Got surprised at the dealer today!!

rahrcr

Got my exhaust replaced under warranty due to a rusting exhaust tip. I was hoping for a direct replacement but the one I got is a step up. It has a straight through design, larger inner diameter, sounds deeper/louder (Although I didn't want that) and seems to make my car run a bit better. On the cosmetic side, it doesn't have an angled tip and it only says mazdaspeed on one side. The jury is still out on the increased sound of the muffler but the slight extra performance is nice!

Img_0733.jpg

i have that same muffler and i LOVE IT! i also have a 2.5" down pipe with a high flow cat, 2.5" custom mid pipe, minus the resinator and i think it sounds great! enjoy

I had this axleback matted with the GHL DP and it was about the same sound level as the greddy catback with the GHL DP.

sandspeed said:
thats kind of a strange looking muffler, but it is really clean!!

I agree. I think they took a standard muffler and extended the neck on it to ensure that the tip was flush with the bumper. Looks weird from that angle but good from every other angle. Best of all, it seems to provide a slight HP increase and the car seems to have a better throttle response. To me its like getting a Greddy SP for free! The only concern I have is that now I can hear my exhaust a highway speeds, I couldn't before. Life is a trade-off:)

that's the exhaust drone that you're hearing now. i lived with it for a year, but then it started taking its toll on me.

mountjonas said:
that's the exhaust drone that you're hearing now. i lived with it for a year, but then it started taking its toll on me.

Its probably the quietest drone that you will find on a sport compact car though. Not a big deal, just wanted to keep everyone properly informed.

nate0123 said:
I've got that one... I like it

Biggest difference between this exhaust and the stocker is that this one has a much larger opening. The stock one has a large tip but reduces as you move towards the muffler. This one has a very large opening all the way through. I have driven 200+ miles since its been put on. I noticed that the car runs better, has a decent sound, and has a more serious look. My guess is that there are still a few people out there running stock exhausts. If that is the case, I would recommend this mod....especially if you have a rusting stocker and don't mind the additional exhaust tone.(boobs)

I had this muffler as a replacement one for the oem which the tip was cracking... it's been a year and a half and I still like it... deeper, better, nicer sound.

rahrcr said:
I agree. I think they took a standard muffler and extended the neck on it to ensure that the tip was flush with the bumper.

Because they did. On the P5 mazdaspeed axleback it's the exact same muffler canister but with the tip directly after the canister.

I have a P5 one if anyone wants to be adventurous and have the tip extended.

Back