Stock P5 intake manifold P&P Vics and VTCS removed idle problem

PakmanMP5

Its Just a Family Wagon
:
2008 Mazdaspeed3 Silver
did anybody have any idle problems after you installing a Port and polished with vtcs and vics removed stock P5 Intake manifold.....after I installed it it idles fine for like 10 seconds then bog downs to a 600 RPM and it sounds like my engine is going jump out of my car? any info on this?

Why'd you take out the VICS? That's the one useful thing we've got lol (well, so long as the screws aren't falling out, which is easily fixable...)

PakmanMP5 said:
did anybody have any idle problems after you installing a Port and polished with vtcs and vics removed stock P5 Intake manifold.....after I installed it it idles fine for like 10 seconds then bog downs to a 600 RPM and it sounds like my engine is going jump out of my car? any info on this?

Why remove vics?

That could also be a issue (Too much flow at low rpm or something like that)

Doesnt it kick at 5252 rpm to give the increased flow when needed, meaning having it at full flow from before 5252 would be a big overkill and drown the system. causing a bog down, and or terrible idle?

Last edited:
VICS
Variable Intake Control System
Our intake has 2 paths, a big one and a small one, It only opens them both at 5252rpm to optimize air flow at low and high rpms.

VTCS
Variable Tumble Control System
This causes turbulence in the air flow when the engine is cold for better fuel mix & is shut off when the engine is warmed up, but is often taken out because it restricts air flow none the less.

Last edited:
I had the same problem. Loosen everything up and then tighten it again. Do it systematically, so you don't miss any spots. It's just a vacuum leak.

jonlong said:
I had the same problem. Loosen everything up and then tighten it again. Do it systematically, so you don't miss any spots. It's just a vacuum leak.

Did you remove your VICS also?

PakmanMP5 said:
do I unplugg anything so it will not recognize the VICS?
? Why would you want to? VICS = good....

And if you unplug it, it'll throw a code cuz it doesn't see it.

I have a CAI (cold air intake) installed on my engine. Therefore there is only one path for air to travel, and I don't see how the VICS could work without the stock intake box.

Tasty said:
I have a CAI (cold air intake) installed on my engine. Therefore there is only one path for air to travel, and I don't see how the VICS could work without the stock intake box.
OHHHH, so THAT'S what CAI stands for! Ok. See, I always thought that the VICS was inside the MANIFOLD, and was totally independant of the piping up to the throttle body, but you know, you showed me....

On a more serious note, the VICS is a set of valves / flaps that change the geometry of the intake runners within the manifold at within a certain RPM range, so you having a CAI has got nothing to do with that (besides theoretically increasing the desnity of the air going into the engine)....

Thanks for playing tho...

Last edited:
aMaff said:
OHHHH, so THAT'S what CAI stands for! Ok. See, I always thought that the VICS was inside the MANIFOLD, and was totally independant of the piping up to the throttle body, but you know, you showed me....

On a more serious note, the VICS is a set of valves / flaps that change the geometry of the intake runners within the manifold at within a certain RPM range, so you having a CAI has got nothing to do with that (besides theoretically increasing the desnity of the air going into the engine)....

Thanks for playing tho...

Wow, thanks for being so sarcastic. My post was not in the least meant to be insulting. I have absolutely no knowledge of the stock intake vs. cai, and from your previous posts description it sounded to me like perhaps all that stuff was in the stock intake. I guess it's more comparable to VTEC on a Honda though, just with a different name. For a guy with 3,000 posts you should be a little more indulgent to those of us who are new to these rides and are trying to learn. No harm meant by me. Just looking to gain some knowledge.

the 626 manifold, the protegegarage manifold and the ********** manifold have neither VICS or VTCS. some people with these manifolds have spoke of similar problems.

i believe the low idle and bog is due to the ECU's programmed warmup cycle. it is mapped to provide X fuel and X timing under certain conditions. you have the solenoids plugged in, which you need to have plugged in so that the ECU will not throw a check engine light. Downside to this is that the ECU will see the voltage from the solenoids and think that the butterflys are in position and doing their respective jobs, so it is going to add the fuel/timing it thinks it needs to add, despite the fact that the airflow has changed without those flaps in place. and as for the argument that either system is in place for horsepower, i am more of the mindset that they are for fuel efficiency and emissions moreso than horsepower concerns.

i think that once the car warms up it will act more normally.

lol, sorry, no problem ;). It sounded condesending, but no harm no foul. Tis the internet (shrug)

Anyway, yeah, that's how it works. The VTEC on hondas, if I'm not mistaken, engages a more agressive cam profile. The VICS opens a set of valves within the manifold that in effect changes the intake geometry giving more air velocity into the cylinders.

I Beleve The 626 manifold shouldnt be used for N/A Proteges, Id leave that for the Turbos, Isnt that the reason PG only list it under the MSP? (I was going for it for a while, but find too many people with these issues)

For N/A's a Stock Manifold Ported with the VTCS removed (And VICS intact) is best, in my opinion.

& I was talking with Innu_Qc about this in the Dup of this thread, and he says

Innu_Qc said:
I don't know why you would remove your VICS, they do make a difference in power on a N/A motor. I went to a dyno last year and I realised my vics selenoid wasn't working anymore. With vics always closed the power would top out at around 5200 rpm than drop abruptly from there, we did 3 runs like this before I identified what was going on. We did an another 3 run, but this time we clamped the vics open, it would pull nice until 6200 rpm but at the crossover point where the vics open normally (4800 rpm) power was around 5-8 hp lower than with the vics closed. Torque was also 10-15 pounds lower than with vics closed. So all that to say, vics should be kept working normally on any N/A build. I solve my problem with the vtcs selenoid wich where not doing anything since I removed the vtcs ;)

That is Straight Testing! & what you would expect.

So I would Put the VICS Back in and leave the 626 manifolds for Turbo apps.

Last edited:
Back