shifting - reving

Dark_Phantom said:
I am going to put down the Ignorance Card on this one and ask what you guys are talking about. Powershifting? Dumping the clutch ( is it the same as "popping" the clutch?)? Throttle shift? I guess I'm not hip in the new terminology.
S'all gravy homie. Perhaps I can shed some light on everything for ya.

Dumping the clutch (a.k.a. popping the clutch): rev your car up to desired engine speed, side step the clutch. I didn't say slowly release or try to modulate the clutch release, I mean completely side step it. The idea is to launch with the maximum amount of horsepower, but not enough to turn your tires into smoke. This is another drag racing technique.

Throttle shifting: never heard of it.

Last edited:
Okay, I got you now. Thanks Paul. I've actually "powershifted" before, but I always thought it was "double-clutching." Either way, not something I've seen much benefit in... I never personally thought it took that much time to depress and release the clutch in there when racing, and it certainly seems to be healthier for the transmission. Just me, maybe, I don't know.

Um thats not power shifting.

Powershifting is keeping your gas pedal planted hitting the clutch and changing gears then disengaging the clutch all with your gas pedal planted,

AS SEEN HERE

pshiftgraphic1ug.gif

Powershifting: keep the accelator pedal planted, and stab the clutch while throwing the stick in gear. Refresh your browser to watch it in action!

Rac3rX said:
Um thats not power shifting.

Powershifting: keep the accelator pedal planted, and stab the clutch while throwing the stick in gear. Refresh your browser to watch it in action!
I stand corrected.

Thank you for that. I was taught that powershifting was what I explained before.

Keeping the accelerator planted while you shift, eh... Not to suggest that the other techniques discussed thus far would do any less, but it seems as though powershifting would lead to all sorts of problems.

Throttle shifting, as mentioned before, is not power shifting. You let off the throttle, but not all the way, so the revs don't drop quite as fast. I just shift fast, personally. When I shift at about 6.5-7k RPM (I have an EMS, wouldn't suggest it otherwise), and usually only let it drop about 500 rpm between shifts, if that. With a lightweight clutch and flywheel, no less. This can sometimes cause a bit of a jerk, but if you shift at just the right speed, in other words, as fast as the car wants to be, you can get a nice, smooth transition while shifting very quickly. When downshifting, always rev match, I would suggest. When stopping, do the same, each gear, using heel-toe (or in my case, right/left side of my foot), and keep the gears going using that technique. It's a habit I formed long, long ago, and my clutch, flywheel, and tranny are all perfectly happy with me, even when I want to romp on it. =) And that's with 100k on 'em all.

Back