Treadlife kumho ecsta

pfive

:
2002 Protege5
I've got kumho ecsta's on my Pfive...can anyone tell me the average treadlife?

im thinking of going to 205's when these burn out, but i would also like to know how much of a hit MPG wise it would give me.

I got 9k from the 16 inch set I had, and 11 from the 17 inch set I had, to be honest I thought they kinda sucked but thats me, I do drive alittle nutty though, but I dont race?autocross or anything, just drive fast, tkae turns hard.

there are several ecstas which ones are you talking about

that's it - dahm. i've been 2500 on my pfive and already see significant tread removal and i dont drive hard.

any recommendations on a tire that has "decent" treadlife - like 50k or so?

I have Ecsta 712 and they have lasted over 15,000 miles so far. and are in good shape, about 60% tread left. Of course, my car is a daily driver and I don't abuse my tires.

ChopstickHero said:
I have Ecsta 712 and they have lasted over 15,000 miles so far. and are in good shape, about 60% tread left. Of course, my car is a daily driver and I don't abuse my tires.

same ones i have...mines a daily driver also, but sumtimes i take turns hard - because I can!

but im debating weather to get all seasons or take the KUMHO's off around winter and slap some snow tires on...whats more cost effective...

Both sets were 711's as I recall, I am 99% sure thats what they were, on a isde note I had Kumdo's ASX or something like that on my my 16s when I sold them and they were at about 5k miles and had about 60% treadleft. I have Nitto Neo Gens now I have put about 5-6k on them and they still look new pretty much. 1200 of those mile have needed and alignment, because I put on Tokicos and Msp springs

Last edited:
pfive said:
same ones i have...mines a daily driver also, but sumtimes i take turns hard - because I can!

but im debating weather to get all seasons or take the KUMHO's off around winter and slap some snow tires on...whats more cost effective...
If you want longer tread life, you're going to have to look at a different type of tire. Something like a high performance all season instead of a high performance summer tire.

pfive said:
I've got kumho ecsta's on my Pfive...can anyone tell me the average treadlife?

im thinking of going to 205's when these burn out, but i would also like to know how much of a hit MPG wise it would give me.

I got 22k miles on my stock rims. That's just daily driving, no racing. Stock Dunlops lasted me 43k.

Kumho Ecsta uses a soft rubber compound. It has good dry and wet performance and is a little quieter (due to softer compound). But softer compounds will get eaten up quicker (especially if you don't regularly check psi). Plus methinks that driving on asphalt eats them up quicker as opposed to concrete. But that's just my opinion. Thankfully Kumhos don't cost alot so you can afford to replace them more often. So you can spend alot on a tire that will last longer and be a little louder or spend a little on tires that last a shorter amount of time. Either way you're spending about the same amount of money. I personally choose the quieter tire.

my ykokhama avs es 100's lasted 24K miles, bald. kumho Ecstas, after figuringout now many miles, I got 11K on them now, they are like new.

rjmhotrod said:
Kumho Ecsta uses a soft rubber compound. It has good dry and wet performance and is a little quieter (due to softer compound). But softer compounds will get eaten up quicker (especially if you don't regularly check psi). Plus methinks that driving on asphalt eats them up quicker as opposed to concrete. But that's just my opinion. Thankfully Kumhos don't cost alot so you can afford to replace them more often. So you can spend alot on a tire that will last longer and be a little louder or spend a little on tires that last a shorter amount of time. Either way you're spending about the same amount of money. I personally choose the quieter tire.
Performance tires are louder than regular A/S tires because of stiffer construction and grippyer (is that a word? haha) compound.

Also, you're right about getting less mileage out of tires on asphalt, it has a higher coefficient of friction compared to concrete.

yeah i dunno what it is but my kumho's haven't lasted worth poop. (but then again i do autox so what can i expect)
i don't think its so much that the tires are all that soft, but rather that the sidewalls are rather flexible. makes em roll easier in autox i think. thats why i'm gettin crazy amounts of wear on the outer part of my front tires

You ought to check out the Hankook Ventus V4's... they have a treadwear rating of 420!!! I've had mine a little over 6 months and they look like they're brand new. I've got the 205/50-16's. A little taller than the stock 195's, but not much at all. Defiantely a bit of a smoother ride with them also, and very quiet.

BTW, check out this tire size calculator to compare tire size differences, if you havn't seen it yet. It's java, so it takes a sec to load.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Last edited:
im going to shop around. can someone give me an idea of what kind of MPG hit i'd take if i went to 205's?

pfive said:
im going to shop around. can someone give me an idea of what kind of MPG hit i'd take if i went to 205's?

The difference between a 205 and a 195 is negilible. Your driving style is going to have a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH larger impact on your mileage than a set of marginally larger tires.

Mmmmmken said:
You ought to check out the Hankook Ventus V4's... they have a treadwear rating of 420!!! I've had mine a little over 6 months and they look like they're brand new. I've got the 205/50-16's. A little taller than the stock 195's, but not much at all. Defiantely a bit of a smoother ride with them also, and very quiet.
One thing to keep in mind, the treadwear ratings are not an industry standard. The tread wear rating is a number made up by the manufacture, they are all relatively close to each other, but like I said it's not an industry standard.

That being said, you're not going to go out and find a max performance summer tire with a wear rating of 480 or something else wildly inaccurate.

I concur... the Venteus V4 is considered an all season tire.
.paul said:
One thing to keep in mind, the treadwear ratings are not an industry standard. The tread wear rating is a number made up by the manufacture, they are all relatively close to each other, but like I said it's not an industry standard.

That being said, you're not going to go out and find a max performance summer tire with a wear rating of 480 or something else wildly inaccurate.

this is the most retarded thread i've ever seen on this forum! if you're going to ask about tires, dont just say kumho ecsta or bridgestone potenzas, theres a million different types of each!

Back