going from regular to synthetic

pfive

:
2002 Protege5
i'm coming up on my first oil change since buying my pfive (can you believe almost 2200 miles in one month!) i know the used car dealer i bought it from use the regular oil, but i want to switch over to the synthetic type.

I have heard that you have to do it little by little, like 4 qts regular, 1 synth, then 3 qts reg and 2 synth, etc etc. This is what my brother did with his 2 RX7's.

has anyone gone cold turkey from one to the other?

pfive said:
i'm coming up on my first oil change since buying my pfive (can you believe almost 2200 miles in one month!) i know the used car dealer i bought it from use the regular oil, but i want to switch over to the synthetic type.

I have heard that you have to do it little by little, like 4 qts regular, 1 synth, then 3 qts reg and 2 synth, etc etc. This is what my brother did with his 2 RX7's.

has anyone gone cold turkey from one to the other?

Yeah. i've never heard of people blending it to do the switch. How many miles on the P5? I have heard people say stuff about being careful switching on a high mileage car because the detergents might clean up some gunk that is holding the car together and cause leaks.

what about 137000 is this high mileage? can i switch to synthetic is it gonna be better for it

what about 137000 is this high mileage? can i switch to synthetic is it gonna be better for it

hey,

you are supposed to do a flush and then switch. Regular oil and synthetic oil are not compatible. They don't work well together. Get as much of the old oil out and fill up with synthetic. They have high mileage synthetics if you are worried about changing.

Matt

When I make the switch, I usually buy a snyth. blend oil, run that for 3-5k miles, then switch over to full synth. I also run a quart of clean oil thru the engine to "flush" the old oil out, then put the drain plug back in a fill 'er up w/the new fresh oil. It's probably over kill, but I have also heard that dino and synth. don't mix well. Just my 2 cents.

I have heard that 85K miles was the cuttoff to change over, but I do not have that confirmed. I switched to synth straight over at 30K miles. Amsoil in the transmission, mobile1 in the engine. I just changed engine oil at 45K miles, trying out Royal Purple's synthetic. I noticed my car is quieter engine noise-wise, but get the same mileage, 33 freeway, 27 in crap traffic.

i made the switch from regular oil to a synthetic blend at 24K. i just drained the old stuff and filled it up with the blend. i havent had any problems. i would have gone full synthetic but it was a little more than i wanted to spend.

I've never heard of flushing or any other wacky procedures when changing to synthetic. I put Mobil1 in my P5 and all my other cars on their first change.

i put synth in my wifes maxima w/o this process and there were no problems. i just wanted to double check regarding the P5

From the Valvoline SynPower page..

What are the benefits SynPower delivers over conventional motor oils?
Compared to conventional motor oil, SynPower full synthetic motor oil offers easier cold starting, quicker flow upon engine start-up, quicker heat dissipation and better high-temperature properties.

Can I extend my drain interval if i use SynPower? How often do I need to change my oil when i use SynPower? If I can't go longer on oil changes, then what's the advantage?
Although it is true that synthetic oils can hold up for longer periods of time, the additives will still eventually wear out and the oil will become dirty with engine contaminants. Following the recommended change intervals for oil and filter outlined in your car's owners' manual with SynPower Motor Oil, will result in a clean engine and help combat engine wear which ultimately will help keep your engine running better longer.

Is it okay to mix synthetics and conventional oils?
Some of the first synthetics offered were formulated with high levels of ester that were incompatible with conventional oils. Today's modern synthetics are designed to be compatible with these conventional mineral oils. So, if you have synthetic oil in your car and would like to top-off with conventional oil, that's okay. SynPower is fully compatible with all conventional motor oils, as well as other leading synthetic oils.

Is SynPower a full synthetic? Is SynPower motor oil PAO or ester based? Does it require a special filter?
Yes, SynPower is 100% synthetic. Synpower uses a proprietary combination of various types of synthetic base oils to obtain optimum performance.
No, a special oil filter is not required with Synpower.

Can I use SynPower motor oil with alcohol/ethanol fuels?
Yes, SynPower can be used in fuels containing alcohols.

Is SynPower motor oil okay for my diesel truck?
Valvoline SynPower is designed for use in light duty gasoline trucks, as well as gasoline and diesel passenger vehicles. Diesel engines in trucks require API CG-4/CH-4 type oil. For premium performance, Valvoline Premium Blue 2000 would be recommended.

Can I use SynPower motor oil in my motorcycle that has a wet clutch?
No. SynPower is a highly friction modified oil and is not designed for wet clutches.

Does SynPower motor oil contain Teflon?
No.

Can I use SynPower in an older vehicle?
Yes. SynPower has been tested with various seal materials by meeting API SL/SJ and preceding categories recommended for older vehicles. Or yes, SynPower has a proper balance of synthetic base oils in formula not to be harmful to seals or gaskets in pre-1980 vehicles.

Once I switch to synthetics, can I ever switch back to conventional or synthetic blend oils?
Yes.

I have never seen so much misinformation flying around compared to people paranoid about using a synthetic oil!

OIL_1_AD.jpg

Back