Crazy question: Lowest price for an '03 P5

I'm buying my P5 from my business. I want to pay the lowest price I can. What's the lowest price I can put on my '03 P5 with 45000 miles?

Edmunds says about $9000.

Used Car Appraiser
Back
<!-- start TMV --> <!--Start Step1 Header--> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="420"> <tbody><tr><td>
utmv_step5_420x24.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <!--End Step1 Header--> <!--Start Review Pricing Report--> <table class="table-main" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td class="stripe-four" rowspan="2" width="55%">
006954-ST.jpg
2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" colspan="3" align="center" width="45%">
tmv_pricing_horiz_blue_141x24.gif
</td> </tr> <tr><td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">Trade-In</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">Private Party</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">Dealer Retail</td> </tr> <tr><td width="55%">National Base Price</td> <td class="table-content" align="right" width="15%">$9,009</td> <td class="table-content" align="right" width="15%">$10,535</td> <td class="table-content" align="right" width="15%">$11,784</td> </tr> <tr><td class="stripe-four" width="55%">Optional Equipment</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$1,450</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$1,661</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$2,041</td> </tr> <tr><td class="stripe-four" width="45%">Alloy Wheels</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$202</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$231</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="25%">$284</td> </tr> <tr><td class="stripe-four" width="45%">Roof Rack</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$101</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$116</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="25%">$142</td> </tr> <tr><td class="stripe-four" width="45%">Power Moonroof</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$202</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$231</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="25%">$284</td> </tr> <tr><td class="stripe-four" width="45%">Compact Disc Changer</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$202</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$231</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="25%">$284</td> </tr> <tr><td class="stripe-four" width="45%">Leather Seats</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$198</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$227</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="25%">$279</td> </tr> <tr><td class="stripe-four" width="45%">AM/FM/CD Changer Audio System</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$151</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$173</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="25%">$213</td> </tr> <tr><td class="stripe-four" width="45%">4-Wheel ABS</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$275</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$315</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="25%">$387</td> </tr> <tr><td class="stripe-four" width="45%">Front Side Airbags</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$119</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$137</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="25%">$168</td> </tr> <tr><td width="55%">Color Adjustment
Black</td> <td class="table-content" align="right" width="15%">$6</td> <td class="table-content" align="right" width="15%">$6</td> <td class="table-content" align="right" width="15%">$7</td> </tr> <tr><td class="stripe-four" width="55%">Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code 20120</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$-55</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$-65</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$-72</td> </tr> <tr><td width="55%">Mileage Adjustment
45,000 miles</td> <td class="table-content" align="right" width="15%">$0</td> <td class="table-content" align="right" width="15%">$0</td> <td class="table-content" align="right" width="15%">$0</td> </tr> <tr><td class="stripe-four" width="55%">Condition Adjustment
Average</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$-1,394</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$-1,599</td> <td class="table-header-alt2" align="right" width="15%">$-1,736</td> </tr> <tr><td width="55%">Total</td> <td class="table-content" align="right" width="15%">$9,016</td> <td class="table-content" align="right" width="15%">$10,538</td> <td class="table-content" align="right" width="15%">$12,024</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td class="stripe-two" height="1">
trans1x1.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <table class="table-main" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td width="85%"> </td><td align="right" width="15%"> </td></tr></tbody> </table>

I'd say the private party price is more realistic. Trade-in is just what it says. You're not going to scoop one up for that little unless you know the right people.

It really depends where you are. I see you live in virginia but by me (in seattle,wa) they go for about 13-14k with around 20-50k miles. However sometimes you can find ones in good shape with low miles for like 8-9k you just have to keep and eye out. check out craigslist.com

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. My business already owns the P5 and I want sell it to myself. That is, transfer ownership from business to personal. My new GTO is now my business car. I have to put a price on the P5 and actually pay for it. I want to pay as little as possible while not throwing any red flags down at the IRS.

NADA guides says $10,800. That's for a 2003 w/ 45000 miles, alloy wheels, and a sunroof.

i bought my p5 private party for 9100 (blue book at that time is 11,000) and I reported it was purchased for 4500 and had no problem. Took it to AAA and they took care of the rest.

The IRS has better things to do than look at every price of private party car sales. Trust me.

I would check with an accountant. If you were selling it outright to a private party you could ask whatever you wanted, like $1.00, if you we're inclined. There may be technicalities involved, but I think it comes down to what's "legal".

In Texas you can even call the sale a "gift", but I think there is a $50 "gift tax".

what does the IRS get out of it anyway? the only thing involved in the sale price of the car is for state taxing purposes...and most states have a gift option. The federal gov't doesn't regulate any of that stuff.

the irs cares b/c its a business... they would tend to notice you selling yourself stuff at uber low prices... shady stuff doesn't go with out notice usually...

Tasty said:
The IRS has better things to do than look at every price of private party car sales. Trust me.
I own and operate a business. Moving the car's ownership from my business to my personal for significantly less than it's worth would essentially be evading income and the taxes that go along with it. You have to be careful.

Pro5Monkey said:
I would check with an accountant. If you were selling it outright to a private party you could ask whatever you wanted, like $1.00, if you we're inclined. There may be technicalities involved, but I think it comes down to what's "legal".

I am going to talk to my accountant on Monday am. With this thred, I'm just trying to see what the bottom end of pricing is so I can speak intelligently with him about it. :)

tsunami said:
the irs cares b/c its a business... they would tend to notice you selling yourself stuff at uber low prices... shady stuff doesn't go with out notice usually...

You are correct sir! A business owner cannot take the advantage of buying business cars (or anything else for that matter), writing it's cost and expenses off for a few years then simply give himself the car as personal property. That's basically giving yourself income free from taxing.

Jack Daniels said:
I am going to talk to my accountant on Monday am. With this thred, I'm just trying to see what the bottom end of pricing is so I can speak intelligently with him about it. :)

I'd like to hear how your accountant advises you.

i just sold one of our company's Honda element to one of our employee, and we sold it for half the price (6000 for 12,000) and no problem. If they give you problems, just say that there were problems with the car and get some machanic friends to make a fake invoice =)

Back