a new hood

susamafone

lil' red
:
Red '03.5 Protege5
my car was recently damaged in a hail storm. i had the damaged apraised today and the insurance agent said that i would need a new hood, but that the estimate was for a "competitive" (sp?) hood. basically a knock off. ive been doing some research and the best ive found for a stock replacement hood is 321 from onlinemazdaparts. obviously, that hood would need to be repainted. i was wondering if i should go ahead and just settle with a "competitive" hood, or if i should request that the body shop order one from mazda, or from that website, or, should i upgrade to a carbon fiber hood and pay the differance.

(edit) the estimated cost of a knock off hood is 401.70 for the hood plus an extra 122.40 for the painting. grand total of 524.10. cant i get a carbon fiber hood and ship it for less than that? i would want to paint it (the carbon fiber hood), but i wouldnt mind holding off on that til i save up some money to paint it. thoughts....

Last edited:
I would definitely fight to get them to pay for an oem hood! They just want you to choose the cheaper so they don't have to pay out as much money which is :bs: After that then you can decide whether to stay oem or pay the diff for the cf.

just get the cash payout for the hood portion of the repair bill and apply whatever you get to a CF hood.

ive been looking at cf hoods online. ive been thinking, since i need a new hood anyway, why cant i just get the body shop to order a cf hood? its a replacement hood. thats what i have an estimate for, a replacement hood. plus, the prices ive found are pretty much equal or about 50 bucks more than some knock off hood. anyone actually have experience in dealing with something like this?

Freaking insurance companies suck ass. You pay every month for a policy (on time) or they will drop you like a hot potato. BUT when it comes time for a claim....."well sir we would like you to buy second rate s***, how does that sound"? Well Mr. Insurance guy how about you bend over and let me stick this hood up your ass. I'm sorry but I'm pissed!
I also have hail damage. I got 3 quotes before the adjuster came out to look at my car.
Quote#1 $2,385
Quote#2 $2,650
Quote#3 $2,525
Consistent right? Well I get my check from my insurance company and guess what......check payable to me for a whopping $1,250 (I have a $500 deductible). So I call them today and they don't want to hear what I'm saying. I faxed the quotes and everything! FUCKERS!

Good luck w/ your hood....I'm going home for a stiff drink.

susamafone said:
ive been looking at cf hoods online. ive been thinking, since i need a new hood anyway, why cant i just get the body shop to order a cf hood? its a replacement hood. thats what i have an estimate for, a replacement hood. plus, the prices ive found are pretty much equal or about 50 bucks more than some knock off hood. anyone actually have experience in dealing with something like this?

Easy.....the insurance company sends you a check for the damages they figure minus your deductible. This is the point where you get screwed. You have to really watch them. Make sure before they send you the check you ask your claims agent how much and be prepared to prove how much the actual damage is. You do what you want w/ the check they send you.

HAHA oh man this thread made me LOL b/c a member just recently was giving his hood away and no one would take it and he said "i know that as soon as i throw it out someone will be wanting a hood"

Yeah I saw that but he wasnt willing to ship only pickup. I dunno the drive may have been worth it for this guy.

I'ts freaking red carbon fiber too. Susamafone you need to do it. Then post up some pics for your fellow red owners. Do it! I dare you.

yeah, ive been watching that one, but i dont think i can manage enough money quickly enough to ship a hood from hawaii to texas :(

Back