Larger oil filter = problem?

prix

So I have a protege5 and have been using synthentic oil since about 1000 miles (broke it in on regular stuff so it wore in right). For about 12k miles I have been using the slightly larger V6 626 filter. A few days ago I was at the dealership and the tech guy said that the larger one's have different pressure valves(?) or something and I was just wondering if this could pose a problem?

The main reason I have been using the larger filters is so I can get a just a little more oil in my car because i get tired of tossing a tiny amount in the last quart away.

Thanks for any advice or insight.

nope... it has the same s***

in fact, my local dealer here installs the V6 s*** whenever they could on ALL the cars that come in

Thats what i figured, I don't know why they would have some kind of different valve or some thing, seems stupid to me.

I noticed this as well. they way I understand it, this valve allows oil to bypass the filter under certain conditions. 626's came with the 2.0, so how much of an issue could this be?

Edit: TheMan beat me to it (burnout) and the specs I am refereing to are on MobilOne filters not Mazda filters.

Last edited:
Captain, do you have the part # for that? What is the largest oil filter that will fit on our 2.0 P5's weedwhacker? It should probably be a part of a sticky of some sort, sorry for being n00bish.

prix said:
The main reason I have been using the larger filters is so I can get a just a little more oil in my car because i get tired of tossing a tiny amount in the last quart away.

good point here......i uaually just save it in the back of my car in case i ever need it! you figure they would have the engine hold even quarts to fill an engine, not 3.7; go mazda!

-R

"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty Rods to the Hog's Head and thats the way I likes it!" - Abe Simpson

But really I want to put a bigger filter on next oil change. Any help for a n00b? Could we make a sticky thread for this kind of basic knowledge? (ughdance)

i know of many people who have done it and have had no trouble. i think it is fine and should not hurt/harm the engine!

buttthrax said:
Captain, do you have the part # for that? What is the largest oil filter that will fit on our 2.0 P5's weedwhacker? It should probably be a part of a sticky of some sort, sorry for being n00bish.

JEY0-14-302-9A is the filter. part number for the crush gasket for the oil pan drain plug is 9956-41-400. i personally replace the crush gasket at every change.

I just run the K&N HP-1004. It's rather hefty, and although not the aboslute biggest, it's the second best. (Second to Mobil1 Filters)

Maxx Mazda said:
I just run the K&N HP-1004. It's rather hefty, and although not the aboslute biggest, it's the second best. (Second to Mobil1 Filters)

i have used that filter on my rx7

I run the mobile1 626 filter. In mobile 1 terms the 108 os the Protege filter and the 110 is the 626 filter ( for the n00bs)

I can't see what problems having a bigger filter would pose assuming it has the same micron rating. In fact, it would be my belief that it might help the efficiency of the engine with it being bigger (the bigger filter likely having larger holes for the oil to pass through). The only problem I would foresee is if you were putting in the same amount of oil you did with the smaller filter, which would obviously result in a pressure issue... Since the whole point is for you to add more oil, I don't see what the problem it would cause. If my reasoning is flawed, please let me know, seriously. I always like to learn a bit more about the internal combustion engine.

Your reasoning is flawed, yes. Less oil will not mean a drop in pressure (up to a certain point.) If the oil pump is getting oil period, whether it be a small biut, or alot, it will still be making constant pressure provided that the pickup is submerged. You will need a bit more oil with the bigger filter, but that's why you check it and top it off on level ground, after a change.

Back