New York: Mazda CX-9 press release with specs + pics!

wongpres

:
Ti. Grey Mazda3 GT GFX
New York, USA, 12th April 2006. Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today
debuted the 2007 Mazda CX-9 seven-passenger crossover sport-utility vehicle
(SUV) at the New York International Auto Show. Arriving in Mazda dealerships in
early 2007, the CX-9 is designed and engineered specifically for North America.
The Mazda CX-9 provides unique Mazda design and energetic performance as well
as an up-market interior with class-leading space and unmatched versatility.
Like the Mazda CX-7 presented earlier this year, the CX-9 is a clean break from the
traditional boxy SUVs crowding the US market. Engineered with Mazdas Soul of a
Sportscar signature, CX-9 deftly blends sporty driving spirit with seven-passenger
SUV practicality. Standing out from existing crossover SUVs vehicles that deliver
SUV practicality with a passenger car driving experience the Mazda CX-9 is the
insightful solution not only to the modern familys complex need but also to the
enthusiast drivers desires. And of course Zoom-Zoom is standard.
The North American market continues to play a leading role in Mazda Motor
Corporations global future and financial health, emphasizes Jim OSullivan,
president and CEO, MNAO. The all-new CX-7 and CX-9 were engineered
specifically for North America to help us fulfill ambitious goals. The CX-9 represents
everything a Mazda SUV should be, offering ample power, striking appearance, funto-
drive vitality, precision build quality and unexpected versatility. While other
vehicles in this category focus only on whats behind the drivers seat for the family,
we have engineered a unique solution that is equally as exciting for the driver.
Mazda CX-9 targets young couples and modern families. These outwardly-focused
families havent lost their desire for high-intensity leisure activities, learning
experiences and social interaction. It is also ideal for couples with grown children
who pursue an active lifestyle. Mazda CX-9 is specifically designed to make these
complex pursuits as easy and as pleasurable as possible.

SPACE TO STRETCH
The Mazda CX-9 rides on one of the longest wheelbases in the segment, providing
easy access to its three-row seating. Theres ample room for adults in every
position and sufficient cargo space to accommodate modern American families.
Under the sleek exterior is an interior that will impress demanding customers with its
space, utility, versatility, and premium features.
To ease accommodations for all drivers, the drivers seat and steering column move
quickly and easily over a long range of adjustment. The 60-40 split second row not
only carries three in comfort, it also offers approximately five-inches of fore-and-aft
slide travel and a reclining backrest. In the 50-50-split third row, the seating position
and leg room are both class-leading in numbers and real comfort. Entry to the third
row is easy, with nearly 26 inches of access space between the folded second-row
seat and the C-pillar. Even with the third row occupied, the CX-9 provides 17.2
cubic feet of cargo capacity, eclipsing many large sedan trunks. Both second- and
third-row seats fold flat to allow additional storage all the way up to the back of the
front seats.
Extra thought is invested in small details, such as how the CX-9s seat releases are
configured. For example, releasing the second row seat in order to enter the third
row requires only one simple hand motion to unlatch the seat and move it forward.
Likewise, a clever strap attached behind the third row seats backrest serves as both
a release for folding the seat and a means of pulling it back erect again.

EXTERIOR STYLING A PRIORITY
Many mid-sized crossover SUVs strive for the utilitarian look. The Mazda CX-9,
however, is designed to evoke a strong pride of ownership. Without sacrificing
versatility or efficiency, the CX-9 strives for the sophisticated appearance of a
vehicle costing two to three times as much. Its smooth and flowing silhouette,
prominent wheels and tires, muscular fenders and steeply angled windshield and
backlight give the CX-9 a dramatic-but-refined look.
CX-9s front end is unmistakably Mazda, with its elegantly sculpted sporty five-point
grille and wide, bold bumper. A horizontal streak of chrome floats on the front grille
bar, giving a distinctive and high quality feel. Side windows form a flowing, open and
modern greenhouse, allowing clear vision from all seating positions. The unique
trapezoid chrome exhaust pipe accentuates the fine detail put into the design.

INTERIOR STYLING STANDS OUT
Once inside the CX-9, the driver is greeted by a neatly organized combination of
cylindrical shapes and blacked-out instruments on a T-shaped instrument panel.
Brightly edged gauges with metal-look trim and indirect blue illumination set a cool
mood. Indirect lighting also is embedded in the front and rear door trim and ceiling
for a warm glow. Horizontal elements in areas such as the center panel, door trim
and seat design intersect with vertical accents to create the same harmony present
in fine furniture.
Interior craftsmanship and attention to detail is visible everywhere. Soft trim is
elegantly configured and constructed of top-quality materials and seats have an
inviting yet sporty look and feel appropriate to this type of vehicle. The dash panel
houses large, clearly marked entertainment and climate controls. Delicate stitching
and the metallic look of the floating door trim-grips reveal the designers fine eye for
detail.

ENERGETIC AND REFINED POWERTRAIN
At the heart of every Mazda lies a spirited engine. The CX-9 is powered by a new
3.5-liter V-6 with a preliminary rating of 250-horsepower. Advanced features include
dual-overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, variable valve timing, a high
compression ratio and electronic throttle control. While six-speed automatic
transmissions have until now been exclusive to premium-priced SUVs, the CX-9
provides that desirable feature as standard equipment. The direct benefits to Mazda
customers are optimum acceleration and passing performance, coupled with
excellent highway fuel efficiency.
Drive is either through the front wheels or via Mazdas advanced Active Torque-Split
All-Wheel Drive system. On all-wheel-drive models, various sensors signal control
modules to automatically apportion torque to those wheels most able to provide solid
traction. A computer-controlled coupling, connected with the rear differential,
automatically adjusts the torque distribution, allowing up to 50-percent of the drive
power to be sent to the rear wheels, depending on traction conditions. This allwheel
drive system has been especially well received in MAZDASPEED6 and CX-7
applications.

SURE-FOOTED CHASSIS & BODY
The stiff unibody of the Mazda CX-9 provides a sound foundation for a poised ride
and agile handling. Computer-aided-engineering analysis was used to optimize this
structure, delivering high torsional and bending rigidity with minimal weight. Extra
laser welds and adhesive weld bonding have been applied in critical areas for
enhanced stiffness. Damping sheets applied to floor areas and acoustic foam filler
added to body cavities assure a quiet, high quality cabin environment.
In front, the perimeter frame mounted to the unibody through six rubber isolators
supports the powertrain, the engine-speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion power steering,
and a low friction strut-type suspension system using coil springs. The multilink rear
suspension consists of one trailing arm and two lateral locating members per side.
To minimize cargo-compartment intrusion and permit a wider load space, the rear
coil spring is positioned between the lower lateral member and the unibody. A
damper is located as close as possible to each rear wheel to provide excellent
motion control with minimal friction. Anti-roll bars at each end maximize agility and
control during assertive driving.
Twenty-inch, V-rated, low-profile radial tires (P245/50R-20) are standard equipment
on the top Grand Touring model while Sports and Touring editions roll on P245/60R-
18 tires. As a result, CX-9 looks and feels unusually nimble for its size and is the
clear class leader for driving pleasure.

SAFETY WITH ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY
The Mazda CX-9s safety features are highlighted by an advanced Roll Stability
Control (RSC) system that uses both body-roll rate and wheel speed sensors to
determine when corrective action is necessary. A momentary torque reduction,
combined with an automatic brake application, assists in restoring the CX-9 to an
even keel.
Four-wheel disc ventilated brakes include an Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) to
prevent lockup during emergency use. When excessive wheel slippage is detected,
a Traction Control System (TCS) automatically reduces driveline torque to help
restore traction. Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) reduces driveline torque and
automatically applies one or more brakes to minimize under- or over-steer during
emergency maneuvers.
Additional protection is provided by sensor-activated side-curtain airbags which
extend from the first to the third row. These inflatable restraints deploy in the event
of a lateral collision or a rollover to reduce the likelihood of injury and limb or head
ejection. Inflation is maintained for approximately six seconds for maximum
effectiveness, although the only way these systems work properly is when used in
combination with seatbelts. Pretensioner devices automatically remove slack from
the belt system immediately after a moderate or greater frontal collision and load
limiters are incorporated to provide some give as the occupant moves forward. The
CX-9s front headrests incorporate new design features which are designed primarily
to reduce neck injuries during rear impacts.
CX-9s robust unibody uses the Mazda Advanced Impact-Energy Distribution and
Absorption System to help protect its cabin from deformation harm in the event of a
collision. A combination of large-section members, some made from high-tensile
steel, envelope the passenger compartment to absorb impact energy while guarding
against intrusion.

TRIM AND ENTERTAINMENT FEATURES
CX-9 is offered in three trim levels: Sport, Touring and Grand Touring.
More detail on specific model content will be available closer to launch, but standard
features on all trims include air conditioning, power windows, power door locks with
remote keyless entry, cruise control, and six airbags. To help avoid accidents, all
CX-9s are fitted as standard with DSC, RSC and ABS with brakeforce distribution.
An optionally available power-operated lift gate provides one-touch opening and
closing access to the cargo hold.
Features available in models and packages include leather interior trim, power
adjustment for front seats, high intensity discharge headlamps with automatic-on,
rain-sensing wipers, mirror-mounted turn indicators and drivers-seat memory.

PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS (USA)
*note: specifications are preliminary and subject to change
Overall length
(w/o license plate holder)
199.6 inches (5,071 mm)
Overall width 76.2 inches (1,936 mm)
Overall height w/ 18 inch tires 68.1 inches (1,729 mm)
<without roof rack>
w/ 20 inch tires 68.3 inches (1,734 mm)
<without roof rack>
Wheelbase 113.2 inches (2,875 mm)
Track (front/ rear) 65.1 inches(1,654 mm) / 64.7 inches
(1,644 mm)
Dimension
Seating Capacity 7 passenger
Type MZI 3.5L V6 DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Max. power (preliminary) 250 hp
Engine
Max. torque (preliminary) 240 lb-ft
Transmission Type 6-speed electronically controlled
automatic with manual shift mode
Drive Mazda Active Torque-Split
All-Wheel Drive/ 2WD
Steering Type Rack-and-pinion
Suspension Type (front/ rear) Macpherson Strut/ Multilink
Brake Type (front & rear) Ventilated Discs
Tires (front & rear) 18: P245/60R18
20: P245/50R20
Tires and
wheels
Wheels (front & rear) 18: 18 x 7.5J
20: 20 x 7.5J

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

The CX-9 is powered by a new 3.5-liter V-6 with a preliminary rating of 250-horsepower.

Stickied...Thanks Wongpres and Mikey!

Hmmm...What exactly do they mean by "preliminary"...Does that mean a it's not the final rating or that higher power levels will be offered?

Antoine said:
The CX-9 is powered by a new 3.5-liter V-6 with a preliminary rating of 250-horsepower.

Stickied...Thanks Wongpres and Mikey!

Hmmm...What exactly do they mean by "preliminary"...Does that mean a it's not the final rating or that higher power levels will be offered?

It means the early press release is just going with the standard Ford numbers to be conservative. :)

Expect the final number to be around 270. (burnout)

I thought it was going to have the same motor as the MS6...WTH!:'(

Ok..Ok..I thought this was the CX-7...Doesn't that one have the same motor as the MS6?

I like it, but it looks to skinny. All of mazdas Mid size cars are always so skinny. And why would some body by that, most families have 1-2 kids and a dog. Why spend that kind of cash when you have the CX7 with the same power and less weight?

I don't know, they better have something hidden for this thing to sell well. You know with the options priced on the cx7 it was 30k. This thing will be close to 40 and I just don't see people paying that for a mazda, even if it is worth it.

Hughes412 said:
I like it, but it looks to skinny. All of mazdas Mid size cars are always so skinny. And why would some body by that, most families have 1-2 kids and a dog. Why spend that kind of cash when you have the CX7 with the same power and less weight?

I don't know, they better have something hidden for this thing to sell well. You know with the options priced on the cx7 it was 30k. This thing will be close to 40 and I just don't see people paying that for a mazda, even if it is worth it.

Some people do not want a turbo motor because of the lag so instead they buy a smooth V6.

mikeyb said:
Some people do not want a turbo motor because of the lag so instead they buy a smooth V6.

plus i don't think the CX-7 has a third row of seats. for a lot of people, that's key, esp with kids having to be in some sort of special seat until they're 5 or so.

for example, friends of mine are due for their second kid soon (the first is about 2), and plan on at least one more after that. a third row is necessary b/c you can't really fit three kid seats in one row of seats.

The one thing that scares me the most is how close the back seat is to the rear hatch. There is no space and if you get hit from behind then who ever is sitting there is @#%$! That's for all of the smaller SUVs with a 3rd row seat. I make my son sit in the middle of the car. If I need a big family mover then I'll get a chevy, something that has some room.

so this car is aimed almost squarely at the Chrysler Pacifica.... a 'Sports Tourer', or SUV wannabes that don't want the stigma of 'minivan' and 'sliding rear doors', yet still wants the practicality of a real minivan :p

Me = (strike)

I like the chrome accents outside, but it's not quite well done (looking from the picture). The front and the back need some more angle towards down the ground instead of plain straight horizontal line. (omg)

The chromes around the windows also need some adjustment, more like the CX-7 (i.e. angle and curves).

Furthermore, the moldings around the car is just plain ugly without painting. Some chrome accent underneath the car will be nice (a la Lexus).

Sorry, but I already see a tough crowd for CX-7 and CX-9. GM has just released a new announcement of a Suzuki 7 seat with 3.6L. There's also Acura around the corner with the new RDX turbo, and the new MDX.

What about the anti-SUV crowd!?! (peep)
I don't want to pay more for gas consumption while gas is really going up, and worry about rollover with my whole family in the car while taking curves. :bs:

Just bring the darn Mazda8 here to close Honda's mouth. I'm tired to see families with big Odyssey, or with Sienna with Toyota's reliability logo on it.

Yound and modern family!?! (wrc) I need something with a Mazda badge, something with an elegant and modern exterior body with equipments that fit today days and ages: athletic and classy look, sporty driving, and refinement. (RTM) Hhmm, sounds like the new Mazda image. I want no Grandpa's car (i.e. Toyota/Lexus), no hardcore motorcycle show (i.e. Honda), and no stars yet on my hood (i.e. Subaru) = maybe Nissan, but definitely no Mitsubishi and Suzuki.
I still give Ford a chance to work in the back, but no GM and Benz.

Anyway, thanks for listening and kicking VW in the butth*le. The Touareg was a big mistake (pricey with 5 seats). The Golf V was too late. The no call no show of the Touran was a total let down to fans. Can I even explain more? (poke)

I might get a CX-9, but I definitely prefer the new MPV in Japan (aka Mazda8 in HK). At this rate, if the Kabuza (if I got the spelling right) is coming < afterall, Nissan is bring the GT-R to the US> , I might be in the Mazda family in this generation (i.e. car generation), or should I say Mazdas will be in my garage. In order words, good job Mazda and please keep listening. (glare)

However, as an owner of a Mazda3 SP23, even if the CX-9 comes first and then the Kabuza comes later, I will only buy the Kabuza, and still wait (maybe) for the Mazda8 (hopefully). That being said, if the Kabuza is not attractive enough in pricing, that means that I may turn over to competitor such as Toyota. In fact, I am really anticipating to see how well the new Supra will be. If pricing and the look is right, I might think over it against raw power. But Toyota might just trump the game with hybrid technology: power with less gas consumption = a mind blowing formula. (enguard) Meanwhile, the CX-9 is gone in the mix of fight.

Again, just bring the darn Mazda8 for the family with AWD. Toyota has had it for quite some time. These guys over Toyota are just killers: (boobs2)
Or maybe like that to others: (stooges)

Okay, I will (stfu)

Last edited:
Back