README: Stock MSP Stereo Warranty / Issues / Upgrades

well, I went with another Kenwood, and so that is plug and play, but I'm about 95% sure that only another kenwood aftermarket will plug and play, if you have some soldering skills, I would suggest trying to buy a ribbon and just replacing the ribbon, you'd have to take the thing apart, but it's worth a shot, but after buying new ones to replace the stock one because I liked the stock one so much, it really isn't worth it unless you can fix the one you have.. with that being said, I think it is worth changing the ribbon first and give that a shot.. it's only $20 and really any aftermarket that I personally think is worth getting, especially when I was looking at the kenwoods I could buy, were about $250+.. the one I got was $330 which was the Kenwood KDC-X995 which so far I absolutely love, but I plan on fixing my brother's stock radio in his msp, even though he has a pretty decent head unit lying around in the basement from his old car..

well, I went with another Kenwood, and so that is plug and play, but I'm about 95% sure that only another kenwood aftermarket will plug and play, if you have some soldering skills, I would suggest trying to buy a ribbon and just replacing the ribbon, you'd have to take the thing apart, but it's worth a shot, but after buying new ones to replace the stock one because I liked the stock one so much, it really isn't worth it unless you can fix the one you have.. with that being said, I think it is worth changing the ribbon first and give that a shot.. it's only $20 and really any aftermarket that I personally think is worth getting, especially when I was looking at the kenwoods I could buy, were about $250+.. the one I got was $330 which was the Kenwood KDC-X995 which so far I absolutely love, but I plan on fixing my brother's stock radio in his msp, even though he has a pretty decent head unit lying around in the basement from his old car..

Cool thanks for the advice! If you get to fixing your bro's radio let us know how it goes. I think I'll just get another Kenwood so it'll be easier for plug and play. Maybe I'll eventually try to fix the broken one but right now I just want a dang radio in my to listen to! lol

ya I don't blame you, if you are looking for something that has great sound, and is simple to use and has great tuning ability, look at the one that I got, it's go everything and is sooo great and easy to work with, it's kind of expensive, but I between 200-250 for ones that are OK, but not really what I wanted, I figured $330 wasn't bad, I figure if I'm going to spent a couple hundred, I mine as well pay up and get something that I will like a lot,

Since i bought my MSP about a year ago my sub never worked. Recently I checked the fuse near the battery and it was blown so i replaced it. THe sub worked perfect for a day then stoped and the fuse on the amp blew. now when i replace it the sub works for 2 min and sounds staticy and the fuse blows. Is the sub shorting out? and blowing the fuse? or is it bad?

mine didn't work at all and would blow a fuse instantly if installed. The amp was internally shorted. I bought a replacement on e-Bay for $40 bucks (same model) and it work fine.

I decided to buy a Sony Head Unit to replace the Stock Kenwood. Crutchfield says thay don't have a connector to adapt to the stock Kenwood connector. Has anyone located a female connector that connects to the stock Kenwood connector ..... I dont know if am up for cutting the harness...
THX

Amp?

So I've owned my MSP for over 3 years and its time to upgrade the radio. I have JL 8W1V2-4 and a Kenwood 5201 amp I want to upgrade the door speakers, rear speakers and maybe tweeters. I plan on running an amp to them. how to I use a 4 channel amp to power all of them? Can I? what about the crossover to the tweets? Do i just run the amp to the front speakers' input and is there a built in crossover? Im upgrading my stock radio to a KDC-HD548U( 3 pre-amps out ). The door speakers will most likely be JL but if you have any suggestions please post.

i bought my msp all stock, but unfortunately the amplifier in it is missing... i know it's the KAC-529S (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2LiDOND2DnQ/p_113KAC529S/Kenwood-KAC-529S.html) but it looks as though it's rather discontinued from everywhere i look. i was wondering where i might be able to get one still, or if it's a lost cause. if there is another amp i could put in its place i'm all ears, i just want to get my subwoofer working again! thanks

The original amp wasn't very powerful. If you read this thread and others you would find that out. As for replacement amps, I'm sure there are plenty that will drop right in to the factory location. Before you order one, you might want to make sure the subwoofer is there too, and it still works. If it isn't or doesn't, you might as well order both at the same time.

If you aren't sure what will fit, take some measurements and phone Crutchfield directly. They are very good on the phone. If you are viewing the website at the same time, they can quickly load up products on your web browser. Sure, there are places that sell cheaper amps and subs, but Crutchfield will help you get things sorted out.

Anyone know what the stock replacement for the MSP sub would be now?

its a 8ohm kenwood, 8"

so pretty much anything thats 8ohms and fits.

the amp can be run at 4ohms safely, but mazda chose to run it at 8ohms because it runs cooler (the amp is mounted upside down ) and the wiring they ran is only 12awg, so if you wanted to run it at 4ohms, you would want to upgrade to at least 10awg.

as far as replacement...i would just go with whats on sale at partsexpress:
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofers/14?kg=497|3922;498|3938

the kicker on there might not fit because of the magnet...

I have a Kicker 8" comp in my factory sub box, they may have changed the design but it is an 07 model IIRC.

Last edited:
I needed a new head unit recently and noticed that most of the options listed here are no longer available.

I pulled my old unit using the butter knife method and found that the connections appeared to be the same as what I see on the current Kenwood units on crutchfield.
The one difference being that the OEM has cables coming out of the back for the preouts and antenna while the newer units just have places to plug in the cables.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC258U/Kenwood-KDC-258U.html?search=kdc+258u&osp=kdc+258u&tp=5684

I installed the Kenwood KDC-258U tonight and can confirm that it is plug and play. The cables for the antenna, subwoofer amp, and wiring harness just plug right in. This is a very basic unit, but the other Kenwood models I looked at on Crutchfield appear to have the same connections.

The only issue I had is that the cables don't have much extra length. To get the main harness to plug in I had to hold the cable behind the plug between two fingers and then angle the head unit part way into the opening. Disconnecting was also a pain when I pulled the stock unit because of the short cable length. Just be prepared to apply some patience and thought to the problem.

I will post an update if I find any issues.
Just wanted to share in case there is anyone else who has not yet replaced the stock unit.

Latest posts

Back