shifting - reving

Josh_160

:
Audi A4 1.8TQ
what rpm does everyone shift at?? and how bad is it, or is it bad to shift at 5500 rpm with mp5?? haha

I shift at 3 or 4k usually.. what kinda gas mileage are you getting?

Depends on my mood. I would say a low avg. of 5500- but I drive like I am racing constantly. It is just so fun to drive a P5!

As far as is it bad- well, higher rev means more stress... that is pretty obvious. Just be sure to use quality synthetic oil, and do consistant oil changes. I also upgraded to RedLine Tranny fluid.

By the way- i tried once shifting at 3000 and keeping it under 65miles at all times (i did a lot of highway driving at the time- now it is all city driving). My mileage was only 2mpg better. So choice is yours- drive your car how you want, and have fun. Or drive like a grandma, be bored out of your mind and asve a couple pints... Choice was clear for me...

i shift at about 2800-3500 depending on my mood. sometimes (like this morning) i was merging onto the highway in 2nd at like 5500 around the ramp turn and it was totally insane! im getting about 28 mpg (80 hwy/20 stop n go)

I granny the hell out of it. I shift usually at 2500rpm in 1st-4th and mostly 2000rpm in 5th. I know but the mileage is worth it. I get around 27mpg city and I really haven't done much highway but from what I have its around 33mpg.

wildo said:
My downshift revs are at 4000. I practice heel and toe shifting
heheh, yep, I'm about the same. I usually blip to 4000, unless I'm doing 3-2. To get that one smooth I've got to hit about 4500. Anyway, to answer your question, depending on how I"m feeling and what's going on road / traffic wise, between 3500 and 5000 (generally right around 4-4.5k tho)

Very VERY rarely will I zing it to red line, and I've never hit the limiter. Our rods are too fragile to do that on a regular basis.

pretty much i shift from 6100-6500 in my msp, unless my mom is in the car, then i shift at 5000 haha

If I'm behind grandma I just shift at 2500. If I've got the open road in front of me I'll shift at 3500. If I'm on the go, I'll shift at 6000 RPM.

vcinsanity1523 said:
normal driving i s*** at about 2800
that's why I use the bathroom before I leave the house...................(rlaugh)

Hahaha.

I totally granny the car too. Usually shift between 2500 and 3000, depends on a lot of factors. If I really need to get going quick, might go up to 4000, but not much higher. I get 29 mpg, still not good, but oh well, I get sorta nervous that im gonna kill something if I shift high, lol.

clicknext said:
Hahaha.

I totally granny the car too. Usually shift between 2500 and 3000, depends on a lot of factors. If I really need to get going quick, might go up to 4000, but not much higher. I get 29 mpg, still not good, but oh well, I get sorta nervous that im gonna kill something if I shift high, lol.

wow did you lose your man card? just playin' man, we need conservative drivers on the road too, its good for the envirnoment, saves you gas money, and it leaves room for us speeders to go around you too

i do 3000 unless i want to let out the turkey, then i really give it a go.probably to around 5000 - 5500 then shift.

PlatinumMSP said:
wow did you lose your man card? just playin' man, we need conservative drivers on the road too, its good for the envirnoment, saves you gas money, and it leaves room for us speeders to go around you too
funny story...I was stuck in traffic behind a C4 vett w/ the t-tops off. Anyway, a pickup truck pulls up besides him and they start talking. Anyway, the semi in front of the vette pulls up a ways and the vets still sitting there and I'm like wtf? So all of a sudden I hear *ROOOOAAAAARRRRRR* *SCCRRREEEEEEEEECH*

Dude did a burnout in the middle of the freeway, it was funny as hell. Did a little tail wag and everything lol

Back