strut replacements

FL_PR5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
is there any real difference between the tokico HP's and strut replacements supplied by maintenance garages like firestone? like price and comfort, etc.? i'm saving up money for a turbo/paint job (see other thread) so i'm just curious on this since i might have to dive into that budget for new ones. thanks.

I would really like to think there a difference, however I guess I dont have any proof, I just put Tokico's on my P5 with msp springs and it drives alot better then stock ever did, dont know if that will help ya any but I tried.:):)

ChefChris

you're just making want to spend most of my money on the hp's... ahh i want them! so, thanks i guess. i might just go with direct replacements from Firestone and then get some Eibach springs. bleh (ughdance)

there is a difference. The aftermarkets are valved differently and are built for lowered applications. The stock length struts are built to handle a stock spring. If you plpan on going eibachs go with the HP's

yea, i was going to talk to Cullen tomorrow when i get home. i don't think though that all aftermarket struts were made for aftermarket springs, not everyone intends them for that use. i know some people who run stock springs on hp's.

i think it also depends on your location. For example i live in northern new jersey. There are mot pot holes and just torn up roads in this state that i def needed to get aftermarket struts. For someone who lives in lets say florida or in another state that has flat roads and pretty even roads, you can get away with stock struts on aftermarket springs, not that big a deal.
(aftermarket struts with the springs are a much better move though)

From my experience: lowered springs will accelerate the wear of the stock struts. Do both upgraded struts and springs...

ahhh, guys, peer pressure for the hp's. sheesh. guess i'll go that route with aftermarket springs.

Back