Low beam head lights on a 02 Protege 5 - Bulb Problem

Splash-X

:
02 Mazda P5
Help! I think I may be going crazy. I bought a new set of high and low beams for my P5 off eBay. I put in the high beams with no problem. I got to the low beams and pulled them out to put the new ones in and wouldn't you know, the old bulbs are NOT H7. I went to Auto Zone and Murrays and even used the bulb selector in the store and everywhere says H7. I checked online and its the same thing.

To make matters worse, I can't even find the old bulbs in the store. They are like a 9003 but with only two prongs instead of three. So I bought these because the harness does have a third slot. I get them home to find that the 9003 are a bit bigger at the base so they don't fit in to the headlight properly. I was able to get them in but I can't help but feel that something is wrong. I pulled them out and put the old bulbs back in (they still work.... for now).

Anyone? Please help! Perhaps the pervious owner decided to change the plugs?

are you removing the bulb from the black adapter housing that comes out as one piece when you remove the bulb?

(peep) I should hide my face and die! I didn't even think that the black base came off. I even did a search but didn't see anyone mention that black housing. If only the car came with an owners manual :(

Thanks for the smack! I needed it.

yeah, I did the same thing. Tried putting them in w/out the adapter and couldn't figure out why it didn't fit. Silly Mazda...

No, you really should smack me for being such a idot!

Do you think that the lights over seas are different and over there there is a bulb that doesnt need the adapter and thats why over here we have one?

It seems like a stuipd thing to do instead of putting the correct size plug on it.

Splash-X said:
I didn't even think that the black base came off. I even did a search but didn't see anyone mention that black housing. If only the car came with an owners manual :(

It wouldn't have been any help. The 2003 owner's manual does not mention any type of adapter. In the picture on page 8-32 it shows what appears to be just the bulb. The adapter that is apparently also present in the picture is not described. The specifications just say to use a 55W bulb but it doesn't specify a bulb type.

My right beam has been out of focus since I bought the car so today I took that bulb out to see why. One glance and it was clear that the bulb was not in correctly since the white socket was rotated 30 degrees from vertical. Anyway, long story short, the $&($#&$(# retaining clip was bent, so the bulb was loose and had rotated in the socket. It took half an hour to bend the clip back into roughly the right shape. It would have been easier if I could have pulled the clip out to work on it, but what with the washer filler tube being in the way that wasn't going to happen. Certainly not worth taking apart the bumper to pull the passenger side headlight assembly.

I also took apart the driver's side headlight for comparison. The parts are, front to back:

1. headlight assembly
2. bulb (insert with tab UP)
3. adapter (apparently)
4. bulb retaining clip
5. rubber sealing cover (insert with arrow UP)
6. white bulb socket

The adapter just looks like part of the bulb to me too.

Ha, dont feel bad about it, I think every protege owner has done it. Seriously took me 15 mins to figure out why the new bulbs werent fittin right haha

Your actually nothat bad off. I remember awhile back there was someone who did the same thing but he had already threw away the black piece before he asked on the forums.

Im certainly guilty of that. Being only familiar with 9006 size bulbs. I sat there for like 10minutes wondering what the hell i did wrong and why wouldnt the bulb stay in place. I think its a right of passage.

MP5_509 said:
I think its a right of passage.

It shouldn't be with the manual in hand, but the manual says nothing about the adapter. Maybe they sell these bulbs in Japan with the adapter already on them?

if i remember correctly the japanese model, the sport20 has different headlights that dont require the adapter.

Hi everybody, I'm one of those idiots that threw away the black adapter housing a few months ago to replace w/ a P O S headlight I bought that is now burnt out. Now I've got SilverStar's that I want to put in and I'm going to need to get a new adapter to make them fit. Should Autozone or anywhere online have them? I don't really want to go to the dealer, and I've been trying to look online for them and haven't found anything but I'm not even sure what they would technically be called. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

veldy said:
Hi everybody, I'm one of those idiots that threw away the black adapter housing a few months ago to replace w/ a P O S headlight I bought that is now burnt out. Now I've got SilverStar's that I want to put in and I'm going to need to get a new adapter to make them fit. Should Autozone or anywhere online have them? I don't really want to go to the dealer, and I've been trying to look online for them and haven't found anything but I'm not even sure what they would technically be called. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oh yeah I have a 03 p5 if it makes any difference.

I had to dig in the dumpster to get my old bulbs (and adapters) back. On the JDM there is no need for the adapter, but american companies don't make that style for whatever reason. I saved $36 by diving in the bin, but the passenger side burnt out again. Damn big hands. They said I should be using bulb grease and now I have another twin pack for when the next Silverstar burns out. Probably within two months.

Back