Strange Noise in my Rear End

LOL. Ok...this is for real. I noticed this a few months ago (December or so). When you take a turn there seems to be a strange noise taht is coming from the rear end. It kinda sounds like a spring going (for lack of a better descriptve term) boing; or how ever in the hell you spell it. The noise has gotten a lot more noticable. The Mazda dealership said they can't find anything wrong; but i know that healthy cars don;t make ANY noise. Anyone else out there got this same problem.

I get this too. When I turn and there is a dip or something. I think the body welds are coming apart or something. It sounds like its the rear deck.

definatly sounds lik the same problem to me. I'm in Cali right now and not able to take it up with the dealership directly. It kinda makes me mad that a new problem has sprung up and now the dealership is taking the stance of "Well we can;t find it so it must not be a real problem." Thats ok...my next cll will be to MazdaUSA!!

I bought mine four days ago, and I have exactly same sound like yours. How did you manage to fix it?

It's just the springs doing their job. My Jetta also had the same issue and my 5 does it when I back out of my driveway. They just sometimes squeak or rub as the weight changes and their are compressed. I'm not concerned.

I also have the same BOIG sound from the rear suspension in addition to the universal front suspension noise.
This, coupled with some other ''normal issues'' according to the dealer will soon call the end of the Mazda 5 ownership for me.

Weak A/C: Normal according to the dealer
Abnormally high wind noise around the windshield/wipers at highway speeds. Normal according to the dealer
Freezing rear door latches in the winter time: Normal according to the dealer.
7, yes 7 headlight bulbs burned in 6 weeks...4 on the left side, 3 on the right side: Nothing wrong according to the dealer.
Rattles from different sources: Normal according to the dealer.
Still waiting for my warranty card....after owning the car for 7 months. It's coming according to the dealer.
This car has one of the best design, which prompted me to buy, but one of the worst execution I have seen in a long time.
Once again, we get what we pay for.
Cheap to buy and built cheap.

Hughes412 said:
I get this too. When I turn and there is a dip or something. I think the body welds are coming apart or something. It sounds like its the rear deck.

Except you guys have two different cars.

jackd said:
This car has one of the best design, which prompted me to buy, but one of the worst execution I have seen in a long time.

I will reserve judgement until I get a few more miles on my 5. BTW, the HUMMER and Land Rover brands, which are quite expensive to buy, have horrible reliability records. Not to mention Mercedes Benz, as a whole, is not as reliable as most of the Japanese brands. Hell, its not even as reliable as Hyundai, according to the latest reports.

To get back on topic, I do notice rear suspension noise going over speed bumps. Not sure whether it is the bushings or springs.

Last edited:
"Strange Noise in my Rear End"

am i the only one that finds this title hilarious? LOL .... :D

jackd said:
I also have the same BOIG sound from the rear suspension in addition to the universal front suspension noise.
This, coupled with some other ''normal issues'' according to the dealer will soon call the end of the Mazda 5 ownership for me.

Abnormally high wind noise around the windshield/wipers at highway speeds. Normal according to the dealer
7, yes 7 headlight bulbs burned in 6 weeks...4 on the left side, 3 on the right side: Nothing wrong according to the dealer.
Still waiting for my warranty card....after owning the car for 7 months. It's coming according to the dealer.

Sounds liek your problem is more with the dealer than the car. Find another dealer and get them to fix it. DOn't give up on the car. Everything has small defects, sounds like your has a few more than normal. Mine had a few annoyimng defects that were resolved quickly by the dealer. I would call Mazda USA and complain about your dealer. Dealers hate this since it affects their overall standing with Mazda. Personally I couldn't ask more form my dealer. They have been absolutely first class.

thread title reads... "strange noise in my rear end"

lmao.... dude turn your vibe off... and take it our your ass!!!

sorry i couldnt resist!

Hughes412 said:

yeah the body welds of your cheeks are comming apart....damn rear deck....what lands there anyways?

jackd said:

I'd go to another dealer. If the 5 was truly as problematic as yours would you not think to read more complaints as yours? I have none of your issues and yes I am thankful at the value for the 5 because it is cheap but executed extremely well all things considered.

Sounds like your dealer sucks more so then the 5. Those issues should be fixed as they are uncommon to the mass of 5s owned here.

jackd said:

Get a new garage(If I remember your in Montreal.... drive to Ottawa we can fix it right) and secondly read more posts there are fixes for your issues. Warrenty Card what is that about your warrenty is your VIN code if I am not mistaken.

Define the Rattles?

Wind Noise you got to be kidding....

Door freeze well ask me I had it and it is fixed you got to do some research yourself sometimes specially on a new car......

CHEAP TO BUY BUILT CHEAP that really tells me you don't have a clue what your driving

Last edited:
Zoom5Zoom
Ottawa we can fix it right
Have you ever seen something being fixed in Ottawa???:)
***Warrenty Card what is that about : Extended warranty card.
***Define the Rattles? Interior plastic trim fighting with each other, especially in the dashboard area.
***Wind Noise you got to be kidding....:: Don't tell me you don't have wind noise around the windshield wiper area. Take them off and drive at 100Km/h, you'll see the major difference.
***CHEAP TO BUY BUILT CHEAP that really tells me you don't have a clue what your driving. I know exactly what I drive...I mean my wife drives it most of the time.
She's driving an expensive car built inexpensively...and it shows.
That same well though out car with a better built quality adding about $10,000./$12,000. to the price would be a knock out.
That car replaced a 1995 Volvo Station wagon with 296,000km on the clock which was still more solid and trouble free than the 5 is brand new. I won't try to compare the 5 to my Mercedes as it would not be fair.
CHEAP TO BUY, BUILT CHEAP

I 100% agree with Zoom5Zoom - my 5 is solid as can be, no wind noise, no rattles... just got back from a round trip from Vancouver to Edmonton to Calgary and back home, and it was an absolute joy.

I agree, go to another dealer for service.

I agree with both above - different dealership. Some of them do listen and will try to fix every little thing. Heck, when I had mine in for the crazy ABS module problem I was surprised when I got the paperwork to see that they had fixed rattles that they had noticed during test drives that I hadn't noticed or mentioned.

jackd said:
Zoom5ZoomHave you ever seen something being fixed in Ottawa???:)
***Warrenty Card what is that about : Extended warranty card.
***Define the Rattles? Interior plastic trim fighting with each other, especially in the dashboard area.
***Wind Noise you got to be kidding....:: Don't tell me you don't have wind noise around the windshield wiper area. Take them off and drive at 100Km/h, you'll see the major difference.
***CHEAP TO BUY BUILT CHEAP that really tells me you don't have a clue what your driving. I know exactly what I drive...I mean my wife drives it most of the time.
She's driving an expensive car built inexpensively...and it shows.
That same well though out car with a better built quality adding about $10,000./$12,000. to the price would be a knock out.
That car replaced a 1995 Volvo Station wagon with 296,000km on the clock which was still more solid and trouble free than the 5 is brand new. I won't try to compare the 5 to my Mercedes as it would not be fair.
CHEAP TO BUY, BUILT CHEAP

Challenge is in your hands bring it to ottawa and I will drive it and give you advise...but then again I don't see how a warrenty card is associated to the price of the car???I hope u don't run to your mailbox because it is not coming period.

Have you checked the pitch of the blades when in the off position compared to other Mazda 5's maybe yours is set too high causing undo noise?

Which interior trim? Sit in the back and bring some tape and lable the panels you mention... then you will find out maybe you haven't secured the seatbelt clips in the storage area. It is YOUR feed back to the garage who will help reduce your noises.

BTW the globe of mail in TORONTO has ranked the Mazda 5 way above any Mercedes product in its class JFYI....

End of program

jackd said:

Ask to have the voltage regulator looked at. I had this problem with a ford I owned. I replaced a headlight every two weeks before they figured out the problem. I've had my 5 for nearly a year now and no headlight problems.

Now the rear suspension is another issue altogether... mine squeaks and squaks like a parrot on crystal meth.... but according to the dealer, there is nothing wrong.

Unfortunately for me - my next closest dealer is 2 hours away.

I'm amazed...

mazdaFIVEmike said:
Ask to have the voltage regulator looked at. I had this problem with a ford I owned. I replaced a headlight every two weeks before they figured out the problem. I've had my 5 for nearly a year now and no headlight problems.

Now the rear suspension is another issue altogether... mine squeaks and squaks like a parrot on crystal meth.... but according to the dealer, there is nothing wrong.

Unfortunately for me - my next closest dealer is 2 hours away.

I had the same problem with my suspension and the dealer fixed it without an issue. The front required a redeisgned bushing while the rear required some lubing. 3 months later and no issues.

I can't stand it when dealers give a good auto manufacturer a bad name.

My dealer (Sentry West) in Shrewsbury MA has been unbelievably fantastic.

Back