I want new wipers

Crock

:
Totaled
I'm in the market for some new wipers. My stock ones have never been good. It's probably because the car sat on the lot for a year before it was sold and the rubber got dried out. Online research says I need 21" and 19" wipers.

I saw a deal for cheap silicone wipers from cardomain.com this morning but they were sold out. They were CF too which is kinda ricey in my opinion. I'm going for functionality, not looks on this.

I want recommendations for some damn good wipers. I really want to say, wow, these are good wipers. Naturally, I want a good price too. Anybody got something they want to recommend?

just go in your local wal*mart or pep boys or what have you and buy the most expensive wiper blades you can find. probably gonna be bosche all weather or something. who cares about brand theyre just wiper blades. but you really only have to buy them once a year so spend some extra dough on the higher quality ones that wont fade or crack at the 1st sign of bad weather.

i tried some michelin all weathers and they lasted thru the winter, but when winter died down, they started to fade. dealer replaced them at my 30k.

Thanks. You're right; I'm probably over-thinking this a bit. It is, after all, just wiper blades.

I'm a huge fan of my Bosche Icon wipers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

B000BZ5PMW.01-A3DWJ95CJL3OHA._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

not cheap but they work really well. Note, that link isn't to the proper size or anything it was just one of the first google results.

Just SPEED'n said:
^Zverg: my dad just picked me up a set in the U.S last week and yes they ****** rock...

I wish they made one for the rear wiper on the P5. I still have my gross winter wiper on there :'(

I have the Icons on my car and they're worth every penny. Look pretty nice, too.

speedprotegewi said:
any wiper + rainx = window clearing goodness :D

I tried it one summer. The stuff works good but only above 45 MPH. A great deal of my driving is off the highway. Also, it's a pain in the ass to re-apply the rain-x every 2 weeks.

For those who have a lot of highway driving, the stuff is a god send.

zverg said:
I'm a huge fan of my Bosche Icon wipers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

B000BZ5PMW.01-A3DWJ95CJL3OHA._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

not cheap but they work really well. Note, that link isn't to the proper size or anything it was just one of the first google results.

That looks similar to what a friend of mine has on his VW Passat. The whole blade is one big-ass piece of rubber. I'll keep them in mind but the price is definitely steep.

I got mine from Silblade, and i've had them 2 years, through utah winters and they haven't faded at all. I think the come with a lifetime warranty too...

Crock said:
That looks similar to what a friend of mine has on his VW Passat. The whole blade is one big-ass piece of rubber. I'll keep them in mind but the price is definitely steep.

Yeah it's like 45 dollars for both. A lot of new cars are starting to come with these style, either from Bosche or from Valeo (who I think did the research and came up with the idea).

I wonder how that "silbead" stuff is on their site. I used rainx a lot in the past but I read that it dries out wiper blades so I haven't used any rainx since I got my windshield replaced in July. It seems to have some coating from the factory though because water still beads well on it.

if you're broke, you can replace JUST the rubber on your stock blades too.... yes, they can be replaced, so don't toss that s*** out!

TheMAN said:
if you're broke, you can replace JUST the rubber on your stock blades too.... yes, they can be replaced, so don't toss that s*** out!

I actually just saw that page in the owner's manual a few minutes ago when I was looking up the lug nut torque spec. I've never replaced just the blade insert on wipers before. That's the downside to the valeo/bosche style wipers, I believe the blade is glued on to the spring steel so you can't just replace the blade. Hopefully they will last a long time though.

i tried to just replace the rubber blade but i got impatient and the tips of my fingers got all poked and prodded after about 10 minutes. now i just swap the whole thing and it rarely takes more than 1 minute.

meGrimlock said:
i tried to just replace the rubber blade but i got impatient and the tips of my fingers got all poked and prodded after about 10 minutes. now i just swap the whole thing and it rarely takes more than 1 minute.

I can imagine that whole finger poking/prodding process taking place, with the end result of the whole wiper being forcibly removed and flung across the garage. :D

It does take a little finesse the first time to change just the insert, but once you do it, it's not too difficult.

Latest posts

Back