'02 P5 overdrive lockout...

'02Protege5

:
2002 Protege 5
Recently bought my 02 P5, and am absolutly loving it!!! just wondering what the proper operation of the overdrive lockout button on the automatic shifter is. I was told to keep it locked out anytime under like 45 or so, soo like most city driving. However when you start the car its automatically unlocked which makes me think your supposed to leave it unlocked...... any info regarding this would be great!!! or any other general info i should know regarding my P5, i really am brand new to them. thanks!!

Just leave it on, well at least that is what I was told. Hmm... Better shifting and saves gas mileage?

Peace

i use it in 3 situations

-when i'm in OD and want to slow down a bit w/o braking, such as on downhills
-when i'm in OD and i know i want to kick down for more power to make a pass, i'll manually take it off so i can pass faster
-when i'm going uphill and trying to hold a constant speed but the engine cant decide to use 4th or OD, i'll lock out the OD

its a pretty useful little function, although I still wish I had been able to find a stick p5 before i bough my auto.

Yeah, I always leave my OD engaged to. Ran it that way since I got it and now got some 77K on the clock, still going strong.

i kick mine off when i wanna slow down or pass, thats about it, otherwise i just leave it on

Back