1996 Mazda MX3 Problem: Hesitation after idle

Ciel

Any help would be so much appreciated! (long story)

I have myself a 1996 MX3. It's been a dream until last week Monday when every so often after it would run idle, (below 1000 rpm) - at stop signs, 4-way stops, red lights, when I'd hit the gas the car would chug slightly forward and stop, I'd tap the gas again and it would move slightly more, then after that hesitation it would move freely and be fine.

I didn't find myself to be safe being honked at by cars at green lights, having to wave guys to go ahead at 4-way stops, going 'oh boy' when I'd have to turn right onto a very busy street or turning left and pray it didn't conk out on me at the wrong moment..

I discussed this with my husband, we didn't think it very serious, maybe water in the gas tank.. we talked to another friend who said maybe it was the spark plugs.

My husband replaced the spark plugs (was very careful about which ones he put in) After he did so, the electric malfunction light came on, and when I drove it, there was a creeking when I turned the wheels.

Dealership: I brought it into the Mazda Dealership, I explained those 2 concerns. Their major concern wasn't even my reason for bringing it in: the radiator fan wasn't working, there was some wiring/corrosion.

The creeking was due to the passenger side strut being broken, they replaced both springs. They had to change my oil and filter due to gas leaking into my oil somehow.

PROBLEM: The dealership gave me back the car, stating there still was 'a brief hesitation' when it went below 100 rpms.. this made me mad, considering that was my main concern. I got it back at dinner traffic, the whole way back to my home was torture, each time it idled, I had that hesitation, I got honked at for not 'going' at the green, my car hesitated at a nasty time on a left turn..

Second Problem: That evening I took the car out for a spin, happy the hubby came along. It drove fine! only a few moments of a very brief hesitation. We hadn't driven it for more than 30 km when travelling back the electrical systems went on it. (cd player conked out, dashboard gages, blinker, lights..) Then a red light. The car made the ultimate hesitation, it puttered, felt like chains were on the tires.. I managed to drive it into a lot and got it towed back to the dealership.

Turns out the alternator went on it. I talked to the services tech, he said that brief hesitation isn't connected to the alternator going. That it's an old car, and I was just going to get into a whole lot more money to find out that problem. When he drove the car he found only a brief hesitation, but it's far worse than that, I could get rear-ended, hit at an intersection, etc.

Any thoughts on the hesitation? sorry about all the type, maybe the other problems are connected still to this problem.

Last edited:
Back