Manual tranny - synthetic fluid?

Tasty

:
2003 Protege5
Anyone here running a manual tranny with synthetic fluid in it? If so, what is compatible with the tranny and the fluid they actually recommend.

However, one thing to note, you will notice while cruising that there is a bit of a whine coming from the transmission. I know other people that have switched to redline have noticed it and I don't think it is a big deal. You don't really notice it unless you really listen hard for it.

While you are at it, you might as well get a short shifter and new shift bushings i f you have not already replaced them.
The combo of kartboy bushings + shifter + syn MT fluid make for an amazing drive.

Best $150ish bucks I have ever spent on my car

Kartboy shifter and bushings were already installed when I bought the vehicle two weeks ago. I put new Iridium NGKs in, going to do synthetic manual tranny fluid soon, and change the oil (the previous owner had already been running synthetic). The car has an Injen Cyborg intake that I'm not too crazy about with the Corksport intake duct. I just don't like the location of the air filter. Don't wanna go back to stock, but don't wanna worry about driving in the rain either.

You don't really need to worry about a CAI unless you are driving through puddles > 6 inches deep. So unless you are wading through tons of water, I wouldn't worry about anything.

I switched out my tranny fluid for Redline MT-90 last Fall (~52K). I have also noticed the louder whine that was referred to earlier. No big deal and not annoying by any means and if you listen to every little ping, clank, whistle, whine, or creak your car makes (like me), you can hear it. Made the shifting a lot easier, especially in cold weather but I still think it's too notchy for my taste (and yes, I have the Kartboy bushings) but I'm not rushing to replace the tranny oil again anytime soon.

Hmm, I don't want any more whines than I have to have. Perhaps I'll stay conventional. I find the car to be loud at highway speeds already. Dynamat is definitely in the future for this car.

prix said:
Do not let the whine deter you, it is definitly worth it.

I concur with the above. The whine is hardly noticeable. If you listen to the radio or even drive with your windows down, you won't hear it at all.

The reason most people report a louder whine after switching to Redline or another synthetic is so that other people don't freak out when they hear it after doing the switch.

I'm using some Castrol Syntec stuff (because I couldn't justify the MT-90 price). It is a noticable improvement, smoother shifting with a bit less resistance, but not a huge difference. If you're needing to change the fluid anyway, I would go synthetic.

The service manual says replace the metal washers. How critical is that? I know they are the metal crush type, but they don't look much worse for the wear to me. I will probably replace them, but I always wondered about those metal types.

I noticed that my washers were a bit marked when I took them off, so I probably should have replaced them but I didn't and as far as I can tell there's no leak or anything. Personally I'd say replace them just to be safe though.

That's what I figured. Thanks for confirming my instinct.

Edit: New copper crush washers and Mobil 1 75W-90 GL-5 oil installed. Seems a bit smoother on shifts. Old oil was a little on the dark side.

Last edited:
Back