Oil Burning Problem

Mazdamia

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I am having a problem with burning oil...

I have been losing oil pretty constantly for the last 40,000 miles but I have never seen any blue smoke or gotten any of the oil burning smell. The other day I noticed that as I left a stop sign on a steep downhill, my car belched a cloud of smoke. The car was cold but in the two miles before the down hill I didn't have any smoke.

The same thing has been repeating every day as I go to work in the morning. I only get the smoke when I pull from the stop or shift while going down the steep hill.

Any ideas?

Only engine mod is a header and I am running 5w30 Mobil Synthetic.

How many miles on car and at what mileage did you switch to synthetic? Cars that run dino a long time then go to synth sometimes have issues with leakage/seepage.

My 03 with 50k on it is burning about a quart of oil every 2000 or so miles. I'm running mobil one since about 8000 miles.

I havn't been very nice to the engine though lol autoX.

if your using regular oil, should you switch to synth straight up or do it little by little. i have heard different things, but i would like to go to synthetic...i just want to know they best way to do so....

P-Funk! said:
Not a lot of miles for worn rings... dang.

No leaks under the car?

No leaks at all under the car. I haven't been horrible to the car but I do drive consistantly fast to/from work (about 85).

Still, any suggestions as to why the smoke on the downhill???

Smoke under acceleration usually means worn piston rings. Smoke under deccel usually means valve seals.

If you drive down a hill with your foot off the accelerator, i.e under engine braking, this can suck oil past worn valve guides/seals and then it burns off when you acclerate again. But since you say it happened as you left a stop sign to go down the hill, i dunno if this is significant.

Worn piston rings tend to make the car burn oil all the time whereas worn valve seals are indicated by oil burning off after decelleration or after idling along time, it allows the oil to seep past the seals. This was my understanding anyway.

Back