gauging OEM pedal installation

meGrimlock

forever waiting
Contributor
:
DC
:
03 Protege ES
hi, ive tried searching, but the info i found was pretty general and sometimes contradictory. possibly cuz people have since changed out their pedals after posting about it. if anybody can verify what im about to say it would be a great help (or maybe some official installation instructions).

ive looked at all the possible oem offerings for pedal upgrades. im tired of my feet slipping in the rain/winter months. i dont trust myself with power tools unless its an electric screwdriver so i'd like the choice with easiest install. im goin for OEM look cuz im not into flashy mods.

mazdaspeed protege 2003:

5d_1_b.JPG

are the sparcos the exact same as the oem mazda ones? some say these clip onto the clutch/brake and screw into gas pedal. however i've read that all sparcos require drilling. any help with clarification? thanks. (ughdance)

mazdaspeed protege 2003.5 and later:

b8_1.JPG

from info i found in this forum and online stores like protegegarage.com, these are pretty easy to install. just slip on the clutch & brake, and then screw the gas pedal onto the existing plastic pedals. no drilling right? :)

mazdaspeed accessory:

34_12.JPG

also seen on the protege mp3, unable to find a definite answer. these appear to require drilling which will probably result in an eye-patch for me at the end of the day. (pow)

thanks for any advice.
-meGrimlock

so i guess the mzspeed protege 2003 gas pedal is slightly different. its actually larger than the sparco pad because the plastic pedal underneath is larger. but do the '03 OEM pedals still require drilling? thanks.

Can't say about the Sparco ones shown. The bottom set of Mazdaspeed pedals would have to have holes drilled for all pedals. The middle set are as easy as you say, I have them. Okay, maybe not quite so easy...the clutch and brake do slip on, but due to the inflexibility of the metal you will be cussing a blue streak before getting them on. What worked for me was using some dishwashing detergent as lubricant and then a slim pick to work around the outside. The accelerator pedal does have to be drilled for two screws, however you can pop the stock one off and drill it, then pop it back on (I should have done it that way). I really like the pedals, they look great and feel good too. I think the rubber nubs give better grip with wet shoes than the pedals which are straight metal with raised edge holes drilled, but I have nothing to compare to. If nothing else, it's a Mazdaspeed accessory which is good for at least 5 HP!

thanks for the info. might just pick up the middle ones since they are usually 'bout $50. i was looking to add 7 hp with the pedals, maybe one glowing with LEDs? hehe

Back