So frustrated!

blake_peanut

:
2008 CWP MS3
Well, I bought some new tires for my OEM P5 rims. Yokohama AVS ES 100, 205-50-16! They are great except: I get the tires on and the car seems to run left on me, steering wheel isn't perfectly centre it is tilted to the left slightly. When I put the wheel perfectly straight the car runs right. So I figured hey I need an alignment and why not they are new tires. I get an alignment, and the technician tells me that the it was off slightly but not much. So they rotate the wheels to see if that will make a difference. Now the car runs right. I drive back about an hour or so to my aunt's house for easter party and when I get their I notice the right tire wearing on the outter edge. WTF!!! So I take it to a tire place in my hometown and they check the balance, it was off by about half an ounce, they corrected it. Take it for a spin no difference really. They rotate front to back on the right side, no difference. The car will drive straight if I let go of the wheel (tilted to the left slightly). If I put the steering wheel straight it runs right still? I call the tire place from my parents house and he said that the tires need time to settle in the rims and should run about 300-500km on them to let them sit. He said to take my car back to where the alingment was done and tell them that wheel isn't straight and they need to fix it. I explained to him that before I got the alignment it was acting weird. He gives me the well you know they are low profile tires and yada yada yada, but when you come back to London bring your car to us and we will look at it. I explained to him that my car was perfectly fine with my steelies and winter rubbers. He says well they are different! I am so frustrated that my 800 dollars went to s***. I need some guidance, somebody help? Is it a bad tire maybe cause the guy at the tire place said it is possible? Thanx for your help I appreciate it! Things like this really piss me off!!!!

A) WATCH THEM DO ALIGNMENTS... I took my old civic in with a complete custom camber kit installed... they didn't touch my new camber equipment ONCE during the alignment.. they hit a few stock adjument parts... and called it good... as soon as the car was lowered back down (off the lift)... i could tell right away my camber was still off.... I just accept it.. rather than tell them to give me my money back or do it right...

B) New tires should be perfect from day one... I've probably gone through... 5-6 sets of new tires in my life.. .and never had a single problem... in fact after getting them on the car felt SOOO much better (or at least a lot different... depending on if the tires were the same type or not)...

C) If you noticed problems before you got new tires... things will be more difficult.. however I would NOT mention that to anyone trying to fix your alignment... or at least the place that did it after your new tires were installed... as they'll tell you "OH well if you this happened before Us then it isn't our fault"

So yeah.. those are my few cents on the issue...

The biggest advice I can give you is... find a shop that does collision repair... and alignments on vehicles which have had frame damage... They should be able to fix any problem you could possibly have.... as they are used to working with REALLLY messed up vehicles... The name brand tire shops all around the country are used to mom and pop mini-vans which are stock.. and never see a curb or bump in their lives... so alignment on those is as easy as a twist or two and done..

tengoestetempo said:
p5s are supposed to drive off to the right, my mazda mechanic manager told me

Rofl... sadly.. i've had dealerships and mechanics tell me similar things

"Oh, your 2003 CRV is supposed to have check engine light flash on and if while driving"

Thanx!

Thanx for the advice, and yes I have heard some bulls*** before. P5's are suppose to run to the right, I don't think so! Every car will go to the right somewhat because the way roads are angled. But I tested in the middle of the road where it appeared to be somewhat level. I just dont understand: before I got the tires I was fine after it's a lil weird. To me that means the tires did it! 1+1=2, is the way I see it. Was fine before the tires then after new ones I experience my problems. To me the only explanation is the tires. But I agree that I should watch them cause thats what they do, nothing. I do have a print out of the alignment, but again that could mean the paper its printed on. I think I'm gonna take it back to them and say make the steering wheel straight when I drive straight. And I am watching you cause frankly I don't think you did anything to it when I brought it to you! The worst part is I was going to leave my P5 here in my hometown where I bought it and have my dad take it to the dealership to adress my rust issues. Now I can't leave it here! AHHGGG!

I don't think you have to be confrontational about it. I know that would be much more satisfying (MUUUCH more satisfying), but just take it back and say "My alignment is still off from when you guys worked on it. It doesn't track straight, bla bla bla steering wheen straight, car goes right etc etc," but here's what I would suggest. When they pull your car in to work on it, stand in the shop and watch em. I always do that and I've never been told anything, even tho they always have that "saftey first, no customers beyond this point" sign. If they tell you something, stand in the doorway, or just outside of the bay where they're working on your car.

Of course, if they still don't actually do anything then yes, by all means, be an ass and raise hell.

This reminds me that I should probably get an alignment. My car doesn't pull to either side, but my camber is so far off that my tires are bald on the inside yet on the outside have at least half the tread left (on Kumho Ecsta MX).

I bought camber bolts so the shop can't say anything about the camber not adjusting correctly. I think I might paint my goldline springs black and not mention that my car is lowered when I take it in. Maybe I'll even slap my stock wheels w/ snow tires on so that my car looks completely stock.

Yeah I'm not gonna be rude (that generally doesn't get you anywhere) just like what you suggested I will say: when you worked on my car it wasn't completed to my satisfaction. Weird thing is the problem has gotten better, prolly put on roughly 150km since my first post. The steering wheel has straightend out and overall ride quality has improved, WTF? I strongly believe this is all in my head, haha! Thanx for the help guyz! And Kansei an alignment might me a good idea if your tires are wearing uneven = bad!! This is why my problem is so frustrating, nothing worse then brand new 800 dollar tires wearing uneven! Or any tires for that matter.

blake_peanut said:
Weird thing is the problem has gotten better, prolly put on roughly 150km since my first post. The steering wheel has straightend out and overall ride quality has improved, WTF?

Could've been something as simple as a spring that unseated or got twisted out of its seat when the car was up in the air and sat funny at first, then reseated after driving.

Glad things are better Blake! So aside from the alignment issues, how do you like the AVS ES 100s? Any dislikes? I'm strongly considering them as my next replacement to the OEM Dunlops.

Haha I know - fixed itself? Sounds really stupid haha, but I was so frustrated and like WTF! Well I just got back from where I got my original alignment and spoke to the MANager and he was very helpful. A more mature gentleman worked on my car and said it was definately off to the left and corrected it. The manager said that whomever performed the first alignment was definately not going to be aloud to do anymore, haha, I agreed!

And fonzinator, the wheels now that I have had a real chance to test them out are exceptional. I drove a P5 with Toyo Proxes 4 and liked them but wasn't crazy about them and the price was a factor as well. Definatley happy with the AVS ES 100's, I would recommend them! I looked into Khumo too as well.

Hey!! Can anybody turn my rep points green <- <-

Back