automatic transmission problem??

My p5 really scared me this morning after I backed out of my driveway. When i shifted to the drive position it went directly to the techtronic manual position according to the cluster. It would not automatically shift gears as i accelerated. I had to shift away from the automatic drive position to manual to allow my p5 to shift gears.

My p5 is at 58,000 miles and i've done all the normal oil changes and topping off all my fluids. I haven't done the 60k service yet but i wanted to check out if anyone knew what was going on. Thanks in advanced.

whats with everyone having tranny problems lately? i've got an 02 auto p5 with 65k, i'm planning on flushing it very soon, just to prevent any type of problems.

there is a how-to thread about flushing and it doesnt look very hard.

Alanicious said:
My p5 really scared me this morning after I backed out of my driveway. When i shifted to the drive position it went directly to the techtronic manual position according to the cluster. It would not automatically shift gears as i accelerated. I had to shift away from the automatic drive position to manual to allow my p5 to shift gears.

My p5 is at 58,000 miles and i've done all the normal oil changes and topping off all my fluids. I haven't done the 60k service yet but i wanted to check out if anyone knew what was going on. Thanks in advanced.

did you get a cel or blinking od light?

what the? sorry can't help however, please update us if you get this problem solved professionally otherwise i'll check in w/ this thread to see if anyone else has had that problem and have fixed it.

Alanicious said:

I have. right after dealer service to boot. Right after I got the 30k maint done it freaked out ont he way to wirk. btw, this was a week or so after the screw fell into the piston. It stalled that morning...nothing new...then on the 525 leaving Mukilteo, the tranny got stuck. I pulled over and restarted the car and it was fine, but the tranney threw a cel.

ended up being some transmission contoller or something and was promptly replaced. I have had a Ford Contour with double the mileage be more reliable than this thing. I am at 38k miles now.

djp5 said:
whats with everyone having tranny problems lately? i've got an 02 auto p5 with 65k, i'm planning on flushing it very soon, just to prevent any type of problems.

there is a how-to thread about flushing and it doesnt look very hard.

lately? this car has been borderline pos since the first stall. It didn't take 10k miles either.

alarm module
tranny controller
moon roof crooked
rear bumper vibration
multiple alignments
screw fell
stalls...multiples
burning oil now...due to screw im sure.

there is more but can't remember right now. Car will be gone before end of the year. I hear it's harder fopr a dealer to sell a 4 year old car, so might as well dump it while it's 3.5.

Back