the car.

buttthrax said:
I keep noticing that my O/D off light is coming on when I start the car. I think I have a bad habit of hitting the button when I put it in park when I park the car.

Glad to Help, No Prob.

Thats weird, because even if you hit it before you shut off the car, it should be reset to "On" when the car is turned off then re-started.

Last edited:
ok so when i turn my car on, i move the key to the "start position", but then i have to move it to on? shouldnt i have to keep it at start to keep it on? wtf mazda is dumb

Back