shifting - reving

aMaff said:
I don't get it...I think you're thinking of double clutching.
Ya not granny shifting and double clutching like ya should, ya neva had me - ya neva had ya kaaa
aa062201d.jpg

(smash) sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Last edited:
.paul said:
Ya not granny shifting and double clutching like ya should, ya neva had me - ya neva had ya kaaa
aa062201d.jpg

(smash) sorry, I couldn't help myself.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
TFATF_Vtec_ownz.JPG

Little off topic.....

When sitting at redlights, etc.. do you guy's keep car infirst and just keep clutch pressed in...or do you put your car in neutral an just use brake?

Boston5761 said:
Little off topic.....
heh, yep.
Boston5761 said:
When sitting at redlights, etc.. do you guy's keep car infirst and just keep clutch pressed in...or do you put your car in neutral an just use brake?
neutral. Because, at least for me, after a little bit my leg'll start letting up on the clutch (w/o me noticing), causing more wear on the clutch and the throwout bearing. Put it in neutral and watch the lights, it works for me.

Leave it in neutral and foot off the clutch. If there is no grade and the car doesn't start rolling, I prolly won't press the brakes unless there is traffic coming up to me.

silver03p5 said:
wow...did your p5 come with the v8 option Dark Phantom?

No. I should have put "muscle car" in quotes, because I was being sarcastic. I'm not talking like Corvettes or Vipers... I live in Kansas City, not California. For some reason around here, there are a lot of douchebags who think they have a fast car when they don't, particularly individuals who drive Mustangs... Most of the time (the exception being when they have a v-8) I can look over at a light and if they have both hands on the wheel instead of one on a shifter, I've already won.

As far as at a light, depending on how lazy I am, I typically just leave it in first unless I know it's a long light, or I am a few cars back from it. I have the seat scooted forward enough that it's not a far stretch to keep the clutch down.

Boston5761 When sitting at redlights said:
leave in N and and leave clutch fully engaged! pissed me off when people drive my car and leave it in gear with clutch in sitting at red lights......

i just watch the lights.......

-R

Protege52003 said:
leave in N and and leave clutch fully engaged! pissed me off when people drive my car and leave it in gear with clutch in sitting at red lights......

i just watch the lights.......

-R
my zoom doesn't like other people driving my car (shady)

If you loath your transmission you'll powershift. I have ill skills so I don't powershift, I just shift very quickly and not miss gears because I rock socks...now if I could only get a short shifter I could shift even quicker.

.paul said:
If you loath your transmission you'll powershift. I have ill skills so I don't powershift, I just shift very quickly and not miss gears because I rock socks...now if I could only get a short shifter I could shift even quicker.

I havnt done it myself. Im quite proud of my shift speed (10:16 in the 1/8 with only a intake and exhaust) Dumping the clutch at launch & with no powershifts.

I just watched this show on Speed where they did some 1/4 comparisons, and he was powershifting each car.

If somebody knows how to powershift properly shouldnt you be able to get a faster 1/4 time then if you off throttle shift?

And has Anybody Powershifted there Protege at the track and compared runs to reguler shifting?

I am going to put down the Ignorance Card on this one and ask what you guys are talking about. Powershifting? Dumping the clutch ( is it the same as "popping" the clutch?)? Throttle shift? I guess I'm not hip in the new terminology.

I shift at 7k quite frequently, but try to keep it below 5500RPMs when others are in the car. I can't do that whole "always shift at 2500rpms" crap. I tried but the car just doesn't get moving quickly enough. I'll shift out of 1st at 3k and 2nd at 4k and then shift at 3k for the rest when I'm driving lightly and seeing if I can get some decent gas mileage numbers.

7k?! Isn't that a bit much. I mean you start losing power around like 6k, especially in first. I try to shift between 5 and a half and 6. 7 sounds a little like overkill to me.

Red5_02 said:
7k?! Isn't that a bit much. I mean you start losing power around like 6k, especially in first. I try to shift between 5 and a half and 6. 7 sounds a little like overkill to me.

Yeah but then I shift and I'm right near peak power again. If I shifted at 5k it would take a bit longer to get back to peak power. Plus, last I checked the power doesn't just die right after our peak HP. I should really dyno my car :p

True but the power doesn't keep rising either. Guess it really doesn't matter. You got balls though.

ok sure

I don't know why everyone likes them so much, it's not like they are pricey or anything. Just simple gunmetal wheels with a chrome lip on the inside instead of the outside. They are modeled after the Yokohama Advan Kreuzer Vs but you can get all 4 shipped for less than the price of one Advan wheel.

got them off wheelmax.com

i shift between 3 and 4k now that i have a tach... when i drive hard i shift at 5 sometimes but I like to keep my rpm's down

Back