02 p5 ate my kumho asx's!

02Protege'5

:
'02 P5
I have a '02 p5, just under 50k miles, got 4 new kumho ecsta asx's before x-mas, roughtly 17 k miles ago. Had it alighned after I got em, and again after I had to replace a stud the installer snapped off mounting my tires. Went on a 3k mile road trip after that, rotated them right before, but didnt rotate them afterwards. Now my front tires have a groove wore in them on the inside of both, one went flat becasue of it. I just ordered two new kumho 711's off tire rack, when I get them in im going to have the car re-aligned, I live on dirt roads of PA (read as crappiest roads in the world), and paved roads of pa are known for their crappyness as well. I guess my question is, is it safe to run my asx's on the back and my 711's on the front, how often should i rotate my tires. My rear tires, wich were originally on the front are in beautiful shape, the front tires are wasted hence the replacements.

the car may not handle correctly..mis-matching 'sporty' tires is usually a no-no...try it and see..
I have stock size 711's and love em..about 15k so far...
had a prob with the pass. front..same prob. as you..hopefully it's not a Kumo thing....
I live in Phoenix, so the hot weather hasn't done to much to them..the little rain we get ,the tires perform well..

redsand71 said:
the car may not handle correctly..mis-matching 'sporty' tires is usually a no-no...try it and see..

Yeah I know how that goes. I have 3 Kumho Ecsta MX tires (almost completely worn down) and 1 Ecsta ASX (with like 1k miles on it maybe). I had a blowout with the MX but needed to drive to Connecticut the next day so I had no choice but to take what the tire shop had in stock (a single Kumho Ecsta ASX for 195 dollars mounted and balanced.. ARGH!). It's on my passenger side rear right now and I can make the back end come around easily taking left turns, but not right turns when the weight it on the MXs.

it sucks.

i had that problem with my kumho's...had my car aligned a few times...i think once they get KINDA wore down the inside edge goes to s***.... same exact problem as you.

It isn't a brand issue. Uneven tire wear is either caused by impoper inflation or bad alignment. I've used kumho tires for a long time and I've never had a problem.

Does anyone know the proper mounting technique for an asymetrical tread design? I'll take a pic of how my asx's are mounted on my rims. From what I've read the larger blocks on an asymetrical tire need to be to the outside, and the smaller block on the inside, but there arent really "blocks" on the asx as "blocks" are defined by the guide I was reading.

My inflation is correct @ 32psi, and my alignemt has been checked often. I'm at a loss, does anyone have any experience with Sears alignments?

02Protege'5 said:
My inflation is correct @ 32psi, and my alignemt has been checked often. I'm at a loss, does anyone have any experience with Sears alignments?

sears has always done alignments on my cars (past and present):

91 monaco
2001 focus
2000 Cherokee
1997 Maxima

and they do a good job and probobly the most bang for the buck. dealerships charge more - for convenience mostly.

i've got the same KUMHO's so i best take care of them!

pfive said:
sears has always done alignments on my cars (past and present):

91 monaco
2001 focus
2000 Cherokee
1997 Maxima

and they do a good job and probobly the most bang for the buck. dealerships charge more - for convenience mostly.

i've got the same KUMHO's so i best take care of them!

They won't care if the car has quite a few aftermarket suspension parts?

I bought my car at 38k and it had ASXs on it (about 1.5 years ago). I ran some different wheels for the summer, but other than that I've had the ASXs on. I'm now almosm to 56k and the ASXs are fine.

cheapmiata1600 said:
It isn't a brand issue. Uneven tire wear is either caused by impoper inflation or bad alignment. I've used kumho tires for a long time and I've never had a problem.

Or poorly designed tires...or poorly built tires, which can explain why some people have no problems, but others have them.

djp5 said:
Or poorly designed tires...or poorly built tires, which can explain why some people have no problems, but others have them.

I only put like 5-6k miles on my MXs before I lowered my car and got an alignment done, but from what I had noticed they seemed to be wearing evenly at that point.

Understand you bought a street tire designed for autocross. Many of them have multiple types of compounds on them. Depending on the tread depth people shave them so they have a stiff tread from shaving and a sticky compound below 4/32nds tread depth. You take all you can get in the ST classes. Having poor alignment when you hit that compound might have exasperated the problem.

I had the same problem with my Kumho ASXs and I only use them in the winter! I think it is an issue with that particular model of tire, not the brand.

melicha8 said:
Understand you bought a street tire designed for autocross. Many of them have multiple types of compounds on them. Depending on the tread depth people shave them so they have a stiff tread from shaving and a sticky compound below 4/32nds tread depth. You take all you can get in the ST classes. Having poor alignment when you hit that compound might have exasperated the problem.

eh? the asx are a street tire designed for auto cross? I thought they were a street tire designed to handle adverse road conditions....

02Protege'5 said:
eh? the asx are a street tire designed for auto cross? I thought they were a street tire designed to handle adverse road conditions....

he was talking about the MX there.

Back