Stereo Installation Headache!

So a few months ago i joined the protege family when i bought an 01 DX im lovin it so far but the only thing is i cant get my HU to mount right and my amp/subs wont work either. i bought a DIN kit from best buy but that didnt really help me much. i just read on here that the metra 99 7505 is the double DIN and that should work to mount my HU so thats not really an issue anymore.
my main issue is my amp. it wont turn on. i know my amp is not the issue since i hooked my boyfriends amp up and his didnt do anything either so its an issue with the wires and the head unit. the battery is hooked up fine and thats alset. the input/output wires are right and so that just leave the remote power wire thats suppose to go from the HU to the amp. i have 2 possible wires the remote power could be hooked up too....one coming off the wireharness itsself and one coming off of the HU. i think i have tryed every single combination of these wires and nothin is working. its really getting to me. if anyone could give me any advice on how to get these remote wires to hook up and hopefully work it would be awesome!
thanks​

Linekekei1117 said:
So a few months ago i joined the protege family when i bought an 01 DX im lovin it so far but the only thing is i cant get my HU to mount right and my amp/subs wont work either. i bought a DIN kit from best buy but that didnt really help me much. i just read on here that the metra 99 7505 is the double DIN and that should work to mount my HU so thats not really an issue anymore.
my main issue is my amp. it wont turn on. i know my amp is not the issue since i hooked my boyfriends amp up and his didnt do anything either so its an issue with the wires and the head unit. the battery is hooked up fine and thats alset. the input/output wires are right and so that just leave the remote power wire thats suppose to go from the HU to the amp. i have 2 possible wires the remote power could be hooked up too....one coming off the wireharness itsself and one coming off of the HU. i think i have tryed every single combination of these wires and nothin is working. its really getting to me. if anyone could give me any advice on how to get these remote wires to hook up and hopefully work it would be awesome!
thanks​

Head Unit Fix: (I'd try the other guys suggestions before you try mine)

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123631570

as far as your amp goes change your grounding spot. pick a significant bolt like a seatbelt bolt and make sure it touches the metal of the car. just jerry rig it till you find where the problem so any significant bolt will do for testing.

on second thought are you trying to power the amp from the head unit?

you need a power connection from the battery and the remote from the head unit. it is a very small amount of power and won't power your amp it just flips a relay in the amp.

There are 5 connections to your amplifier, lets make sure you are clear on all of them.

1) RCA input wires. Connect these to the back of the headunit. I'm sure you've got this right.

2) Speaker wire outputs. Connect these to the speakers/subwoofer. If you have a single subwoofer, you can usually bridge the left and right channels of the amp. See your owners manual for more information.

3) Ground (-). Connect this to the chassis of the car. A seatbelt bolt is a common place to connect it.

4) Power (+12v). Connect this to the positive battery terminal. No excuses, this wire must go from the battery, through the firewall, and to the amp. You need to place a fuse on the wire within 18" of the battery for safety reasons.

5) Remote (rem). AKA Turn-on lead. This connection also requires +12v but it should come from a switching source. On the back of your head unit, there should be at least one of the following wires: a power antenna wire (often blue w/ white stripe) or a remote amp turn on wire (often solid blue). Sometimes they have a fuse in-line so check it to make sure it isn't blown. Using a 14 or 16 gauge wire, connect the the remote terminal on the amp to one of those wires. When you turn the head unit on, the amp's power light should turn on.

If for some reason you are stil having trouble and you aren't sure if the remote wire is the problem there is a quick test you can do. Take a small run of wire and connect the power (+12v) terminal to the remote terminal on the amp. The amp should turn on immediately and you should get sound. Do not leave it like this but at least you will know you are connecting the remote wire to the wrong place on the head unit. If you were to leave this test wire connected, the amp would drain your battery when the car is off.

Back